• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Timer to DL - No Hotels?!

kelby86

Mouseketeer
I am trying to be a "First Timer" to Disneyland and because I am able to go because my fiance has a work conference in San Diego we have to plan last minute.

Changed the dates a few times to try to get hotels, looking at October 10th-13th, right now at any Disneyland hotel but preference Disneyland hotel. This morning I saw availability but wanted to book through Dreams so asked them to book now its gone. It is getting closer and closer - is there anyway availability may open up? Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!!
Kelley

Other people with undoubtedly chime in, but I believe this is due to the "Gay Days" going on at that time. Set to be very, very busy.

I think Gay Days is the weekend before. Oct. 10-13 might be seeing crowds for the MHP on Friday and the CHOC walk on Sunday.

We have tickets for the Halloween party on Friday.

Thank you for the responses and I would love anymore!

Is there a possibility people will cancel and I will be able to book or have I missed that window of opportunity?

I am much more famillar with WDW so I am in the dark here. :-) Appreciate the input!

Why not book a Good Neighbor hotel? 1/3 the cost and even closer in many cases. With 4 days in the parks, you'll have plenty of Disney magic.

Phoenix schools are out that week. I'll be there.

Hi! It's absolutely possible availability will open up because of a last-minute cancellation. You'll just have to keep calling back to see. In the meantime, book at another hotel that has a lenient cancellation policy, such as no charge cancellation up to 24 hours before your stay, so you have a room in case you can't get in at the Disneyland Hotel.

I know the Fairfield Inn Anaheim on Harbor Blvd has a free cancellation policy up until 4:00 p.m. the day before our arrival (at least that's how it is through hotels.com - I'm looking at my receipt right now). They charged me the full amount up front, but I'll be refunded that charge if I cancel early.

Hi! It's absolutely possible availability will open up because of a last-minute cancellation. You'll just have to keep calling back to see. In the meantime, book at another hotel that has a lenient cancellation policy, such as no charge cancellation up to 24 hours before your stay, so you have a room in case you can't get in at the Disneyland Hotel.

I know the Fairfield Inn Anaheim on Harbor Blvd has a free cancellation policy up until 4:00 p.m. the day before our arrival (at least that's how it is through hotels.com - I'm looking at my receipt right now). They charged me the full amount up front, but I'll be refunded that charge if I cancel early.

Kittyskyfish - Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

You mentioned in your signature you have stayed at other hotels in the area (Candy Cane Inn and Doubletree), which is the best if your opinion? If I cannot stay on property I would like to be able to walk there.

Thank you!

Another thing you may want to try is calling another travel agency like Get Away Today, etc. They may have rooms still available that they haven't turned back to Disney yet.

I'd also recommend staying off property. We would never think of staying off property at WDW, but it's the total opposite at DLR. We like the Fairfield Inn, and it's maybe a 10 minute walk. So that's something to think about as well!

Get Away Today is my go-to agency when planning a last-minute trip and there is no on-site availability anywhere else. My mom and I decided to go last Spring Break with little notice. GAT was the only place I could find that could get us a room at the GCH. My mom will only stay at the GCH because walking is really hard for her. However, when I go with my family we stay at the DI&S since I am cheap! ;)

I just checked your dates, and they actually have rooms available at all 3 Disney hotels.

http://www.getawaytoday.com/hotels/DisneylandResortArea?checkin=20121010&nights=3

I honestly cannot thank you all enough - GREAT information for me as a first timer!

The only travel agency I have ever used is Dreams so I am a newbie to these type of things.

Is there more information on Get Away Travel? Other posts, feedback etc? Since I am not familiar with them I am not sure what I am getting myself in to? haha!

Are their ticket prices actually a better price and are there any problems with them?

Thank you all so much, I appreciate it and keep it coming! ;-)

I honestly cannot thank you all enough - GREAT information for me as a first timer!

The only travel agency I have ever used is Dreams so I am a newbie to these type of things.

Is there more information on Get Away Travel? Other posts, feedback etc? Since I am not familiar with them I am not sure what I am getting myself in to? haha!

Are their ticket prices actually a better price and are there any problems with them?

GAT is fine, they're based 15 minutes from my home. However, I book most everything on my own. Hotel - thru their site or calling the hotels local 714 number.

I also live in Utah, where GAT is based, so while I am familiar with them, I don't typically use them for hotels. I can get a better rate booking hotels on my own than through GAT. Like I said, however, my mom and I booked the GCH through them last year because they were the ONLY place I could find with availability. They are a totally legit company and I know A LOT of people (especially here in Utah) that book with them and love what they offer. I do usually get my park tickets from them because they generally have the best prices for all the So Cal theme parks.

Do they provide any additional "planning services"? Or just Tickets and hotels, I saw airport transfers as well (which we will need) - anyone booked these through them?

Do they have to mail the park tickets or can we pick up there?

Thank you!!

You can get a huge discount on park tickets through gaydays2.com. I don't think GAT or any travel agencies ever have more than a couple dollars off the Disney price. The convention rate above is almost $100 off per park hopper (for a 5-day).

I have heard they are very helpful over the phone. My friend is taking her family of 7 to Disneyland for Halloween (6 days in the parks) and she said the GAT agents gave her a lot of information and advice over the phone.

As far as tickets, if you are staying on-site you get your tickets when you check into the hotel. (At least that is how it worked for us.)

Looks like you might be able to get something through Get Away now, but if not, keep trying the DLR hotels every day. I would call them direct. Since it's getting close people will be changing or cancelling their reservations. I am allowed to change/cancel my reservation up to 72 hrs. in advance of check-in. In fact I just changed mine because we couldn't get flights on our check in day (Oct 6). Now we're going a day later. I imagine some people will be cancelling altogether (those who booked months ago, hoping they would be able to make it and now can't). Hopefully you can capitalize on that. Let us know if you have any luck with Get Away :thumbsup2

Oh yeah, we also purchased our park tickets through Gay Days. They are good up until Oct 16 and they can save you big bucks! We saved $100/person on 5 day park hoppers (for a total of $400!). Here's the link: http://www.mydisneymeetings.com/gcgj12a
But you only have until Oct 4 to purchase them so don't wait too long!;)

Kittyskyfish - Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

You mentioned in your signature you have stayed at other hotels in the area (Candy Cane Inn and Doubletree), which is the best if your opinion? If I cannot stay on property I would like to be able to walk there.

Thank you!

Hi again! Not sure if you are still interested in off-site hotels but if you can't get a good deal at a Disney property, our favorite hotel on Harbor for adult travelers is the Fairfield. The rooms are nice-sized for two people and it's been recently renovated. Very clean and comfortable and within walking distance to the parks and to several restaurants in the immediate vicinity. I'm a junkie for fountain Diet Coke on ice and there's a McDonalds right there in the parking lot! Also, you're at the park gates in about 10 walking minutes. :)

Candy Cane Inn is our second favorite choice. It's another hotel that keeps its standards higher than norm for the area. The CCI does shuttle service 2x per hour (free) and the hotel is still within walking distance (10-12 minutes) so you don't have to rely on the shuttle if your feet are up to it.

The Doubletree is very nice! Nicer than the hotels on Harbor (Fairfield included). Downside is the distance and you'll want to rely on the shuttle to get to the parks. At times it was a crowded wait for the shuttle and there was one time we had to catch the next available shuttle and waited about 20 minutes extra. We stayed there because of a convention but it's not a normal choice for us.

This upcoming trip we're staying at the Fairfield out of pure choice. We have the cash to stay at a Disney property but we don't get enough out of the hotel experience to warrant the higher prices when we go to Disneyland. Our trips are long enough that we don't need magic mornings every day and we don't have kids that would relish swim time at the beautiful hotel pools. *this is a very subjective opinion* :)

It sounds like Get Away Today helps with dining as well? Is that correct? Will they make dining reservations/suggestions for me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter