First timer cruisers: Best Place to stay Pre-Cruise

MsMulan

Mouseketeer
My soon to be DH and I will be coming to Orlando in May 2016 and taking a Honeymoon Disney Cruise!!!! I am beyond excited to introduce him to my favorite place on earth. He would not bite on going to WDW for the honeymoon. I had a REALLY BAD Experience with Royal Caribbean so we compromised and settled on the Disney Cruise. This will be a first for both of us and I want to ensure we have a great time. We will fly into MCO on 30 April 2016 and need to stay somewhere for one night. I'm wondering for onsite locations:
  1. We should be able to use Magical Express to get to the resort?
  2. What resorts would you recommend for a one night stay?
  3. What are the options and costs for getting to Port Canaveral?
  4. How early would we need to leave our resort to ensure we get to the ship on time?
I'm thinking if we stay onsite. I can introduce him to Downtown Disney (I know the name has changed since my last visit but I do not know the new one). I'm also thinking of staying offsite but wanted opinions on both options. If I'm missing any important things to consider, please add.

Thanks

My soon to be DH and I will be coming to Orlando in May 2016 and taking a Honeymoon Disney Cruise!!!! I am beyond excited to introduce him to my favorite place on earth. He would not bite on going to WDW for the honeymoon. I had a REALLY BAD Experience with Royal Caribbean so we compromised and settled on the Disney Cruise. This will be a first for both of us and I want to ensure we have a great time. We will fly into MCO on 30 April 2016 and need to stay somewhere for one night. I'm wondering for onsite locations:
  1. We should be able to use Magical Express to get to the resort?
  2. What resorts would you recommend for a one night stay?
  3. What are the options and costs for getting to Port Canaveral?
  4. How early would we need to leave our resort to ensure we get to the ship on time?
I'm thinking if we stay onsite. I can introduce him to Downtown Disney (I know the name has changed since my last visit but I do not know the new one). I'm also thinking of staying offsite but wanted opinions on both options. If I'm missing any important things to consider, please add.

Thanks

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon :).

1. Yes, if you stay at a Disney resort, you can use DME from the airport to the resort.

2. My suggestion would be either the Poly or GF. The Poly is our favorite, but the GF runs a very close second. Both have beautiful grounds, great pools, and great dining options. They are also romantic (IMO) and would be a great way to start your honeymoon.

3. You have a couple of options for getting to PC from your resort. You could get a car service, which will vary in cost depending on which company you use (we have used Tiffany Town car for r/t transfers between MCO and a Disney resort and have had great experiences with them). The DCL bus is another option, which costs around $35/pp one way.

4. It takes about an hour to get to PC from Disney, so if you use a car service, the time you leave your resort will depend on what time you want to get to port and what time your check in time is for the cruise. I think the DCL bus has specified pick up times for going from your resort to port. I think I've seen pick up times of maybe 11:00 or 11:30 from the resorts, but hopefully others will be able to say for sure.

HTH :wizard:.

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon :).

1. Yes, if you stay at a Disney resort, you can use DME from the airport to the resort.

2. My suggestion would be either the Poly or GF. The Poly is our favorite, but the GF runs a very close second. Both have beautiful grounds, great pools, and great dining options. They are also romantic (IMO) and would be a great way to start your honeymoon.

3. You have a couple of options for getting to PC from your resort. You could get a car service, which will vary in cost depending on which company you use (we have used Tiffany Town car for r/t transfers between MCO and a Disney resort and have had great experiences with them). The DCL bus is another option, which costs around $35/pp one way.

4. It takes about an hour to get to PC from Disney, so if you use a car service, the time you leave your resort will depend on what time you want to get to port and what time your check in time is for the cruise. I think the DCL bus has specified pick up times for going from your resort to port. I think I've seen pick up times of maybe 11:00 or 11:30 from the resorts, but hopefully others will be able to say for sure.

HTH :wizard:.
Thank you!!!!:thanks:
A few follow on questions...
  1. If we use DCL bus, will they return you to the resort following the cruise? Even if you do not have a ressie to stay. I m just trying to figure out how to get us back to where we can get transportation back to MCO.
  2. Let's say we make it back to the resort, but again with no ressie to stay, will we still be able to use DME to return to the airport?
  3. Do you remember the cost of the Tiffany Town Car Service?

The last time I did a pre-cruise Disney stay (a few years ago 10 ish). We booked it together as a land and sea package through Disney. We used DME to the resort. Then the cruise line bus picked up at the resort. I believe the cruise line bus will also bring to MCO after cruise. Not sure on costs as I thought the transportation was all included when we did it.

**Maybe check out the cruise line boards??

**Also, I highly recommend the Boardwalk for the pre-cruise stay. Lots to do right at the resort!

Thank you!!!!:thanks:
A few follow on questions...
  1. If we use DCL bus, will they return you to the resort following the cruise? Even if you do not have a ressie to stay. I m just trying to figure out how to get us back to where we can get transportation back to MCO.
  2. Let's say we make it back to the resort, but again with no ressie to stay, will we still be able to use DME to return to the airport?
  3. Do you remember the cost of the Tiffany Town Car Service?

1. The DCL bus will take you to MCO, so no need to go to a Disney resort just for transportation back to MCO.

2. Your best option would be to take the DCL bus (or car service) from port to MCO. I'm sure you can take a DCL bus back to a resort, but once there, I think you would have to take a cab or get a car service to MCO. DME transportation is different from DCL transportation, with DME being included in a resort stay (no charge). DME is scheduled according to your return flight time with the information being given to you at your resort prior to check out. Since DME is included with a resort stay, I don't think you would be able to take it back to MCO as you will not be a resort guest at that time.

We've done this before and stayed at POR. Reasonably priced, best food court on property, and you can take the boat to DTD where we spent most of our time.

We've also stayed at the Comfort Inn in Cocoa Beach before a Port Canaveral cruise. All of 5 minutes to the port, free breakfast, restaurants in walking distance, spacious rooms, and free shuttle to the port.

[QUOTE="katyj26,
**Also, I highly recommend the Boardwalk for the pre-cruise stay. Lots to do right at the resort![/QUOTE]

I like the way you think. Now if I could only convince my FDH to spend the money on Boardwalk we would be golden!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter