First Trimester Downs "Risk Assessment" Question

Mrs. Charming

I'm not your entertainment, get a life.
I just got this little packet from my Reproductive Endocrinologist for a Downs Syndrome Risk Assessment/Screening. I am really torn on how to feel about this. I know that no matter what, I am going to love this baby with all my heart. There is no previous Down's in either of our families, just DH's uncle, who had a spontaneous mutation of Tuberous Sclerosis. With my pregnancy with DD, we were screeneed for everything under the sun because of that. I don't remember exactly what tests were done, but I had called my midwives where my records are, and they said my Quad Screen was fine, everything was fine. I told this to the nurse at the R.E.'s office, and she said this test is much more specific, and I really felt pressured into it.. and that made me uncomfortable.

I just don't know if I should just do it anyway... or is this just going to add a bunch of stress onto this pregnancy for nothing. (Even if the baby has something wrong, it's still for nothing because Im' going to love this kid to pieces... no matter what.)

Any thoughts? I'm just torn, and I know I can turn to you, the DisMoms and Dads.

Lets see the screening I had for my last was 1 in 42 he had Downs. Was it right? Not at all. Too many False Positives. And truthfully if I were to have more children I wouldn't do it. Caused me to stress for nothing, and wouldn't have changed anything.

Good Luck with your decision. I'm sure everything is fine. :)

Lets see the screening I had for my last was 1 in 42 he had Downs. Was it right? Not at all. Too many False Positives. And truthfully if I were to have more children I wouldn't do it. Caused me to stress for nothing, and wouldn't have changed anything.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking.. it's going to give me a set of odds, nothing defnite, and a LOT of stress. And what would it change? Nothing. It just makes me SO uncomfortable that it was pushed on me at *two* appointments... to the point where I wonder if they get kickbacks. They have nothing on my records that would indicate anything that would resemble another risk factor... so why all the pressure? :scared1:

No advice, just wanted to wish you and your new bundle of joy all the best of health and happiness. :grouphug:

I was 38 when I was pregnant with my last one & I did'nt get the test. I knew it was'nt worth the stress. Congrats!

I too passed on this test when i had my kids....did not make a difference to me either way so did not need the extra stress.....i would deal with what i was given at the time as i am a firm believer that you are never given more than you can handle. Now it would have been totally different had something shown up on a ultrasound, then i would have wanted as much info as i could have gotten previous to birth.

Good Wishes to you for a happy and healthy pregnancy and new baby!!!

I just got this little packet from my Reproductive Endocrinologist for a Downs Syndrome Risk Assessment/Screening. I am really torn on how to feel about this. I know that no matter what, I am going to love this baby with all my heart. There is no previous Down's in either of our families, just DH's uncle, who had a spontaneous mutation of Tuberous Sclerosis. With my pregnancy with DD, we were screeneed for everything under the sun because of that. I don't remember exactly what tests were done, but I had called my midwives where my records are, and they said my Quad Screen was fine, everything was fine. I told this to the nurse at the R.E.'s office, and she said this test is much more specific, and I really felt pressured into it.. and that made me uncomfortable.

I just don't know if I should just do it anyway... or is this just going to add a bunch of stress onto this pregnancy for nothing. (Even if the baby has something wrong, it's still for nothing because Im' going to love this kid to pieces... no matter what.)

Any thoughts? I'm just torn, and I know I can turn to you, the DisMoms and Dads.

Is it the blood test screening? I wouldn't do that one, too inaccurate. I did the nuchal fold test (an ultrasound) at 11 weeks with my dd. I don't know if that is just for 'older' moms...I was 36.

Is it the blood test screening? I wouldn't do that one, too inaccurate. I did the nuchal fold test (an ultrasound) at 11 weeks with my dd. I don't know if that is just for 'older' moms...I was 36.

Yeah, it's a blood test, and you put 5 spots of blood on a postcard, and send it in. That kinda rubs me the wrong way. I was thinking of doing the nuchal fold test, because that's a physical measurement of my baby in particular, not just my DNA.

I'm 29, I know I'm not the youngest mom ever, but I don't think 29 is "risky".. but who knows.

If the results of the test (positive or negative) wouldn't change your behavior or attitude towards the baby, then why bother doing the test?

Congratulations!

I got the test with my older son. When I got preg again, I passed. The rate of false positive is quiet high, and frankly it would not change my feelings about the pregnancy/baby. I also passed on the u/s screening. Once again, false positive rate, and it would not change my feelings.

Congrats on the baby! Good luck!!

It was right - your baby had a 1 in 42 chance of having Downs - chances that he didn't were in your favor. It's really not a positive, it just means there is a bigger chance than say someone who tested to have a 1 in 1000 chances.

OP, what test are they talking about? I had a nuchal translucency scan with my twins, non-invasive, and I hear many OB's are no longer suggesting amnio for those who have this test, because it's pretty accurate. I felt so much better after having it.

I was offered it with my twins.. But I passed on it. We had tried for those babies for so long.. it wouldnt matter to us if anything was going on with them.

FWIW, I had the test when it was first developed as part of the pilot program (this is the neuchal -sp?- translucency test), then again with my second pregnancy. Like you, I knew that the results wouldn't change anything - I was going to keep and love the baby no matter what. However, I decided to go ahead with the test just so that if there was likely to be a challenge like Downs, I'd have a few prenatal months to get myself used to the idea, learn more, gather information, and come to grips with that possibility. For me, that was the reason to do the test - it reduced my stress level. If it's increasing your stress level... I say don't bother!

Good luck and congrats on the baby-to-be! :)

I'm 29, I know I'm not the youngest mom ever, but I don't think 29 is "risky".. but who knows.

If this doctor is acting like you're high risk b/c of being 29, get another doctor.

My thoughts on such tests are...if you wouldn't do anything about it, then why do you need to know ahead of time? I'm 40, still trying for more babies, and I won't be having such tests done. I see no point, as I wouldn't DO anything about it.

I agree with TxDis. My OB and I discussed the pros/cons to doing the test. I told him I wouldn't terminate for ANY reason, ever. He absolutely was supportive, but suggested that perhaps I'd consider doing the test so I could be better prepared and prepare family members if there were to be a diagnosis that we might need to come to terms with. After giving it some thought, I decided I'd rather know early and be ready than be surprised and unprepared.

I'm a planner, and I would rather be prepaired. So, I would probably get the test done. Lots of pregnant women have them done, even when they are not high risk. It might not necessarily change how you feel about the baby but would give time to read up on topics, make plans, prepare yourself and family, and be ready for any special needs there might be. But, it probably would add stress if something came back. So, I think everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. Good luck and Congrats!

If this doctor is acting like you're high risk b/c of being 29, get another doctor.

My thoughts on such tests are...if you wouldn't do anything about it, then why do you need to know ahead of time? I'm 40, still trying for more babies, and I won't be having such tests done. I see no point, as I wouldn't DO anything about it.

When i was pregnant they told my I was higher risk for being older... Older?? I was 27!! I was high risk because of the twins for sure.. and just having had a miscarriage... I could see that.. But my age? NOT! It wasnt my Dr. saying it, it was one of the midwives in the office. Who refused to see me after finding the twins in there.

I skipped it with no regrets. Too many false positives and I wouldn't have an amnio or terminate anyhow, so I felt like there was no point for me. My healthy little girl is asleep on my lap as I type this. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter