First Trip as a Family with a 6 month old!

Butler_chic07

Mouseketeer
I'm so glad that I get to explore this section of the board now! I've tried to search for threads for advice, but I didn't really find much. My husband and I are pretty familiar with Disney as we've been several times, however as we are planning our vacation for next year our planning is going to be very different. We'll be traveling with a 6 or 7 month old. This is where I need some help! We know this vacation is going to be spectacular and we are very excited to take what will be a slow paced Disney vacation!

Any advice for us?

If you've taken your young kids what suggestions would you give us?

Thank you all and we appreciate any advice you may give us!

We have been taking our girls annually since they were 3 and 5. They are now 11 and almost 9.

We welcomed our son at the beginning of the year. His first trip was in April and he was 3 months old.

I would say that your expectations of a slower paced trip are a good start.

We had a wonderful trip with him but we really did take it at a snails pace.

We used the baby are centers a lot, as I was breastfeeding.

We carried him in his Ergo carrier just as much as he was in his stroller. The ergo was great for rides and lines. :)

I would recommend buying a seat for your LO on the plane and choosing non stop flights (2 things we did NOT do, and have changed for next years trip).

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Thanks for your reply! We will definitely choose a non-stop flight. We are lucky and fly Southwest which we love, and they are one of the only airlines that has nonstop flights to Orlando from our local airport!

I also plan on taking a carrier. We are just excited to go as a family and make new memories to add to our other Disney memories!

I am going in just over 2 weeks with an almost 5 month old. I will let you know after I get home how it went.

We took a nice umbrella type stroller – one that reclines and has a good shade top. Also added an ankle weight to one of the front wheels so that when we took the baby out of the stroller it didn’t fall backwards from the weight of the stuff we hung on the handles. A fan that clips to the stroller is nice to keep the baby cool. We also brought a rain cover and kept in the bottom basket. When those afternoon FL showers hit we would pull out the rain cover. We made a sign with our last name on it and attached it to our stroller with colored ribbons on it. It made it a bit easier to locate our stroller.

I filled gallon size Ziploc baggies with a disposable placemat, disposable bib, disposable baby spoons, wet wipes, and a smaller baggie of cheerios or gerber puffs (for while we were waiting for the food to come). Then when we ate at a restaurant I would pull out a gallon size Ziploc baggie and have everything we would needed…and we would toss everything once we were done. We did bring sippy cups from home (although you can get disposable sippy cups too) and bottles for night time. We brought a bottle brush and a small bottle of dish detergent to keep in the hotel room.

We shipped a package to the resort ahead of time (we flew to WDW) with diapers, wipes, disposable placements, disposable changing pads, disposable baby spoons, wet wipes, powder formula, etc. It was a lot cheaper to mail a package than pay for an extra suitcase for that stuff. We requested a playpen from the resort so we brought a playpen sheet. We brought a few small toys. At WDW or Disney store you can get a package of 5” plastic Mickey characters for like $12 and our 6 month old loved them! For bath time we brought an inflatable bathtub. We blew it up and would put it in the tub for his bath. We left it inflated the entire trip. After a bath we would dry it out and then put his toys in it. We also brought those baby wipes with soap in them by Huggies. The ones you just wet them and they suds up with baby wash.

For the pool we used lil’ swimmer diapers and a float type thing that he could sit in.

Once we were in the parks it was not bad at all. The baby was entertained with so many people and attractions to look at. There were mild rides that you could bring the baby on (it’s a small world comes to mind).

We rented a city mini GT and it was absolutely wonderful for naps on the go. Also had a carrier for lines and some rides. I ordered diapers and everything online and they were there when we arrived. A fan to attach in the stroller, oh, and a white noise machine all helped. I told my then 5 month old in 2014.

Thank you for all of the good advice. This site is so helpful. I am taking a trip to WDW with an 8 month old next month and I will definitely go get a fan for her stroller!

We scheduled a cruise for when our first born was going to be 6 months. Wouldn't recommend that. :D The thing with your first vacation as a family (and all the ones after that for a while) is that you should expect a radically different kind of vacation than what you've experienced in the past. Your schedule will need to revolve around your child, or you'll end up paying the consequences. So, my advice is to lower your expectations and then enjoy what does end up working out. Take a leisurely pace and avoid over-scheduling anything, as you'll need to make changes on the fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter