• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timer to WDW - PLEASE HELP!!

ghubs

Earning My Ears
I am planning a first time visit for 4 nights in mid Sept 2001 with our family of 5 (kids 16, 13, 9). Looking for direction on good value hotel ($80-120 night) on site or off. At this point I am leaning towards Holiday Inn Family Suites (KidsSuite) or AllStar Sports (2 rooms). I seen a post for $49 room rate. Coincerned that HIFS may be more for younger kids and my teens will be overcome.

Any suggestions for ideas would be welcome as this may be the last "family" vacation before the oldest is off to college and I want to make it the best. Look forwrad to your help. Thanks.

ghubs, as you are going for just the four nights, I would be more inclined to look at the All Stars to get the maximum Disney fun you can out of the trip. Not only do you get a more enjoyable hotel for your children's ages (the Sports theme should be a big hit with teens), you will also benefit from early entry to the parks, which is worth a lot on such a short visit.

we just got back last friday from Double Suites maingate east..its on 192, we got a 2 bedroom/2 bath/2story suite w/full kitchen for 119.00 a night...i did do a review, so if you do a search for double tree, you should find it.

If you can't stay on site...check out floridadreamhomes.com. We rented a 3 bedroom home from them 2 years ago and loved it. A newer house in a subdivision with lots of space and a private pool for a VERY reasonable price. It only took us about 5 minutes to get to the MK parking lot! I was skeptical at first but it turned out great...contact Lance Boyer...he will answer all your questions!

ghubs, If you want to go out in style, meaning if you want to make the last trip the best, I suggest finding out more about the $49 rates at the All Star Resorts. By staying on sight rather than off, both of which I have done, makes for a better vacation in my opinion. By staying on sight, you can take advantage of the bus system, get early entry into the parks, stay at a cool themed hotel, and see the joy of your family as if it were your first vacation anywhere. Also, try and see about getting unlimited access passes into the parks rather than a 4 or 5 day hopper pass. this will allow you to see more without having to cram everything into your stay, which can make for a hectic situation. Again, experience has shown me this. I hope I have been of some help. I'm not saying that staying off sight will be bad, I'm just saying that I think the vacation might be better by staying on sight. I am a little biased, though.....take care and good luck.......Mickey76

1980-off sight
1985-off sight(Hyatt Grand Cypress)
1988-off sight(Days Inn)
1992-off sight(Hyatt Grand Cypress)
1995-off sight
1997-All Star Music Resort
1998-off sight
1999- Carribbean Beach Resort

All my kids love HIFS. Last summer the kids were 5, 8, 13, 14 (and the year before the then 14 yo DS) and every one of them stated that their favourite place was HIFS. In '99 we split HIFS and Beach Club, in '00 it was HIFS and Dixie. Both times HIFS won out. :confused: Go figure! We had actually booked ASM last summer before Dixie, and after a quick (crowded pool and very hot look around visit to the resort) the kids said, Thanks, but we like HIFS!

We made good use of the microwave and fridge and the breakfast buffet paid for itself with 6(7 in'99) people. The pools were perfect for the older ones even without a slide. They enjoyed the games room, and the TV/Nintendo in the rooms.

Only YOU can make that decision. Just know that sometimes the kids don't see eye to eye with us. :rolleyes:

I'm still scratching my head that they preferred HIFS to BC!! :earseek:

I LOVED HIFS!! AND HATED ALL STARS. All stars was no more exciting than a motel 6 room!!

HIFS was a Luxery vacation!!

We stayed at Holiday inn sunspree resort my kids 3,7,9,14, They loved it, we stayed at all star too but very small,
Mrsmom
allstar Dec 95"
holiday inn sunspree Oct 98"
Westgate lakes Sept 2000
Hotel royal plaza Feb 2001
westgate lakes Nov 2002

If you are looking for a suite-type hotel, you may want to try the Residence Inn Resort. It is opening next week and is located in Lake Buena Vista, off Palm Parkway. It is Caribbean themed and will have waterfalls, and tropical landscaping. They have a rate of $89 per night and it includes hot breakfast buffet, cocktail hour, and loads of other stuff. You can get that rate from http://www.orlandodiscountrooms.com/residenceinnlbv.htm

I should be able to let you know how the hotel is after a few weeks, and will be sure to post right here!

Cheers!

I must tell you that we stayed HIFS and loved it. Went touring All stars and would never stay there! THe motel 6 comment from the early post is right. The pools are small and not lit well. THe HIFS was so nice and even with two rooms at all stars the atmosphere was not friendly. I almost stayed in two rooms there and after seeing them I was soooooo glad that we went with HIFS. We even toured Port orleans and still like HIFS best!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter