• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Timer Going Crazy Planning

Spaffy

Earning My Ears
So this August will be my first time going to Disney :goodvibes. It's a large group, 5 adults and 4 kids aged 4-12. We only have 1 day/park, and I've been driving myself crazy planning an itinerary so we can fit evertying we want to in. This is how our day at Magic Kindgom is so far. Does this seem too agressive? Is it do-able? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? We are prepared to be there from open to close, and we are renting a double stroller for periodic naps/breaks for the kids.

9:00 Tomorrowland
•Get a FP for Space Mountain
•Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
•Tomorrowland Speedway
•Astro Orbiter
•Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress for Character Meet & Greets *CHECK TIMES
•Ride Space Mountain
•Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor to cool off or Stitch’s Great Escape

12:30 Fanyasyland
•Get FP for Peter Pan’s Flight
•Ride Dumbo the Flying Elephant
•The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
•Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
•BREAK FOR LUNCH
•Ride Peter Pan’s Flight
•Walk to the hall of Presidents to catch the parade.
•It's a Small World
•Mad Tea Party
•Snow White's Scary Adventures
•Barnstormer

5:00 Frontierland
•Get FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad if needed
•Ride Splash Mountain
•Country Bear Jamboree
•BREAK FOR SUPPER

7:30 Adventureland
•Jungle Cruise
•Pirates of the Caribbean and Character Meet & Greets
•The Magic Carpets of Aladdin

Liberty Square
•The Haunted Mansion

As you can see I'm a type A personality, and a bit of a control freak. What are the seasoned vet's thoughts?? :confused:

Just a couple of quick things here --

1) Snow White is now closed, so you can scratch that one off your list.

2) You will have long waits for Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh unless you move them to the top of the list. However, by August, the new interactive queue for Dumbo may be open, in which case you may not mind the long wait (because you will have an air-conditioned kids' play area in which to wait).

My first thought is phew!
It's a good idea to have a touring plan. In August though, hustling that many people through the heat, be prepared that you may not keep up with your plan. Remember that you don't want to make everyone miserable. You have only one day, so make sure it's enjoyable! Seeing everything is very difficult, worth a try. But I'd get each member of the party to name one priority. That way, if you start running short of time, you can be sure to hit the priorities.
I won't comment too much on your specific itinerary, as I don't have kids in that age group, and my kids have visited multiple times, so my planning is quite different. But I do think you're spending precious, less-busy morning hours on rides that don't really need it (Buzz, Speedway, Laugh Floor/Stitch). You might do better to grab a FP for Space Mountain and head for Fantasyland to knock out Peter Pan, Pooh, and Dumbo. It's pretty much impossible to avoid some crisscrossing between the lands.

At 12:30 you might not be able to get a FP for PP that you can use in your time frame.

The line for Pooh at 12:30 might be really long.

This is how we did MK on our last trip:

Peter Pan
Pooh
Dumbo
The great Goofini
Tea cups
Indiana Speedway
FP - Space
Buzz (twice)
Monster's Inc.
People mover
CoP
Rode Space
ate lunch
IASW
FP Splash
rode PoC
walked through Swiss tree house
Rode Splash

Then we left for the day, we park hopped somewhere else so all that was done before mid-afternoon.

Emily

Depending when you go in August..Country Bear Jamboree is closed for refurbishment starting on Aug 22 through I believe Oct

It's pretty much impossible to avoid some crisscrossing between the lands.

I agree with this, and some of the the Fantasyland attractions aren't all that far from the Tomorrowland attractions.

I do think it's smart, however, to get the Speedway and the Astro Orbiter done early, as they load slowly, and they do not have Fast Passes.

I would probably do Dumbo, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, the Speedway, and the Astro Orbiter as the first five attractions.

By the time you get to Adventureland in the evening, the line for the Jungle Cruise could be quite long. Just a suggestion, during the day as you use your current fast pass, send a volunteer (willing or unwilling) with everyone's tickets to grab fast pass for another attraction. Stitch's Great Escape...not sure if it is worth it. Remember, as a first timer, to enjoy the day and not make it so miserable you never want to do it again. This is the Disney way...do what you can and they leave you begging to go back for more :)

Agreeing w/ others, you may not get everything done...probably more like 12 attractions. In augsust, maybe a couple more.

With that many people moving in the heat, kids etc. you will be going slower than you expect...and don't push it or no one will have fun.

Better to thoroughly enjoy 10 attractions than insist on getting 20 done and no one is happy....part of the fun is having time in between to reflect on the attraction you just enjoyed, instead of racing ahead to the next one then later not remembering anything you did.

Prioritize the order based on the demand, like previous posters have said, rather than by park location.

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to shuffle a few things around so that we hit our top rides. Some of the things on our list are less important, and just on there to say we did them. I'm sure our pace will slow down as the day goes on, the heat rises, and crankiness takes over. I'm already prepared for things to go haywire, but the OCD in me won't let me leave without a plan in place!

Here's another thought.

Is everybody going to be doing all of the attractions on your list? (I'm guessing the 4-year-old isn't tall enough for Space Mountain and maybe also not for Splash and Big Thunder.)

So there might be some places where you want to split into two groups, with one group doing a mountain while the younger/less adventurous group does one of the kiddie-type attractions (which the older group doesn't mind skipping). Such a plan could save you some time.

I think you will be able to do everything you want as long as you are smart about it. I have gone many times during Xmas, summer and spring break and we always get all of this done and more (although we never do Country bears).

Hit Astro Orbiter first as the line is very slow. It is best to wait on Speedway until about 9:30 as they usually aren't quite ready with a lot of cars that early and usually only have one line open. I would do Astro, Peter, Pooh, Speedway, Dumbo. Get as much done as you can before you have to use the Space FP.

Come back later in the afternoon and grab a FP for Buzz (they will be available all day) and hit Monsters and Carousel of Progress and maybe Peoplemover while waiting for that FP.

You will probably want a FP for Jungle Cruise as the line gets long and slow.

No Philharmagic? Don't miss this! This is a good afternoon break show.

Have a great trip!

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to shuffle a few things around so that we hit our top rides. Some of the things on our list are less important, and just on there to say we did them. I'm sure our pace will slow down as the day goes on, the heat rises, and crankiness takes over. I'm already prepared for things to go haywire, but the OCD in me won't let me leave without a plan in place!

I can totally understand, OCD planning for your 1st trip. I did the same thing ahead of time. When I got there and actually started touring, things did not go according to my time schedule.Like, not taking into account that the kids might want to ride Space Mountain 3 times in a row when we arrived. Or the Fast Pass return time for Peter Pan, three hours later. I decided to go with the flow of how things were going. Now on my 3rd trip, I still plan on hitting the big rides 1st, with FastPass planning and am more relaxed.

Best advice is to get there before rope drop, ride the rides that get crowded early as soon as possible. The unofficial guide to WDW has great touring plans for getting to see as much as possible with fewer lines.

What does this: "Pirates of the Caribbean and Character Meet & Greets" mean? Are you talking about characters in Adventureland? Because you're planning this in the evening & I'm pretty sure most characters don't meet after about 5 pm. The Fairies meet up until an hour before park close, I think, so maybe that's what you're talking about. I know Ariel, etc. is finished long before 7:30 pm.

That is a LOT on your plate for a big group in August. Please prioritize before you get there, so that when your group starts losing it, you don't drop someone's one must-do off of the list in desperation.

I agree with other posters. You've neatly managed to circle the park once without backtracking, which looks great on paper, but you've maneuvered yourself into long lines by doing it. If you wait to pick up a Peter Pan FP until the whole group has finished Tomorrowland & moved on to Fantasyland, the FP return time might be pushed out further than you planned to stay in that area. Send a runner for FPs as soon as your window opens, even if they have to miss a ride & go over to the next Land & back.

You definitely need to rearrange your ride order to hit the slow loaders first.

Do Monsters Inc not Stitch. Not even a contest. Also definitely don't miss PhilharMagic.

Are you skipping both the night parade & the fireworks? I'd take either of those over the (kind of lame in comparison) afternoon parade. You're going to have to eat dinner at some point, right? Why not grab some CS & eat while you wait for the MSEP?

Also I don't think the afternoon parade passes the Hall of Presidents, does it? I thought it just went down Main Street & around the hub... I'm not sure about this though so check it out. In any case, I don't think I'd stop touring the park on a one-day trip to watch the afternoon parade when the night one is much longer & more elaborate & beautiful with all the lights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter