First timer to Disneyworld and have a transportation dilema

macbro

Earning My Ears
Okay, hopefully all of this will make sense. We are going for a 12 day vacation (2 of which are travel days) from April 28-May 9. The first part of our trip will be at WDW, the second part at an off site location. I would like to rent a car only for the time that we are staying off site. It saves a lot a money if I only have to pay the weekly rate and not add on days, and I figured we wouldn't need the car very much at WDW since we won't be leaving at all for the 4 days that we are there.

The first night, our flight gets in late, so we were going to stay at a motel near the airport. I hope to get a motel with shuttle service from the airport. So that would solve that problem.

However, how do I get from the motel to WDW the next day? What is my best option? It will be me, DH, an 8 year old, and a 6 year old.

And...Can I pick a car up at WDW and then return it to the airport for our returning flight?

Please be patient with me for asking dumb questions, but this is all new to me....

Thanks!

Hi, this is what I'm thinking.......

You may be better off renting a car for the entire time.

Check out mousesavers.com for discount codes.

The cheapest was to get from Airport to WDW would be to use Mears but that would probably run you about $100.00 to get you there with four. Then it could take a good hour or two to get to WDW depending on how many stops along the way. Towncar would also run you about $80.00. Then add the rental cost. You might be able to do better just renting the car.

But that's what I would check into.

Scratch
pirate:

Wouldn't the towncar service run more like $45 since it would be only one way? You could look into renting a car at the Swan/Dolphin for the end of your trip. I believe you could return the car to the airport. But, as Scratch said, check out mousesavers. Some great info there.

Hi macbro & welcome to the Dis:wave:

I would do this: Make a reservation at the Hyatt at MCO for the night you're arriving. Get a good nights sleep, get some breakfast, go down to the rental car area & pick up a 1 day rental from the Emerald Aisle at National ($50-$60 but you can choose your vehicle!).

Drive to your resort @ WDW, get checked in, unpack, and return the car to National's desk at the Dolphin.

Enjoy your time at WDW then the day before you leave, go back to National at the Dolphin to pick up your second rental (sorry, no Emerald Aisle @ the Dolphin) for the remainder of your trip. That car, of course, can be returned to MCO before your flight home.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip:wave2: and don't think that your questions are "stupid".

Bob

Battleship Bob -
We're thinking of doing the same thing with our car rental. Would you suggest using the Nat'l desk at the Dolphin rather than the Car Care Center? Why? Thanks.

Macbro,

To figure this out you may need to do a little leg work and some math. First, compute what it would cost to rent a car from the airport the entire time you are in Fla. Don't forget taxes and fees, but make sure you check out www.mousesavers.com for info on discount codes. You typically have to try several codes at each car companies website. Rates among the companies can vary greatly. It takes some time but can save lots of money.

Once you get the lowest rate for the 12 day rental, you need to figure out the cost of renting the last week from a location at Disney. Like others have said, you should probably take a lime from your airport hotel to Disney your first day, Figure that to be about $45 plus tip. Then compute the cost of renting at either the Disney Car Care Center, the Swan/Dolphin, or one of the DTD hotels that have car rental desks. You should be able to treturn the car to the airport but it is usually more expensive (but it's probably not worth it to take Mears, etc from Disney to the airport just to rent a car for the last week). Just like with the first scenario you'll have to go to multiple websites and use multiple codes/coupons to get the best price. Add up the cost of the lime with the cost of renting at Disney and returning it to the airport for your total cost.

Compare the two prices and figure out which one is cheaper. It is a bit of a pain and I hope you like spending lots of time on the computer :rolleyes: .

I hope this is clear and good luck!!

You could follow the instructions from the above posts using National or Alamo, or there are several of the Disney Village hotels that also have rental car desks that may be cheaper. We used Dollar last fall. We picked the car up at the airport and returned it the next day at the Courtyard by Marriott which is a short (10minute) walk from Downtown Disney. Then the day before we flew home we walked back to the Courtyard picked up another car for the return to the airport. Using the mousesavers.com codes total cost $60. This also gave us the benefit of stopping at a grocery store for snacks.

Wow! Some great advice. Thank you. I find it an interesting challenge to find the best rates, so that I have bragging material to tell all of my friends how much money I saved going to Disney World!;)

I would much rather have the extra money for shopping and attractions than putting it into a car rental, especially if the rental will end up sitting in the parking lot the whole time we are at Disney World.

I will definitely compare the prices of limo/towncar service versus renting the car for the entire time. I will let anyone know what I found out so that it may help someone else in the future...

Thanks.

when i rented a car over thr labor day weekend ,from alamo it was more to drop off at dolphin so i dropped it at car care center which was cheaper

SpecialK,

Sorry to not answer sooner.......been away from the computer a few days.

My advice to macbro was based on pure speculation on where they were staying at WDW........I got myself way too caught up in our own plans and was thinking that they MUST be staying at an EPCOT resort without actually knowing what their accomodations will be.:confused:

As far as Car Care Center vs Dolphin........that would depend on, 1) where you're staying, and 2) price difference (if any). Honestly, I didn't look into using National from the Car Care Center because we're staying just a short walk from the Dolphin at BCV. I'm sure that both National locations can accomodate any basic rental needs.

Bob

Here my query...

How far is Dolphin from BCV (walking)? I'm thinking of doing this for our 12-day vacation:

1) Fly into MCO
2) Treat the family by renting a limo from MCO to BCV
3) Rent a vehicle from Dolphin when we have the urge to leave WDW. We may do this 2-3 times (or just rent for 3 days)
4) Do a towncar to MCO
5) Fly home

Is this possible from BCV?

Its maybe a 5 minute walk from the BC to the Dolphin, maybe a little more if you want to savor the walk as opposed to walking with a purpose. Your plan sounds like a good one to save money but still be able to have a car when you want one.

You can probably get a hotel near the airport for $30-$45 through PL. The 3* properties have free shuttle service.

Shearton Suites got me a cab to the Dolphin for a flat rate of $40 (plus tip). The company (I think it was Alpha-Omega) actually sent a van (just for us) that would have easily fit your family. Any of the town car companies would probably cost about the same.

The cheapest rates car rental would probably be if you qualified for the weekly rate for 2 weeks. Which is cheaper really depends on what the penalty is for a one way rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter