First Timers to DC....Can Anyone Help?

vicky33006

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone!!!

Somehow I posted this before I was supposed to...so if anyone sees an empty thread, my apologies!:rolleyes1

Anyway, DS (9 at the time of the trip) and I are taking a trip to WDW just him and me this summer! We are sooooo excited! We are staying on site at WDW and will be there for nine nights.

Originally we had planned to spend one day at Universal touring mostly the HP areas. Long story short there is it just sounds like it's going to be miserable with the heat and insane crowds because of Diagon Alley. I pretty much refuse to stay on property there for early access while we already have a room at WDW (Pop).

So.... DS wants to go to Sea World. Dumb dumb me showed him Discovery Cove though and he's now absolutely obsessed with the whole experience including the dolphin experience. Now, I knew the price would be high and I was fine with that, but when I priced everything on the website this morning, the total came to almost $700!!! Eek. This doesn't include any extras except the dolphin experience obviously.

That's quite a large amount for a day. This vacation is already pricey...so this is a big decision. Now if it's truly worth it I will still do it. I just need to know what you think. Given that price... is it worth it? We've looked at videos online and like I said....DS can't stop talking about it. I think he's hoping to do this more than just about anything. I guess that really makes it "worth it" right? It's just a bit of sticker shock for me I guess. Would you all be able to answer some questions before I make this commitment?

Photos?- From what I've seen even the photos look pretty expensive? Of course I want pictures if we do this, but I hate to spend $160 for a day when I've spent that for my entire trip for Disney pics on the Memory Maker.

Food?- It's included correct? Is it unlimited? We aren't big eaters, but this still makes me feel at least a little better about the whole thing...

Sea World instead?- If I decided we just shouldn't spend this (though I'm leaning toward doing it) has anyone done the half hour dolphin experience there? Was that pretty neat?

Anything else to sell me either way? I know you all can't make the decision for me, but you know so much more than I do! I think this is a unique experience for DS so that alone makes the price not seem quite as bad... I guess I was just shocked. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
Don't forget Discovery Cove tickets include SeaWorld & Aquatica for 14 days. So if you visit all three parks (you will pay parking at SW and AQ) then the cost per park comes down. All food and alcoholic beverages are included at DC and parking is included.

Aquatica is good fun with some different slides & experiances compared to the Disney Waterparks. Discovery Cove looks a lot more relaxing.

That's quite a large amount for a day. This vacation is already pricey...so this is a big decision.

Adding on a day at Discovery Cove to a Disney vacation is going to be expensive.

Let me preface my full comments by saying Discovery Cove is my favourite Orlando park, without question. It blows anything Disney has or does out of the water. If I were going to recommend any theme park in Orlando to someone visiting for the first time, it would be DC without hesitation. The park is gorgeous, the staff are incredible, the "inclusive" feel is like nothing anywhere else, and the experiences (petting, feeding and getting a kiss and "ride" from a dolphin, swimming with rays and tropical fish, coming eye to eye with a shark, watching the marmosets and otters play as you swim alongside them) are unforgettable. It really is that good.

But DC for a single, stand-alone day is expensive, because you are only using one of the components for which you are paying. Discovery Cove automatically provides 14 days admission to both SeaWorld and Aquatica, two awesome parks that are well worth a visit (more than once). To not use those included admissions is definitely decreasing the perceived "value" of DC.

To answer your question above, your breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks (including alcohol) are all included at Discovery Cove. Parking is free. You also get a free family photo, a snorkel to keep, and even things like sunscreen, shampoo, towels, and lockers are provided at no charge. If you are thinking of doing the dolphin swim, then I would absolutely recommend budgeting for the photo package. You will regret it if you don't. The photographers are right there in the water with you to capture those moments that you won't soon forget.....and those pics will become the most treasured souvenirs of your trip. They are high quality (both digital files on a CD and the physical prints) and worth every penny.

If you were looking at substituting SeaWorld instead of DC, you would find LOTS to do there that a 9 year old would enjoy (and you, too). Definitely a different type of fun than DC (the two parks offer a totally different experience) but well worth a day away from Disney. The shows are incredibly done, the rides are super fun, the animals are absolutely awesome, and its a place where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. No pressing requirement to schedule, schedule, schedule like the Disney parks, which I is marvelous in its own right.

If you are having a tough time justifying the price, quite honestly.....I would take a pass on it until the next trip, then devote your next vacation to discovering the SeaWorld family of parks (Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens). If you do that, rather than seeing it as expensive, I think you would find how much more affordable (yet still incredible awesome) a non-Disney Orlando vacation can be.

Don't forget Discovery Cove tickets include SeaWorld & Aquatica for 14 days. So if you visit all three parks (you will pay parking at SW and AQ) then the cost per park comes down. All food and alcoholic beverages are included at DC and parking is included.

Aquatica is good fun with some different slides & experiances compared to the Disney Waterparks. Discovery Cove looks a lot more relaxing.

Thank you so much for the reply!!!

Unfortunately, because most of the vacation is already planned, we won't be spending any more than one day at SW....whether it be DC or SW itself. If we were able to spend more time there then the free admissions would help out with the cost quite a bit!!

Adding on a day at Discovery Cove to a Disney vacation is going to be expensive.

Let me preface my full comments by saying Discovery Cove is my favourite Orlando park, without question. It blows anything Disney has or does out of the water. If I were going to recommend any theme park in Orlando to someone visiting for the first time, it would be DC without hesitation. The park is gorgeous, the staff are incredible, the "inclusive" feel is like nothing anywhere else, and the experiences (petting, feeding and getting a kiss and "ride" from a dolphin, swimming with rays and tropical fish, coming eye to eye with a shark, watching the marmosets and otters play as you swim alongside them) are unforgettable. It really is that good.

But DC for a single, stand-alone day is expensive, because you are only using one of the components for which you are paying. Discovery Cove automatically provides 14 days admission to both SeaWorld and Aquatica, two awesome parks that are well worth a visit (more than once). To not use those included admissions is definitely decreasing the perceived "value" of DC.

To answer your question above, your breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks (including alcohol) are all included at Discovery Cove. Parking is free. You also get a free family photo, a snorkel to keep, and even things like sunscreen, shampoo, towels, and lockers are provided at no charge. If you are thinking of doing the dolphin swim, then I would absolutely recommend budgeting for the photo package. You will regret it if you don't. The photographers are right there in the water with you to capture those moments that you won't soon forget.....and those pics will become the most treasured souvenirs of your trip. They are high quality (both digital files on a CD and the physical prints) and worth every penny.

If you were looking at substituting SeaWorld instead of DC, you would find LOTS to do there that a 9 year old would enjoy (and you, too). Definitely a different type of fun than DC (the two parks offer a totally different experience) but well worth a day away from Disney. The shows are incredibly done, the rides are super fun, the animals are absolutely awesome, and its a place where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. No pressing requirement to schedule, schedule, schedule like the Disney parks, which I is marvelous in its own right.

If you are having a tough time justifying the price, quite honestly.....I would take a pass on it until the next trip, then devote your next vacation to discovering the SeaWorld family of parks (Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens). If you do that, rather than seeing it as expensive, I think you would find how much more affordable (yet still incredible awesome) a non-Disney Orlando vacation can be.

Thank you so much for taking the time for this reply! I have to tell you I spent hours reading your TR last night on and off. It nearly has me convinced that we have to go to DC!!! I'm still very on the fence here. I know I should do the practical thing and put it off for another trip, but at the same time we won't have this opportunity again. We will certainly be back in the Orlando area and I'm thinking a break from a WDW vaca would be great (we've been 3 times in the last 3 years), but this is probably the only time we will take a vacation just the two of us. I'm selfishly thinking how cool it would be to experience this with just him and me. It just looks so amazing...and so completely different from the other experiences we will have on this vaca.

DS is nearly obsessed with this experience at this point...haha. He spent over an hour last night watching videos of other people at DC, and he even read part of your TR! I think I might be a lost cause at this point... I still have to think about it and see where I can shave some other stuff off of the budget. We can swing it... I think I just had some sticker shock. I judge whether something was "worth it" by the look on my DS's face after we are done... I'm thinking by that criteria I can't go wrong.

Am I right that the photo package is about $160? Ugh... I can't imagine passing that up. I guess I need to figure that in as well. Oh well...at least food is paid! Haha

We went in 2012 as a group of 11, we had the most fantastic days and everyone ages 10 to 58 loved every second of the day and the pictures we got are very dear to us. The photo package is worth every penny it costs.

Gina is right though, coming back to Orlando to do a non-Disney holiday is a good idea. My DD (12) & DS(15) have just about had their fill of Disney. They still love US & IOA and DC was on the top of their lists this year to visit. We are going with friends who have never been before so they are doing the dolphin swim but we have opted to go for the day and not do the swim.

Decisions, decisions, I guess if push came to shove and I could afford a day at DC without spoiling or putting too much strain on the rest of my trip (or my wallet) I would do DC is a heartbeat!

We love Discovery Cove, dolphin experience once, resort guests 4 times. We go off season and use discounts. We bought photos only on dolphin trip and I didn't think it was that much, it was about 3 years ago. Last trip was December with our whole family.

I've never paid anything even close to that amount of money since we go off season and use discounts. I guess my question would be - if you did wait for another trip - will your schedule even allow you to come the off season times that it's much less? If not, then maybe it's just meant to be that you all are going to have this very special day and it will be worth every penny!!

And remember to do "fuzzy math" and deduct cost of parking, breakfast for two, nice lunch for two (both all you can eat), snacks and drinks all day like hot pretzels etc that you would pay for at any other park (enough food we didn't want dinner), one free photo, free snorkels to take home and a day that will literally take you away to a lush tropical place. With the limited number they admit this also would be compared to one of WDW private tours but much more. Fuzzy math :) Another consideration - I've looked around and you probably won't find a more reasonable dolphin experience anywhere (the cost between swim and non-swim). The staff and dolphins there are great. We had our DS who is disabled and I was absolutely amazed at his experience. Oh and we finally learned, grab one of the life vests, it makes floating all day a breeze. My DS is a great swimmer but it's very tiring, the vest made all the difference.

Plan to arrive at opening and stay all day long!!!! :fish: And I know it's a bit extra but if you can swing a water camera (nice ones under $150) you can have it with you all day except with the dolphins. We have amazing pictures of our day - and the camera is great at WDW on rainy days or at water parks.

Last edited:
Thanks sooo much for all your replies. I took the week and really considered it. I decided that this is one of those great experiences that we can afford with a bit of extra budgeting. So.... I did it. We will be at Discovery Cove in July!!! I'm so so excited! This is actually now the experience I think both of us are most excited for. We LOVE Disney, but it will be nice to get away to a place where the crowds aren't so crazy and we can just have an amazing experience. Now I'll just hope for good weather. Thanks again everyone!!!

Thanks sooo much for all your replies. I took the week and really considered it. I decided that this is one of those great experiences that we can afford with a bit of extra budgeting. So.... I did it. We will be at Discovery Cove in July!!! I'm so so excited! This is actually now the experience I think both of us are most excited for. We LOVE Disney, but it will be nice to get away to a place where the crowds aren't so crazy and we can just have an amazing experience. Now I'll just hope for good weather. Thanks again everyone!!!

:jumping1: :banana: :dance3:

So.... DS wants to go to Sea World. Dumb dumb me showed him Discovery Cove though and he's now absolutely obsessed with the whole experience including the dolphin experience. Now, I knew the price would be high and I was fine with that, but when I priced everything on the website this morning, the total came to almost $700!!! Eek. This doesn't include any extras except the dolphin experience obviously.

What extras exactly? Do you mean the photo package, cabanas? Or other experiences within the park, as every experience in the park is included.

That's quite a large amount for a day. This vacation is already pricey...so this is a big decision. Now if it's truly worth it I will still do it. I just need to know what you think. Given that price... is it worth it?

I asked this same question and received a unanimous, YES! Also, it's actually pretty cheap when you consider that you also receive a 14 day pass to Sea World AND Aquatica. So you're getting three parks, for one price. Plus, you're getting breakfast, lunch and unlimited snacks and drinks (including alcoholic).

We've looked at videos online and like I said....DS can't stop talking about it. I think he's hoping to do this more than just about anything. I guess that really makes it "worth it" right?

Yes ;)

Photos?- From what I've seen even the photos look pretty expensive? Of course I want pictures if we do this, but I hate to spend $160 for a day when I've spent that for my entire trip for Disney pics on the Memory Maker.

I wouldn't bother myself. But I also have a great camera and know how to run it, lol (I'm a photographer). But assuming you're not ALL going in the water together, I would just give someone the camera to use and save the money.

Sea World instead?- If I decided we just shouldn't spend this (though I'm leaning toward doing it) has anyone done the half hour dolphin experience there? Was that pretty neat?

You get Sea World included for free with this.

Anything else to sell me either way?

This is an experience unlike any other that you will get. Disney is Disney yes, but rides are rides quite frankly, and you can get them anywhere. Even aquariums. There are aquariums in the US that are arguably better than Sea World. But this... you will not find elsewhere. Also, I've been told that it is a really nice break from the theme parks. It's also much less crowded since they only allow so many people in per day.

You will not be sorry. We went to DC a few years back with my children who are not 11, 11, and 6. We are going to WDW in August but we were thinking
of doing a road trip in July since I am going to have annual passes for SW and Aquatica. I asked the kids if they were up to traveling down to Fl in the car (we live in NJ). The first thing they said is "only if we can go to DC". They loved the day we spent there and it was such a great experience (and we didn't even
do the dolphin experience). Get there at opening. My kids still talk about the virgin pina coladas they drank all day.

You will not be sorry. We went to DC a few years back with my children who are not 11, 11, and 6. We are going to WDW in August but we were thinking
of doing a road trip in July since I am going to have annual passes for SW and Aquatica. I asked the kids if they were up to traveling down to Fl in the car (we live in NJ). The first thing they said is "only if we can go to DC". They loved the day we spent there and it was such a great experience (and we didn't even
do the dolphin experience). Get there at opening. My kids still talk about the virgin pina coladas they drank all day.

This makes me even more excited!! Thanks so much for posting this. We're really looking forward to DC. :-)

we are planning an all US/IOA trip and are adding Discovery Cove (NO Disney this time kids have been 3 times) I am so excited

When we were there my children got to hold this dwarf owl that a handler had. I got a picture of them all holding it. The bird sanctuary had the most beautiful
birds I have ever seen in my life. The children were given food to feed the birds who fly right up to you and sometimes land on your shoulder or hand. It was amazing. The lazy river there was awesome too. I recommend wearing those beach rubber shoes because my feet got a little irritated since the bottom is
concrete-like. It was an awesome day.

We are planning aug 2016 with the dolphin swim . My daughter is obsessed with dolphins . From what i am gathering i now need to add the photo package is there anything else i need?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend! You can add packages which cover a private cabana, a tote bag, photo package. Have a look on the DC website at the packages! We never added the package last time but when we went with my sister in 2012 we split the cost of the photo package between us - it was so worth it. We go back again August 8 and we can't wait!

We went last month and it was the highlight of our vacation. The staff is incredible and we definitely plan to go there again. My dd15 did trainer for a day and loved it. The rest of us (mil, fil, dh, dd17) did day passes with the elite cabana package and had a blast. We got there at about 7:30am and stayed until closing. It was a perfect relaxing break after 2 days at Universal. Snacks were great -- loved the warm pretzels, fresh cookies, Shamu ice cream bars and frozen drinks. I would suggest you wear water shoes since the lazy river (my favorite) can be rough in spots.

Hi everyone we'll be going to Discovery Cove for the first time next May, it's just me and DH, our kids won't be joining us due to their jobs. I've been reading up on all the add on's and would love to rent a private cabana, does anyone know how much a private cabana costs? We won't be doing the dolphin swim this year, we are planning a big family trip, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc...in 2017 and will do the dolphin swim with all of the family. I'd appreciate any and all the info you can give!! Thanks so much!!

Hi everyone we'll be going to Discovery Cove for the first time next May, it's just me and DH, our kids won't be joining us due to their jobs. I've been reading up on all the add on's and would love to rent a private cabana, does anyone know how much a private cabana costs? We won't be doing the dolphin swim this year, we are planning a big family trip, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc...in 2017 and will do the dolphin swim with all of the family. I'd appreciate any and all the info you can give!! Thanks so much!!

Cabanas, on their own, are around $199 and seat up to 6. For a cabana-only reservation, you can only book a max 3 weeks in advance....if there are any still remaining. In busy times, they very well may all be gone by the time the three week point arrives.

https://discoverycove.com/en/offers-and-upgrades/

Private Cabanas
Private cabanas are available for rental at an additional fee and are tucked within the lush landscaping. Complete with table and chairs, chaise lounges, and rolled towels, Cabanas provide a special place for up to 6 guests to relax when not in the water exploring. Cabanas can be rented up to 3 weeks in advance of your reservation date. Cabana locations vary and cannot be guaranteed. To reserve a Cabana more than 3 weeks in advance please inquire about the Elite or VIP Package. Space is limited. Call 1-877-557-7404 to reserve your cabana.

To secure a cabana sooner than 3 weeks out, you have to book a special occasions package, such as the Elite package. If doing the dolphin swim, then the Elite package can be a good deal as it comes with the full photo package, the cabana, and a few additional souvenir items for less than the cabana ($199) and Discovery photo package price ($229). The Elite package is $399 https://discoverycove.com/en/offers-and-upgrades/special-occasions/ .

Thank you for the information on the private cabanas Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter