• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timers- Italy or Greece

delauzons

Mouseketeer
We have never done an Adventures By Disney and have never travelled to Europe. It would be me and my husband both 50, and our 3 daughters-11, 16, and 20. We are looking at Greece or Italy. It would be next summer. Recommendations?preferences? Opinions?

You can't go wrong with either of them. We haven taken 7 ABD and the two places you selected are our favorite. Italy was our first ABD and we just did Greece a few weeks ago. Greece was probably one if the most beautiful places we have been but Italy was amazing too. I think Italy is a good place to start and then the following year do Greece.

Thanks! So happy to hear from someone that did both. May I ask which Italy one you did? Also have you ever done any Taulk Bridges tours? I see they do Italy but not Greece. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if we would be able to do another one soon after as they are pricey. This one would be for our 50th Birthdays.

I've never been on either of the ABD's, but I've been to both countries a few times. You can't lose. They're both wonderful. If you have a gut feeling or preference I'd go with that. However, if you're looking for input, I'd probably start with Italy too then follow up with Greece.

I agree with the others; you can't lose with either.

I didn't actually do the Italy ABDs, I did the Med cruise ABD/DCL add-on, which had activities from both Italy trips. Loved it! (Seeing Michelangelo's David was AMAZING, and they do a private tour of the Vatican now that looks like a once-in-a-lifetime experience.)

I did the Greece ABD last year, and of my 5 (so far) ABD's, it's definitely my favorite. Beautiful country, amazing history, and a trip with a great blend of activities, and really good food!

Sayhello

Both will be good..... but lean towards Italy.

Note....... Remember to have European Plugs ( 2 pin ROUND )

for your Chargers etc.

Note......... Money is Euros ...... No problem as 100 cents = 1 euro

If bringing Euro cash AVOID €100 euro notes ( green ) as they are

Not a common sight in everyday use

Coins are 1, 2 5, 10 , 20 & 50 cents Then 1 Euro , 2 Euro

Followed by Notes ,different colours, 5 Euro, 10 Euro, 20 Euro & 50 Euro

Note ..... You All will need Passports..... you knew that annway.

P.S. I have never been to Greece But many times to Italy.

I've done both the Viva Italia and Greece ABD's and have loved both. However, the first ABD I did was the Med Cruise Add-on(that got me hooked on ABD). As a result, I have returned to Italy three times to see everything that was on my bucket list(two Med Cruises and the Italy ABD). If I had just done the Bella and Viva ABD's to begin with I would have seen just about everything in only two trips. You live and learn, but the cruises went to other places I wanted to see too.

Having said all of that, both are great trips. Having done 4 ABD's to date, the Greece one is my favorite. However, I love Italy and have enjoyed the many times I have gone there. While I probably won't go back to Greece, I would be very happy returning to Italy. If you do Italy, just realize you won't see everything in one trip. You will see the big things, but maybe consider adding on a couple of days to see everything on your list.

We just returned from Greece and I have to say it was an adventure of a lifetime. The people, the food, the history. There was something for everyone. And Mary, our local guide was incredible. Our second guide, Armando really helped to put the magic in the trip as well. Italy is next for us...but based on what I just experienced I can't help but recommend Greece!

I agree it was such an amazing experience. We went in July and it was one of our favorite ABD trips.

My wife and I are scheduled for the "Adults Only" trip next month and we cannot wait. Your experiences only heighten the anticipation. Any tips that you can provide regarding restaurants,things to do during the free time, things to pack, etc. would be greatly appreciated. We are also spending an extra night in Crete, so your recommendations there would also be welcome.
BTW, we did the Viva Italia trip in 2010 and it was the best vacation we have ever had. As great as the Cowboys and Canyons trip was last year, the Viva Italia was even better. I highly recommend it.
Thanks.:yay:

My wife and I are scheduled for the "Adults Only" trip next month and we cannot wait. Your experiences only heighten the anticipation. Any tips that you can provide regarding restaurants,things to do during the free time, things to pack, etc. would be greatly appreciated. We are also spending an extra night in Crete, so your recommendations there would also be welcome.
BTW, we did the Viva Italia trip in 2010 and it was the best vacation we have ever had. As great as the Cowboys and Canyons trip was last year, the Viva Italia was even better. I highly recommend it.
Thanks.:yay:
For free time in Athens, I highly recommend the Ancient Agora, and the Museum of the Acropolis. I downloaded a Rick Steves walking tour of the Ancient Agora, and it *really* was wonderful for explaining what you were seeing. And the Museum of the Acropolis is really beautiful, and well organized. Fabulous! Be sure and go up to the cafe, for the amazing views of the Acropolis. (The food was really good, too.)

You are so going to love this trip!

Sayhello

Our first ABD was Viva Italy (with Heidi and Marco) back in 2007--went to Rome a few days early as there is so much to see there. I loved the pace, the feel...and all of the "wow" sights that had meaning even to our then not quite 7 DD and our then 13-yr-old DS. It got us hooked on ABD. We did Greece in 2012, and it is a family favorite. Athens is all hustle and bustle but what sights (as SayHello notes above)! The rest was just fun--I think over the years Disney has added more unique family activities to each trip (canoeing, swimming in the Caldera, donkey rides...other trips have horse rides, archery, bicycling...on and on). If I were to make a recommendation I would say the Viva Italy (and Germany, and London/Paris) for families with younger kids, and trips like Scotland and Greece for families with teens and older.

In terms of places to eat while at Porto Elounda....the Old Mill restaurant was definitely 5 star. A wonderful place, beautiful view, spectacular service and top notch food. It's one of the dine around options for one of your nights. Elounda, a town not far from the resort has lots to choose from. On one of our free nights we were so wiped that room service and movie was our choice. And a good one it was! There is a ton of food everywhere, so you may find that you really aren't all that hungry for large meal every night. Keep in mind that where ever we went the portion sizes were large! We finally caught on and often just went with 2 or 3 appetizers for all 3 of us. More than enough.

For other tips...we went in mid August and it was HOT! Disney supplies tons of water so no problem there. bring lots of sun screen! It's a bit expensive there. We bought hats on our second day in the Plaka. They were cheap and lasted us the whole trip. We just turfed them when we were done.

Enjoy. You will have a fabulous time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter