• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Timer--Need Help re Best Resorts

tex08

Earning My Ears
I am new to this board, and hoping for some good advice. This summer is our family's first time to Disneyworld and may be our last. We want to do it "right." We plan to spend a week and cover all of the Disney attractions. We also don't want to overdo it, so convenience important.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra money to stay at the Grand Floridian, either b/c of the monorail access or otherwise? We're also considering the Wilderness Lodge and the Yacht Club. Are we missing something even better?

p.s., our kids are 11 and 7.

Thanks!!!

If you have the money to spend on the Grand Floridian, I would stay at the polynesian instead. There is nothing like it. It is so magical. The GF is very pretty, but a little stuffy. The Yacht club is nice too and you can walk to epcot, but if you stay at the Poly you can monorail to Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

The YC is a wonderful choice because of SAB. Be sure to go over to Beaches and Cream at BC for the kitchen sink. Remember the camera and bring an appetite.

If you're looking for a deluxe resort, my personal favorite is Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View. Waking up to the giraffes is just a feeling you can't get anywhere else...(except Africa). Plus it's less expensive than the other deluxes AND the bus transportation is phenomenal. (No other stops at all and very efficient)

The advice I would give anyone who is undecided about their resort choice is to make a list of the things you want in a resort. Do you want to have monorail access from your resort? Do you prefer boat transport to bus transport? Do you want to be able to walk to a theme park? Do you like having a lot of resorts close together for easy dining and recreation, or do you like to feel you're away from it all?

All three resorts you mention are nice resorts. But they are very different, from the themes, to the transportation, to the location. If you plan to spend a lot of time at Magic Kingdom, then you may want to be on the monorail. If you plan to divide your time between all four parks fairly equally, you might prefer one of the Epcot resorts ( you can walk to two of the four from these resorts).

Based on the fact that you want a convenient location and you are visiting in the summer, I would choose the Yacht Club out of your three choices. It's conveniently located between the Studios and Epcot, there are five resorts clustered together, to increase the dining choices, and you would have access to Stormalong Bay pool complex, which is usually voted the best resort pool on property.

But one word of advice - don't stress yourself out trying to plan the perfect, once in a lifetime trip. Keep your expectations realistic and your plans flexible. Don't overlook the other recreational facilities, such as tennis, horseback riding, boat or bike rentals, which can be a great way to relax. Make sure you know how to use Fastpass, to make the most of your time in the parks. Sometimes the best memories come from unexpected events!

I would pick the WL with your kids ages and for overall Disney-ness. You take the boat to get to WDW or to visit Fort Wilderness (a fun place to visit for pony rides, Hoop De DO Review, or nightly movies!) - my kids :love: the boat, heck, so did I. SO relaxing and so much to look at!

If your children were younger the monorail would be such a nice conveinence w/ a stroller. We've visited them all and my kids definately did not like GF (too "formal", I guess...) DH and I didnt really like the Polynesian - seemed to0 "fake" and 70's - but many do love it. I would pick Yacht club any day of the week for adults :lovestruc , but with Kids WL still gets my vote.

WL appealed to us all and was definatley our favorite. Good luck deciding!:goodvibes

I already love this cite. Thanks for the responses. I'm now thinking of splitting the trip between WL and either the Yacht Club or the Beach Club. What's the difference between the YC and the BC? Which would you recommend, or would you recommend something else that is close to Epcot for the second half of our trip?

thanks again!

We were in the same situation. DH worked tons of overtime for our once in a lifetime trip. We stayed at the Poly. It was worth every penny for the convenience to MK and EP according to my DH. The children loved the pool with the slide and the fact they could be at the MK in minutes. I loved the beauty of the resort and the fact that the resort felt like a vacation in itself. The kids played in the sand while we watched Wishes from the lounge chairs. The music to the fireworks is piped in and it is magnificent!

The trip was soooo relaxing and the food offering were incredible while being very kid friendly. My service was outstanding and our trip just perfect.

We all enjoyed it so much that all of us, (kids included) are saving to go back in '09. Where are we going to stay?? The Poly.:yay:

For more info, check out Seasprays Poly 2008 thread. It is amazing!!

Best of luck and I hope your trip is truly magical!:wizard:

We were in the same situation. DH worked tons of overtime for our once in a lifetime trip. We stayed at the Poly. It was worth every penny for the convenience to MK and EP according to my DH. The children loved the pool with the slide and the fact they could be at the MK in minutes. I loved the beauty of the resort and the fact that the resort felt like a vacation in itself. The kids played in the sand while we watched Wishes from the lounge chairs. The music to the fireworks is piped in and it is magnificent!

The trip was soooo relaxing and the food offering were incredible while being very kid friendly. My service was outstanding and our trip just perfect.

We all enjoyed it so much that all of us, (kids included) are saving to go back in '09. Where are we going to stay?? The Poly.:yay:

Best of luck and I hope your trip is truly magical!:wizard:

OK, this is us EXACTLY, LOL!!! We went in 2007, saved and splurged on the Poly for it's convenience. We fell in LOVE and are returning in 2009. If transportation convenience is a priority, Poly is #1!!! Loved the pool, the restaurants, the beach for Wishes and EWP.

I think The Contemporary is a great place to stay! It is very convenient to The Magic Kingdom. You can either take the Monorail or walk. We were there last week and we loved the walk to and from the MK. It was great to stroll back after a nice day at the park.
To get to EPCOT, you just take the Monorial, too. The bus system at the Contemporary was very efficient! We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus!
The restaurants, pools, & shops are all superb! They have 2 pools, one of which has a neat waterslide!
We had a Tower room with a view of the MK and it was so nice! We watched Wishes from our balcony and also watched The Electrical Water Parade from the boat docks. It was great to wake up every morning and look out and see The MK!
We took a boat over to Fort Wilderness Campground one afternoon to have lunch and go to visit the Tri-Circle D Ranch. That is where they have the Parade horses. It was alot of fun to see them up close!
My family loved seing The Monorail come right into the Resort! It was very quiet and we did not hear noise at all!
If you have any queations about the CR, feel free to PM me! :)

I already love this cite. Thanks for the responses. I'm now thinking of splitting the trip between WL and either the Yacht Club or the Beach Club. What's the difference between the YC and the BC? Which would you recommend, or would you recommend something else that is close to Epcot for the second half of our trip?

thanks again!

Welcome to the Dis!

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I've stayed at most of the Deluxe resorts. BC is by far my favorite :love: The differences between YC & BC is mainly formality. Think of a yacht and of a beach, both are nice with the same general theme (water) while one is more formal & one more relaxed. BC is more relaxed, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be comfortable with kids at YC. YC is beautiful :lovestruc Both have access to what has to be the best pool on property, SAB (Storm along bay) -it's a mini water park- both have access to the tennis courts, arcade, restaurants. So it's a matter of do you prefer the looks of a ship, dark polished woods or the beach, sand.

I think a split between WL, with the MK & AK days on that end & BC/YC with DHS & Epcot will be a great way for you to see the best Disney has to offer as long as you have enough time to spend at each. I wouldn't split a stay that is less than a week.

Have fun planning!

I am going to Disney for my 5th time:woohoo: and I have stayed at port Orleans and Caribbean Beach . This year i am going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. I love staying at Caribbean Beach but this year they are doing construction. So i would have recommended Caribbean Beach. I have walked through Polynesian and that is very nice.princess:

I would say that any of the 3 monorail resorts would make for a wonderful vacation. Take a look at the fact sheets and slide shows here:http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_hot.htm

Then take a look at your budget and go with what sounds best.

Also, be sure to get that ever popular AAA discount!!!

I would choose YC or WL over GF, but that's me. All three are great and you cant go wrong. YC has the neatest pool, but do keep it mind that it is verrrrry spread out and you will not be able to keep an easy eye on your kids.

Welcome to the Disboards. The YC & BC are great resorts with SAB as their pool(always voted #1 pool at Disney),but your childrens ages might have you spending more time at MK.If that is true, pick a monorail resort. Have a great trip. :thumbsup2 :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter