First time with special needs 2 yo . . . Help!

katiemely

Proud Seabee Wife
I everyone! We are headed to WDW in two weeks with our special needs 2 yo and I am a little nervous. We adopted her a few months ago and she is profoundly deaf. Because of the deafness and only having her for a few months we have little to no language. Because of this she is full of tantrums. I'm afraid if we would have to stand in line (for example) for the little mermaid in an inclosed space full of people she would freak out. And because of the language barrier I have to way to explain it to her. My question is how do I explain that to get a DAS card. I don't want it to sound like I'm just trying to bypass lines (we go to disney 2 a year at least I have no problem with waiting). I just don't want to make it traumatic for her. I know she will love the rides and the scenery I just don't want our trip to be filled with tantrums in endless lines. Help?

From WDW Website:
Guests with Disabilities – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.
What services are available for Guests unable to tolerate long waits at attractions due to their disabilities?

A.
Walt Disney World theme parks provide numerous accommodations for Guests with disabilities, including our Disability Access Service Card.

The Disability Access Service Card allows Guests with disabilities—as well as an allotted number of people from his or her party—to schedule a return time at a specific attraction that is comparable to the wait time when they first arrive at that attraction.

Guests who wish to utilize this service can do so by visiting the Guest Relations Lobby located near the entrance of each of the 4 theme parks.

To learn more about the Disability Access Service Card, please download the official guide in PDF format.

Q.
What accommodations exist for Guests with hearing disabilities?

A.
Walt Disney World Resort theme parks provide numerous accommodations for Guests with hearing disabilities.

Some examples of accommodations that we offer include Assistive Listening systems, Reflective Captioning, Sign Language interpretation, Text Typewriter telephones, Handheld Captioning, Video Captioning and written aids.

Q.
What accommodations exist for Guests with disabilities at Disney Resort hotels?

A.
Walt Disney World Resort hotels provide numerous accommodations for Guests with mobility disabilities, Guests with visual disabilities and Guests with hearing disabilities.

Some examples of accommodations that we offer in our Resort hotels include wheelchair-accessible bathrooms, wheelchair-accessible ramps and elevators, rooms designed for the hearing impaired Guests and rooms that accommodate service animals.

Magical wishes for your vacation! pixiedust:

Kate

The key will be to make sure the CM understands that your DD's hearing is not the ONLY need that must be accommodated. Pointing out that the communication difficulties that result from her deafness lead to difficulties waiting in the long, crowded lines, and that she needs the ability to wait outside of the line.

If you have not seen the WDW DAS thread near the top of this board, I would suggest reading the first post in that thread. That post is a FAQs about the DAS (Disability Access Service) at WDW.

One other thing you may want to consider for her is using a stroller as a wheelchair. Doing that would allow you to bring the stroller into lines and have it treated like a wheelchair.
The stroller can act as a way to contain her, to direct her since she doesn't understand about lines and a 'safe haven' for her if the multiple things going on get to be too stimulating for her.
Most 2 year olds walk and are held in lines, so you would need to explain how your child's disabilities cause other needs in lines than average 2 yr olds.

And, there are things available to all guests -
- if you can get to the parks early, you will give the shortest waits.
- plan out attractions based on which are likely to have the longest waits when (websites like touringplans.com and easywdw.com are very helpful)
- take your cues from her and remember that 2 year olds may be 'done' for the day after only a few hours.

I would try to be very open about having a language barrier because its has only been a few months. You may also need to explain how her situation is functionally different from a typical 2 year old. Impatience and tantrums when not getting your way are typical at 2. You may need to be very specific about why her situation is unique in a way that effects waiting in line and what needs to happen to meet her unique needs, or the CM will not know what to do to offer help.

I'm sure one post won't do much and its not the answer you want...but is this really the right time to go?

Those are some big issues to deal with. 2 year olds are hard to deal with in general. Then you only adopted her a short time ago so its really still a matter of a fresh start for you guys. Then the special needs...and then on top of that Disney? That just seems like too much too fast. Any kid is likely to freak out at Disney but you're compounding that with that you can't understand each other. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me with all the potential for a hugely stressful time.

I could be wrong, you could have a great time. I would just recommend that you put serious thought into whether or not its the right decision right now and what you're expectations are.

I'm sure one post won't do much and its not the answer you want...but is this really the right time to go? Those are some big issues to deal with. 2 year olds are hard to deal with in general. Then you only adopted her a short time ago so its really still a matter of a fresh start for you guys. Then the special needs...and then on top of that Disney? That just seems like too much too fast. Any kid is likely to freak out at Disney but you're compounding that with that you can't understand each other. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me with all the potential for a hugely stressful time. I could be wrong, you could have a great time. I would just recommend that you put serious thought into whether or not its the right decision right now and what you're expectations are.

I concur. I'd take some time to get to know each other, and for you all to learn to sign, or whatever type of communication you plan on using. As PP's have stated, Dis with a 2 yo can be extremely hard and frustrated under the best of circumstances, and add to that all the newness of the MB's and all it's drama a trip may not be the best idea right now. But hey, do what you feel is best. :)

I would say do your best to get a DAS and then use Fastpass to minimize waits.

If you are staying at a Disney resort you should schedule Fastpass + as well.

Try to keep her on her regular schedule for meals, snacks and naptimes.

Arrive at the parks early in the day, rope drop would be best as long as you aren't waking her up early and focus on the rides you think she would like. Keep snacks with you along with other distractions like small toys.

I'm sure one post won't do much and its not the answer you want...but is this really the right time to go?

Those are some big issues to deal with. 2 year olds are hard to deal with in general. Then you only adopted her a short time ago so its really still a matter of a fresh start for you guys. Then the special needs...and then on top of that Disney? That just seems like too much too fast. Any kid is likely to freak out at Disney but you're compounding that with that you can't understand each other. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me with all the potential for a hugely stressful time.

I could be wrong, you could have a great time. I would just recommend that you put serious thought into whether or not its the right decision right now and what you're expectations are.

I agree with this. Hopefully the OP has done some trial runs of staying overnight at a hotel, or doing day trips to local theme parks.

I everyone! We are headed to WDW in two weeks with our special needs 2 yo and I am a little nervous. We adopted her a few months ago and she is profoundly deaf. Because of the deafness and only having her for a few months we have little to no language. Because of this she is full of tantrums. I'm afraid if we would have to stand in line (for example) for the little mermaid in an inclosed space full of people she would freak out. And because of the language barrier I have to way to explain it to her. My question is how do I explain that to get a DAS card. I don't want it to sound like I'm just trying to bypass lines (we go to disney 2 a year at least I have no problem with waiting). I just don't want to make it traumatic for her. I know she will love the rides and the scenery I just don't want our trip to be filled with tantrums in endless lines. Help?

Have you taken her to an amusement park previously? If not, there is no way to know that she will love the rides. Many 2 years olds that have no communication issues have very bad reactions to characters, rides, crowds... I would wait to take her on this trip at least until you have a solid way to communicate with her. The World isn't going anywhere. This could be very hard on all of you. Best of luck to you, and God bless you for adopting a special needs child. :hug:

I have to agree with some of the others who said it might be a better idea to wait until you have been together longer and have the ability to communicate before tackling a trip to Disney. As someone mentioned even a 2 year old without any issues can have a hard time with the rides, characters, crowds, etc.

I have to agree with others here and say stay home. Take her on a day trip to a local zoo. Do little day trips and bond with her. Wdw is too overwhelming for a 2 yr old in this situation.

Just to relate my own story to op. We are in the process of adopting a four year old. She came to us a year and a half ago as a foster placement. When she came she had five words- Elmo, Dora, mommy, milk and cookie. She communicated by pointing and screaming until we figured out what she wanted. Thankfully this was short lived as she rapidly added words to her vocabulary once she came to live with us. We took her to local zoos, including the Bronx zoo, and based on her reactions thought she would love our trip to Disney world about five months after she came to us. She loved the opening show at mk, loved meeting daisy. Then we went on buzz light year. She cried and screamed the entire time and even tried to climb out of the car. I ended up holding her sobbing on my lap. We spent the rest of the day on rides she could see the entire track if that made sense. She did the carousel multiple times, then agreed to try dumbo but only with me. Then the camels etc. I never though buzz would be bad for her. She loved the movies and even loved meeting buzz later that day but the ride was a complete sensory overload for her at that point in her life. As the week went on she got better about rides but there were still some she wanted nothing to do with, Peter Pan was one of them.
If I could redo it would I take her again? Yes because it was a family reunion trip and to leave her home would have been worse for her at that poin. But we would have started really slow with rides like the carousel and iasw and maybe prepared her better with YouTube videos of the other rides.

Thank y'all so much for the answers and for the concern. We have done day trips to the aquarium (at least once a week now since she loves it), the zoo, bounce houses, a fair, and chuck e cheese. She loves it. She was a little concerned about the aquarium the first time because it was packed but once she looked around and realised what it was she was bouncing around everywhere. She also loves characters, she ran screaming to chuck e cheese and followed him around trying to kiss him. I show her the WDW DVD everyday and she claps her hands. I agree I would not do this if I thought she couldn't handle it. My concern is waiting for an hour for something she doesn't know about. That won't go over well. And if she hates the rides we won't do it but she liked the stuff she could do at the fair. If all we do is walk around the park in the morning and hang at the hotel the rest of the day I'm fine with that. She will dictate the trip. It's whatever she is comfortable with. Plus I will have my parents there as well so there are four sets of hands for her.

Again I thank you for your concerns but I think we will be ok.

Just to relate my own story to op. We are in the process of adopting a four year old. She came to us a year and a half ago as a foster placement. When she came she had five words- Elmo, Dora, mommy, milk and cookie. She communicated by pointing and screaming until we figured out what she wanted. Thankfully this was short lived as she rapidly added words to her vocabulary once she came to live with us. We took her to local zoos, including the Bronx zoo, and based on her reactions thought she would love our trip to Disney world about five months after she came to us. She loved the opening show at mk, loved meeting daisy. Then we went on buzz light year. She cried and screamed the entire time and even tried to climb out of the car. I ended up holding her sobbing on my lap. We spent the rest of the day on rides she could see the entire track if that made sense. She did the carousel multiple times, then agreed to try dumbo but only with me. Then the camels etc. I never though buzz would be bad for her. She loved the movies and even loved meeting buzz later that day but the ride was a complete sensory overload for her at that point in her life. As the week went on she got better about rides but there were still some she wanted nothing to do with, Peter Pan was one of them. If I could redo it would I take her again? Yes because it was a family reunion trip and to leave her home would have been worse for her at that poin. But we would have started really slow with rides like the carousel and iasw and maybe prepared her better with YouTube videos of the other rides.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We will definitely try open rides and the carousel first. Didn't think of that and it's a great idea.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We will definitely try open rides and the carousel first. Didn't think of that and it's a great idea.
Also, keep in mind that some attractions have scary elements you may not think of.
For example, the Little Mermaid ride in MK has a very dark and kind of forbidding area where Ariel meets Ursula. It's not that long in the course of a whole ride, but could seen like forever if your child is scared of the dark, the giant Ursula, Ursula's glowing eyes or quick movements.

I'll add more later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter