• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Trip as a Parent, 3 Days, PPH stay - Lots of Photos (Update: 4/26/2015)

Hey I'm sorry to hear about some more drama...but it sounds like it worked out ok in the end. Some great photos too and that food...I want that potato!!

Hey I'm sorry to hear about some more drama...but it sounds like it worked out ok in the end. Some great photos too and that food...I want that potato!!

We learned a lot of lessons and everything worked out in the end.

That potato was amazing! So tasty and such a great value, will absolutely be getting it again if it's still available when we return to the parks!

Boats, Fairy Photos, and Fantasmic

Upon our return to the room we discovered that my sister was not yet quite ready to get up from her nap. As she was leaving the parks that night she had some packing to do as well. After a quick discussion we decided to return to the park without her and we would meet later keeping in touch via cell phone. We scooted out the door quickly as the Mark Twain was on my daughter's must do list and we were fast approaching the final ride of the day. We dashed quickly to the park and made it just in time to get in line for the last trip around the Rivers of America. My daughter was quite insistent that we stand at the front of the boat on the top level so as soon as the gates were open we scooted as fast as possible and found our spots.

P2vWLlR.jpg

As we made our way around the river, I noted once again that I have never made the voyage out to Tom Sawyer's island. Should we return with the little ones in tow this is toward's the top of my must do as it's one of the few remaining activities in the park I have failed to experience. It also seems like the perfect location for getting some extra wiggles out and having some unstructured play time.

OmUZFYF.jpg

If you are looking for an entertaining read on the way the parks have changed and become a bit more politically correct over the years, I highly recommend checking out the entry for the "Burning Settler's Cabin over on Yesterland. Here it is a peak of the area in it's current iteration. I focused more on the Mink Fink keel boat, but you can see a bit of the cabin scene as well.

evg2ohx.jpg

For another trip down memory lane I bring you a photo of some of the old track from the Western Mine Train ride. This is one attraction I really wish I had been able to experience as it sounds like it was a very fun and pleasant way to tour the park. I love Big Thunder, but I wish they could have placed it without ripping out this piece of park history.

9IWGL2u.jpg

We very much enjoyed our trip and agreed that next time we will try to snag a coveted invitation to the wheelhouse. Although it would be hard to beat the view from our wonderful location. :)

Ye61BEO.jpg

Once we had disembarked we decided to make our way back over to Fantasyland. My daughter wanted to double check if the fairies were still out and about. I was nearly certain they had long since tucked in for the night, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to check. On our way we passed through the castle once again and decided to take the time to do the walk through. I had done this once before and was delighted to discover the new updates. My memories were of simple window displays that largely looked like scenes created with Barbie dolls.

8Tt2l2K.jpg

Such a wonderful way to tell the story and provide a few moments of peace and quiet in the center of the park. My daughter was very enchanted with the storybook at the end.

nMKmR2t.jpg

Doubly so when so saw that the dress changed in color from pink to blue and back again. A small touch of magic, but a wonderful one.

tr3XOwW.jpg

We arrived in Pixie Hollow to discover that the fairies had in fact headed in for the night, but that didn't stop us from taking advantage of the area and getting some photos.

U5g66Ne.jpg

The sun was starting to set so the light was beautiful and the set pieces made for some fun photo opportunities. If you have a few minutes to spare in the early evening, I would highly recommend spending them here.

trKXtRQ.jpg

7OoIBZB.jpg

8vcCdKW.jpg

These ended up being some of my favorite shots from the whole trip, what fun!

After our mini-photo shoot, we decided to go check the line for Storybook Canals as it is a personal favorite of mine and I thought my daughter would enjoy it as well. The early evening light was also ideal for photographing the miniatures. While in line we spotted my sister going by on the monorail, so we texted her our location and that we would meet once we disembarked. This is really such a simple attraction, but one that I have always found to be absolutely enchanting.

prDhrwL.jpg

My daughter enjoyed it, but insists that on our next visit we simply must try the circus train.

jmHzcsn.jpg

I think the decision to add Arendelle was perfect. A great way to add a touch of Frozen to the parks without overdoing things.

UWXsyXi.jpg

We realized that we were getting hungry, but were not quite needing a full meal at this point. We met up with my sister and discovered that she had already eaten, but was not opposed to a snack. I remembered reading good things about some of the treats offered at Fantasy Faire so we made our way over and settled on a strawberry twist, garlic and cheese twist, and a Boysen Apple Freeze. My daughter also managed to talk her way into an Olaf cookie of some sort. Sadly I forgot to get photos, but these were outstanding. The portions were very large and we sat in the hub to eat our snacks and people watch. I also took the opportunity to snag a quick photo of the castle lit up with the fading light.

ZPhAhD6.jpg

With our tummies full it was almost time to get in line for Fantasmic (TIP: Even with FP's it is recommend to show up one hour before the show starts in order to get the best seats). Before that we had some shopping to do. My rule that we had to wait a day to make shopping purchases worked out very well. My daughter took the time to consider what she really wanted and ended up with souviners that she loves and has continued to play with at home. She had spotted an Aurora doll at the Small World gift shop the evening prior and after considering it all day had made up her mind.

yj6H9Jz.jpg

With our favorite princess in hand we made our way back to the Rivers of America to settle in for the show. Along the way I attempted to get a few nighttime shots of Frontierland without my tripod with varying levels of success.

RWNqKhF.jpg

o7q0SiW.jpg

Next time I think I will definitely try for at least one late evening just for taking photos in the parks. Everything is so beautiful at night, but it's really hard to convince a bouncy child that waiting for long exposures is a worthwhile use of precious park time. We arrived in plenty of time to get a great view and settled in to wait for the show. The family in front of us were kind enough to allow my daughter to scoot up next to them as they were right at the front of our section. This worked out wonderfully as it gave my daughter friends to chat with (she was also very excited to share her glow bracelets) and it gave my sister and I some time to talk as well. The hour passed quickly and before we knew it the show had started. I didn't bother with photos as I wanted to just enjoy the experience.

Once the show was over we said goodbye to my sister and decided to get in line for Big Thunder Mountain for one last ride before returning to the hotel. We rode the monorail back and tucked in for the night as we wanted to be up bright and early for our day at DCA.

Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to follow along and comment. It is so wonderful to have the opportunity to share our adventure and has really helped me refocus on the positive aspects of our trip. Can't wait to share our adventures at DCA!

What a wonderful day!! I love those Pixie Hollow pics. I never get to ride the riverboat either at WDW...I don't know why they close it so early...always seem to miss it. So fun that you made it! The whole "souvenier" thing is always a challenge with kids at theme parks (or anywhere really). That was a good strategy! We often come home with junk that they don't even care about by the end of the trip, so I'm glad that worked out better for you!

I am really enjoying your TR. One day I hope to make it out west to visit Disney Land. Air fare for 4 to Disney Land versus $90 worth of gas both ways to Disney World is always the deciding factor though.

Last edited:

What a wonderful day!! I love those Pixie Hollow pics. I never get to ride the riverboat either at WDW...I don't know why they close it so early...always seem to miss it. So fun that you made it! The whole "souvenier" thing is always a challenge with kids at theme parks (or anywhere really). That was a good strategy! We often come home with junk that they don't even care about by the end of the trip, so I'm glad that worked out better for you!

I know in DL they close it early to prep for Fantasmic, not sure about WDW though. I guess the experience wouldn't be as good in the dark though, you would need to light the banks of the river and it just wouldn't be the same. It's a very nice way to spend a 20-30 minutes, so I would highly recommend taking the time to do it! The boats hold a ton of people so it can be a great idea in the afternoon hours when lines are getting long.

Not sure how well the souvenir plan would have worked for a child that was more interested in shopping, but it worked great for us. Every time she saw something new, I would have her debate whether it was better than what she had previously spotted. We also made sure to snap photos so we would remember where the item was and how much. I did have to spend a bit of time talking her out of the nighttime carts with all the blinking and glowing things. I pointed out that many didn't have an easy way to replace batteries and that would render them pretty useless quickly.

I am really enjoying your TR. One day I hope to make it out west to visit Disney Land. Air fare for 4 to Disney Land versus $90 woth of gas both ways to Disney World is always the deciding factor though.

I feel the same way about WDW from the West Coast! The (comparable Disney) hotels and tickets are actually a bit better value for us, but the airfare brings it up above the cost of a trip down to California. I figure we will do it one of these days, but I will wait until everyone is a bit older. With two toddlers, I think DL will be much easier to navigate.

Glad to hear your sister and her husband re-experienced enjoying DLR ... the parks are great in that there are so many ways to enjoy them but I guess some times touring styles just don't mesh well

That's a fun magic shot - and I would definitely be pointing too if I saw two Pascals on someone's head! ;)

Can't wait to ride the DLR Railroad - it is one of my son's favorites at WDW and he can spend all day watching ride on it on Youtube. My dad was also big into trains as well so kinda reminds me of him when we do something related to trains together

The food at the Harbor Gallery sounds / looks really good! Actually, just from reading more TR's from DLR it seems like in general the counter service food is superior to that at WDW

Glad you got some good Facetime in at home and sounds like a fund pin trading session :thumbsup2

Sounds like a nice trip on the river boat and your daughter seems quite please with the view location you got! :goodvibes

Glad things worked out with your plan for souvenirs and your daughter is still playing with hers. Also sounds like you did well with Fantasmic! and it's always great to share some glow bracelets!

Thank you for sharing your trip!

That's funny - I have been on Tom Sawyer's Island so many, many times (maybe because I have several little brothers?) but have never been interested in "wasting park time" on a ride on the Mark Twain. :) We've been onboard, just not ridden it around. I should do that someday. I've never been into the Pixie Hollow area, and I'm glad to know that when it's closed you can still walk through and take pictures. My kids would love that! (They aren't super into fairies, but really enjoyed the recent movie "Epic." I'm excited about the Fantasmic changes with the FP. We skipped it last time because our kids were tired out and we didn't want to spend the last several hours of the evening just sitting and waiting for a halfway decent seat. Your treats sound amazing! (especially since I'm trying not to eat sugar right now) And that is one of my absolute favorite things to do: ride Big Thunder Mountain at night! Glad your evening was enjoyable!

Glad to hear your sister and her husband re-experienced enjoying DLR ... the parks are great in that there are so many ways to enjoy them but I guess some times touring styles just don't mesh well

That's a fun magic shot - and I would definitely be pointing too if I saw two Pascals on someone's head! ;)

Can't wait to ride the DLR Railroad - it is one of my son's favorites at WDW and he can spend all day watching ride on it on Youtube. My dad was also big into trains as well so kinda reminds me of him when we do something related to trains together

The food at the Harbor Gallery sounds / looks really good! Actually, just from reading more TR's from DLR it seems like in general the counter service food is superior to that at WDW

Glad you got some good Facetime in at home and sounds like a fund pin trading session :thumbsup2

Sounds like a nice trip on the river boat and your daughter seems quite please with the view location you got! :goodvibes

Glad things worked out with your plan for souvenirs and your daughter is still playing with hers. Also sounds like you did well with Fantasmic! and it's always great to share some glow bracelets!

Thank you for sharing your trip!

I think it had a bit more to do with the added difficulties of traveling with a child and an adult who is not a parent. One of the best days I ever had in Disneyland was in my twenties, just my sister and I. Either way, we learned what worked and what didn't, so when we travel to the parks again we have a better plan for how to meet up and make the most of it without running into the same problems.

The DLR is so fun! And a great way to get off your feet and travel from one side of the park to the other. I loved the people mover for similar reasons during our family trip in '95. Jealous that WDW still has the TTA.

I haven't been to both parks, but I can say that I have rarely been disappointed by the counter service options at DLR. My biggest complaint is that there is never enough time, budget, and stomach room to eat all the things I want to try! I have been researching WDW lately, and I have to admit it looks like there are lots of great options there as well, just so many things to chose from and often only one or two unique items at any location.

That's funny - I have been on Tom Sawyer's Island so many, many times (maybe because I have several little brothers?) but have never been interested in "wasting park time" on a ride on the Mark Twain. :) We've been onboard, just not ridden it around. I should do that someday. I've never been into the Pixie Hollow area, and I'm glad to know that when it's closed you can still walk through and take pictures. My kids would love that! (They aren't super into fairies, but really enjoyed the recent movie "Epic." I'm excited about the Fantasmic changes with the FP. We skipped it last time because our kids were tired out and we didn't want to spend the last several hours of the evening just sitting and waiting for a halfway decent seat. Your treats sound amazing! (especially since I'm trying not to eat sugar right now) And that is one of my absolute favorite things to do: ride Big Thunder Mountain at night! Glad your evening was enjoyable!

You should defintely try to take the full trip around the river sometime. Get there early in the day and ask about riding in the wheelhouse to make it more special. :)

I really loved the addition of FastPass to Fantasmic. Absolutely the best seats I have ever had with a similar wait. I am really hoping to share it with my husband when we visit again, but I am wondering about the late time and scary factor of the show. May just have to send him with my daughter and hang back at the hotel with the littles. Debating saving for a WOC view room or a Fireworks view room as that might work better for the littles to watch from the room ready for bed. The joy of planning this far out is that I can adjust the budget as needed. I figure it's just a question of timing. We can be there sooner if we tighten the budget, or we can wait a bit and go all out!

REAL LIFE UPDATE

We are moving and life is super chaotic right now. The house is bigger (yay!) but we still have to actually move, which I despise (boo!). This means I have less time for posting. We should be settled in next week and as soon as our internet is up and running I will do my best to wrap up this trip report. Thanks to everyone still following along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter