First time with kids..Stroller question.

Mater4President

Earning My Ears
I'm treating this like my first trip to Disneyland since the first time I went I was a pregnant grump. I will have my almost 4 year old and 2.5 year old with me, so a stroller is a must. Are we going to be annoying if I have my Double BOB stroller? It is massive, but it's pretty glorious. If it makes a difference, we will be going last week of April, Monday - Wednesday so maybe it won't be terribly crowded?

I'm also trying to convince my DH to do a character breakfast, but at almost $100 for the 4 of us, he's hesitant. I keep telling him it's not about the food...what else could I say to convince him?

I've enjoyed lurking on this thread for the last few days. Thanks!

Also, are there really that many stroller thefts that we should be concerned? I think we'll bring a bike lock just to be safe. But GEEZ people. At DISNEY?!?

As far as the character breakfast goes, 2.5 yr old should be free, in case you were figuring the price including them.

I remember seeing people with double strollers, but I've only done a single stroller so I don't have a lot of experience there. However if you lock your stroller, be aware you can not lock it to something else (ie railing, bench, etc) - all you could do is lock your wheels together. The CMs may move it as the stroller area gets more and less full. They try to keep things organized, but you may come out and not be able to find your stroller for a minute. Don't panic, just look around! One thing about a big stroller is it should be easier to find at least!

Yes, it's going to be 'annoying'. But a stroller of any type, even one of those cheap little umbrella ones, is 'annoying' to certain people. Just remember to be polite, move slowly so you can stop easily, and be very careful in maneuvering and you'll be OK. I've seen (and had my ankles run up on by) strollers being used as 'battering rams' and gotten the stink eye from the 'driver', but I've also seen people (and have been) slightly tapped by accident and gotten a polite 'I'm so sorry', even if it's been my fault. I know which 'driver' I'd rather encounter!

I took a double stroller our first trip and never had a problem, we also left things in our stroller not of super high value but nothing ever came missing out of it some people also suggest tying a bright colored ribbon or something to it to make it easier to find because CMs do move them and organize them....I have a problem with doing Character meals at breakfast for a couple reasons one we usually have a hotel that offers free breakfast and two I hate having to pay that much for breakfast ( I am not a big breakfast eater and really my kids just usually want cereal) BUT Goofy's Kitchen has a dinner Character meal and we LOVE it!! It is a buffet so there is something for everyone.

We just went on our first trip a few weeks ago. After reading things on this board, I was a little concerned about leaving anything in our stroller. We left my kids autograph books and pens and nothing happened.

We did dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. While I wouldn't spend that kind of money for the food(the food was good, just not $150 good), I will do it over and over again for the character interaction. Every single character at dinner that night, made DH and myself decide that we'll go back every trip, as long as the kids are into it.

Thanks for all your replies! I will bring my double and just be careful about mowing people over!

I was aware that I wouldn't have to pay for my 2.5 year old for the breakfast, so it's $32.99/each adult and $17.99 for my 3 year old. Plus, taxes and an 18% gratuity brings things close to the $100 range - this is for the Goofy's Kitchen Breakfast. I've seen people on this board talking about vouchers, but I haven't found any that can compete on that price and we aren't Costco members or anything. I'll keep researching.

Thanks y'all!

I've seen people on this board talking about vouchers, but I haven't found any that can compete on that price and we aren't Costco members or anything. I'll keep researching.

Get away today has vouchers for 44 for adults and 22.00 for kids for the premium (goofys and ariel) They end up being about the same as the price you mentions above, because the vochers include tax and tip and the prices you mentioned above do not.

The only real issue I can see with a double strollers is that it might be a bit tough to navigate inside stores and some QS locations. Some have fairly narrow aisles, but not necessarily a double. So you might want to peak inside before you bring the stroller with you because you might end up having to back out! Oh also, when you enter the parks, you'll go through the wheelchair/ECV/stroller gates between the CMs, so make sure you line up the stroller properly. I watched some struggling with a double ram one corner into the gate as they pushed it through. The kids were not terribly happy about it...

In terms of character meals...they are pricey, but they about the experience (more than the food). It's a chance to meet some characters (without waiting in line) while eating a meal (so, kind of a "two birds with one stone" type thing). I've only been to Surf's Up and it was a fun experience; the food was okay, but it was fun seeing the kids meet the characters and interact.

If you have a Target REDcard, you could look into buying Disney Gift Cards. Target is one of the few places that offer a discount on Disney Gift Cards (5%) if you use your REDCard.

I will have my almost 4 year old and 2.5 year old with me, so a stroller is a must. Are we going to be annoying if I have my Double BOB stroller? It is massive, but it's pretty glorious.

Perhaps people are more tolerant of slow moving crowds than I am but even on non crowded days, there are crowded areas/moments, such as entry and exit, and during parades. Working with any stroller let alone a double will severely restrict your movement. I don't know your or your kids fitness, but I would try to get away with no stroller or at least a single. We did fine with a 3 y/o walking/carried and 1 y/o (in an small folding stroller), and two years later without a stroller. The key for both trips was going at the kids' pace (walking through the Parks, leaving for a mid day break when they needed it, returning when they got enough rest and food, and leaving when they were ready.

Yes a double stroller will be annoying. You are going to have a tough time maneuvering around, and people are sometimes going to be pushy and not let you through. As a pp said, there will be some shops and walkways that will be next to impossible to get through. Any chance of bringing just a single stroller? At least that would be way easier. When my DS had just turned 5 we forgot his stroller at home by accident. I thought it was going to be a disaster. Turns out I underestimated him, and he did amazing without a stroller. Maybe your little one will surprise you!

We brought our double bob last year and it worked great. Yes, you do need to be good about maneuvering around people, but I loved using our bob there because it was so easy to go over curbs or the rails on Main Street. I say bring the double and just be courteous.

The only real issue I can see with a double strollers is that it might be a bit tough to navigate inside stores and some QS locations. Some have fairly narrow aisles, but not necessarily a double. So you might want to peak inside before you bring the stroller with you because you might end up having to back out! Oh also, when you enter the parks, you'll go through the wheelchair/ECV/stroller gates between the CMs, so make sure you line up the stroller properly. I watched some struggling with a double ram one corner into the gate as they pushed it through. The kids were not terribly happy about it...

In terms of character meals...they are pricey, but they about the experience (more than the food). It's a chance to meet some characters (without waiting in line) while eating a meal (so, kind of a "two birds with one stone" type thing). I've only been to Surf's Up and it was a fun experience; the food was okay, but it was fun seeing the kids meet the characters and interact.

If you have a Target REDcard, you could look into buying Disney Gift Cards. Target is one of the few places that offer a discount on Disney Gift Cards (5%) if you use your REDCard.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a target REDCard, I'll look into this.

Perhaps people are more tolerant of slow moving crowds than I am but even on non crowded days, there are crowded areas/moments, such as entry and exit, and during parades. Working with any stroller let alone a double will severely restrict your movement. I don't know your or your kids fitness, but I would try to get away with no stroller or at least a single. We did fine with a 3 y/o walking/carried and 1 y/o (in an small folding stroller), and two years later without a stroller. The key for both trips was going at the kids' pace (walking through the Parks, leaving for a mid day break when they needed it, returning when they got enough rest and food, and leaving when they were ready.

I live in SoCal and frequent Sea World and the San Diego Zoo often with no stroller. At Sea World we can go about 4.5 hours, just having to carry my youngest through the parking lot - and this is alone, my DH doesn't come with us on these outings. I think I want a stroller for getting around quickly and in case my youngest wants to nap earlier in the day than usual. I am still considering a single, but the last time I did this my youngest was sitting in the front (single BOB) and my oldest kicked him in the back and knocked him to the ground. I'd like to avoid these types of situations at the happiest place on earth! Haha!

A stroller is a must! Like others have said bring the double, tie a brightly colored ribbon around it and be courteous.

As for the Character Breakfast, We go to one every time and love it! We prefer Minnie's as we like the character selection better.

Have a magical time!

If you have two strollers and some willing to push the second strollers, I would highly recommend going with two strollers. I found that the single was pretty easy to navigate in the parks (watch out for the trolley tracks on Main Street - somehow the wheels of the strollers were seemingly magnetically attracted to those groves!) and it meant the kids could separate if need be. The older child (just shy of 5) used the stroller for the longer walks or when we were in hurry, but walked otherwise. Still, without the strollers, I think the walk to and from the vacation house would have done her in! The younger (just shy of 3) used the stroller more often - for naps, for getting from place-to-place, to watch parades from, etc. We considered taking the double stroller, but decided that being able to split up, if needed, would be better for our group.

Your kids are at the perfect age for a character breakfast right now, so if you are going to give it a chance at any time, now is the time to do it. We loved Minnie's on our last trip, and this time we are going to try Surf's Up. Yes, the honest answer is your double stroller will be annoying to other people and yourself. It will be very difficult to maneuver through crowds and stores (well forget taking it in any stores really). That doesn't mean you shouldn't take one, you have to do what you think will be easiest for your situation and just go with the flow and know that you could possible get stuck places and take a long time to get from point A to point B. If your kids are both still stroller nappers then I am sure you will be grateful you have it come nap time! Even with our single stroller we face obstacles and have to go much slower. It might be faster if we carried the kids but it saves our backs, and they like to nap in them :) This next trip we are going to try having DS walk and share the stroller time with DD. I can't do a double in Disney for my own sanity.

We took our girls to WDW when they were 5 and nearly 3. We took a single stroller. They fussed over it the entire trip. Take a seat for both of them. I see doubles at Disneyland all the time, the only time I think anything about them is when they have kids way too old for them riding in them (like meet every HR in the park size). Two preschoolers, I wouldn't even give it a second glance.

Your kids are at the perfect age for a character breakfast right now, so if you are going to give it a chance at any time, now is the time to do it. We loved Minnie's on our last trip, and this time we are going to try Surf's Up.

Thanks! I just reserved Goofy's Kitchen breakfast for one of our days. I think my boys will enjoy this one more than some of the others - Well, maybe tSurf's Up would be better (because of the possibility of Mickey!), but the reviews for Goofy's are better.

We used a double stroller when we took our 2 year old twins in September. It was great but I look forward to being able to manage without a stroller. We have a city select at home and rented a city mini double for the trip. We prefered the mini for in the parks.

Even though it was quite maneuverable we usually parked it and walked to all the rides in the area. Our kids are used to walking lots and for long distances but not for five days in the extreme heat.

For our next trip we will likely rent the stroller again just in case and leave it in the hotel some days if we can get away with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter