First time with a sensory kid, ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That should have been our first tip off with DS. At 12 months he said no words, no gestures, nothing. Luckily our ped was proactive and we started speech therapy at around 14 months. However, I had to pursue the SPD diagsosis on my own. I knew something wasn't right so around the time my son turned 3 I called the ped and said "we need to test him for autism". Even then I had to be persistant as the doctor testing him for autism said "I am 99.9% sure he is not autistic" to which I responded "well then how to we explain" and I proceeded to list all the things which I knew pointed to SPD (as I'd already been researching). She then agreed to refer us to the school system for an OT to assess him. I have yet to hear from the school board! Anyway, I knew the school system would be slow so within 2 weeks of the doctor's initial assessment I scheduled an appointment with an OT. We know when something isn't quite right with our kids and I knew we needed to act fast as the younger the child the better the outcome with SPD (at least that is what our OT said). He is so much better now. The daily 90 minute tantrums have now almost disappeared (we still have occassional ones but not every day any more). The inability to sit still is still there but is no longer affecting him at school and really the only time I notice it now is if we are waiting in a queue or if he gets really bored. The OT uses a lap weight during our therapy sessions and I think I may need to invest in one before he starts school next year. I know we still have many challenges ahead....and are still dealing (I've only touched the surface here on the board) but he is improving every day. He is often able to find ways to calm himself on his own now which is something he could never do before therapy. I feel certain your DD is going to have great success as well. Feel free to PM me any time! It is nice to know we are not alone as it sure feels that way sometimes!

I've got definite SPD - for instance, I'm freaking out right now because I'm afraid that my apartment building is going to test fire alarms this week when I'm in the building, and fire alarms are probably my worst trigger - but it's self-diagnosed. I've been to DL twice and WDW so many times I've lost count, all before the diagnosis of SPD ever existed - my last Disney trip was in August 2001. I've also got severe depression, social anxiety, a non-verbal learning disability (though not a diagnosis of NVLD that would equate to the autism spectrum), a crazy number of allergies, a congenital heart defect, a bad knee and flat feet - it's a wonder I managed to survive all my trips!

I've definitely learned to adapt, though. I'm afraid of free-fall, so I try to avoid the Tower of Terror. The last few trips, I've avoided the teacups, because while I used to love them, they now make me nauseated. When I was a child, my family would usually go to the park in the morning, go back to the on-site hotel for a rest in the afternoon, then return to the park in the evening. I still remember riding Splash Mountain at midnight in the rain. I hate being stuck in the middle of large crowds, and thankfully my traveling companions invariably want to avoid the parades as well.

My father and I managed to hit Disneyland in '97, and we hit Indiana Jones first thing in the morning as well as last thing before we left. When I was last at WDW, my friend and I rode the Rock'N'Roller Coaster, or however it's spelled, seven times in one afternoon, without a FastPass. (I'm wondering if *I'm* a sensory-seeker, because I still like upside-down roller coasters as long as I remember to take off my earrings first.)

So, feel free to PM me and I'll try to remember more tips.

(And speaking of trips, on my last vacation, I slipped on a wet floor and broke my wrist. This vacation was in April, but I went to the orthopedist two weeks ago, and now I have at least five more weeks in a thankfully waterproof cast.)

Take your daughter to Guest Services on your first park day and explain that she has some sensory issues that make it difficult for her to wait in lines with a lot of other people around.

We took our two sons (age 4 and 5) to WDW for the first time in March. We live near DL, so go there often. I've NEVER used a GAC there. But, WDW was different, and "not familiar" to our boys, so it caused a LOT of anxiety and increase in behaviors that we hadn't seen for awhile.

My 4 year old has speech/language impairment and SPD, just like your DD. My older son has Autism.

We were at WDW the week before Easter. That GAC was a LIFESAVER. Oh my gosh. If it hadn't been for that, we would not have ridden anything! We would have spent the week at the hotel.

It really just allows you to NOT have to wait in the winding lines or crowded pre show areas. Some of these areas have seats, and are dark or quiet, but I assure you, my son was NOT calm and quiet. In fact, I liked that he could jump around, spin, flop on the floor, etc. while we waited for the ride. At home, at Disneyland, all he tries to do is climb the poles and hang on the chains in the lines, and it is SO difficult to keep hold of him. I still do not use a GAC at DL, as we just go when it's not crowded, so never wait more than 5 min for a ride, but I think it's essential at WDW, especially during a crowded time.

Also, SILLY PUTTY works really well as a "fidget". It's non messy, pliable, and there is a lot you can do with it. We also bought our son a set of three little Disney transport buses, and he loved holding one and spinning the wheels.

Take your daughter to Guest Services on your first park day and explain that she has some sensory issues that make it difficult for her to wait in lines with a lot of other people around.

We took our two sons (age 4 and 5) to WDW for the first time in March. We live near DL, so go there often. I've NEVER used a GAC there. But, WDW was different, and "not familiar" to our boys, so it caused a LOT of anxiety and increase in behaviors that we hadn't seen for awhile.

My 4 year old has speech/language impairment and SPD, just like your DD. My older son has Autism.

We were at WDW the week before Easter. That GAC was a LIFESAVER. Oh my gosh. If it hadn't been for that, we would not have ridden anything! We would have spent the week at the hotel.

It really just allows you to NOT have to wait in the winding lines or crowded pre show areas. Some of these areas have seats, and are dark or quiet, but I assure you, my son was NOT calm and quiet. In fact, I liked that he could jump around, spin, flop on the floor, etc. while we waited for the ride. At home, at Disneyland, all he tries to do is climb the poles and hang on the chains in the lines, and it is SO difficult to keep hold of him. I still do not use a GAC at DL, as we just go when it's not crowded, so never wait more than 5 min for a ride, but I think it's essential at WDW, especially during a crowded time.

Also, SILLY PUTTY works really well as a "fidget". It's non messy, pliable, and there is a lot you can do with it. We also bought our son a set of three little Disney transport buses, and he loved holding one and spinning the wheels.

Thanks, your right about your son and my DD4. They sound alot alike, I dind't think about silly putty. I need to go find some. Some have mentioned a stroller as a wheelchair. I'm trying to decide if that will work. I know it
s going to be super crowded, and it could contain her for me in really crowded areas.

They are now going to evaluate my DS for some sensory issues. I don't know how I can do 2, I know God only gives me what I can handle. But oh it's overwhelming!

First I would like to respond to GoofyG. No I am not going to yell at you just clarify a few things that are not obvious to those who do not deal with these issues on a regular basis. There are at times more then just a few people with GAC cards or such in that other line. They are there for a reason even if it is not apparent. Either they or the people with them are much more tolerent of others issues. We tend to have more empathy for the situation so it does not seem as much of a bother. As for service dogs they may help in a specific situation but they are a permanent solution. A person may not be ready to add a new member to their family just yet and that is what a service dog is. Though it is a good solution and they are wonderful it really is another family member and a permanent one not one that can be borrowed temporarily. Again I don't mean to yell or insult you either but did want to clarify.

Sue M. I don't know what we would do without your guidance sometimes. Wish we could meet you someday while visiting the world to thank you in person.

To the original poster. There is a light at the end of all this even if it seems overwhelming at times. Sometimes the stimulation they crave breeds more and can be overwhelming. I have two sn kids. The oldest is 23 now. So we have been dealing with some of these issues for awhile now. We always build some down time into each Disney day. Weather it is time at the pool, a playground or something else it does make a big difference. When in the parks most people make a beeline to see the parades at parade times. We do just the opposite. This is when we go to the popular rides with the long lines. You can almost walk right on them sometimes. We usually go the last week in April and this is considered to be a busy time in the parks also. I would recomend you get Passporters book Open Mouse for families dealing with disabities. It has alot of great info. Now if you pm me I will make a tag for your daughter. We attatch them to our kids belt loops. This is incase someone gets misplaced. I'll decorate with her favorite disney character. I put my kids names, list their disabilies , any meds they are on, our names and cell phone #s, to locate us. Also let the adults take turns with the other two. My niece is a competative gymnast also. They tent to be more disaplined. That being said give your 6yr old the job of pushing your 2yr olds stroller and keeping him entertained while waiting in line. Tell her that the other adult needs her help to do this. This way she feels important and part of the solutions and not left out. We have a third child, the reason for every gray hair I have, so we are well aquainted with this. It is very important that they feel they are not forgotten in all the chaos. Don't forget to have fun while you are there. If you are happy and enjoying yourself the kids will also. Remember you are not alone even in WDW. There are lots of us out there. Sending you lots of pixie dust. :tinker::tinker::tinker:

First I would like to respond to GoofyG. No I am not going to yell at you just clarify a few things that are not obvious to those who do not deal with these issues on a regular basis. There are at times more then just a few people with GAC cards or such in that other line. They are there for a reason even if it is not apparent. Either they or the people with them are much more tolerent of others issues. We tend to have more empathy for the situation so it does not seem as much of a bother. As for service dogs they may help in a specific situation but they are a permanent solution. A person may not be ready to add a new member to their family just yet and that is what a service dog is. Though it is a good solution and they are wonderful it really is another family member and a permanent one not one that can be borrowed temporarily. Again I don't mean to yell or insult you either but did want to clarify.

Sue M. I don't know what we would do without your guidance sometimes. Wish we could meet you someday while visiting the world to thank you in person.

To the original poster. There is a light at the end of all this even if it seems overwhelming at times. Sometimes the stimulation they crave breeds more and can be overwhelming. I have two sn kids. The oldest is 23 now. So we have been dealing with some of these issues for awhile now. We always build some down time into each Disney day. Weather it is time at the pool, a playground or something else it does make a big difference. When in the parks most people make a beeline to see the parades at parade times. We do just the opposite. This is when we go to the popular rides with the long lines. You can almost walk right on them sometimes. We usually go the last week in April and this is considered to be a busy time in the parks also. I would recomend you get Passporters book Open Mouse for families dealing with disabities. It has alot of great info. Now if you pm me I will make a tag for your daughter. We attatch them to our kids belt loops. This is incase someone gets misplaced. I'll decorate with her favorite disney character. I put my kids names, list their disabilies , any meds they are on, our names and cell phone #s, to locate us. Also let the adults take turns with the other two. My niece is a competative gymnast also. They tent to be more disaplined. That being said give your 6yr old the job of pushing your 2yr olds stroller and keeping him entertained while waiting in line. Tell her that the other adult needs her help to do this. This way she feels important and part of the solutions and not left out. We have a third child, the reason for every gray hair I have, so we are well aquainted with this. It is very important that they feel they are not forgotten in all the chaos. Don't forget to have fun while you are there. If you are happy and enjoying yourself the kids will also. Remember you are not alone even in WDW. There are lots of us out there. Sending you lots of pixie dust. :tinker::tinker::tinker:

Thanks for the info/ideas for my DD6 to be involved. I need to go find the book you suggested. I will pm you after I talk to her OT and see hwat all she thinks for the trip too.

Sorry Goofy G. That first paragrapgh in my previous post was ment to reply to what what another person suggested. If you can't find the passporter site for the book try amazon or Barnes and noble.

Sorry Goofy G. That first paragrapgh in my previous post was ment to reply to what what another person suggested. If you can't find the passporter site for the book try amazon or Barnes and noble.

No problem , I understood! :thumbsup2

I'm going to see if the local bookstore has it. Thanks

Mickeyandminnie, this isn't meant to sound defensive, but I wasn't trying to suggest that a service dog was a quick or temporary solution. I've been around them for nearly 20 years (and I'm only 24) so I know how much they're part of the family. I only mentioned it as something for the OP to possibly look into should she feel the time is right and if it was be beneficial for her daughter. Obviously it'd take time for them to establish a team of her daughter and a dog, but it could be something that would help them in years to come. Since it's new diagnosis, and probably very overwhelming, I figured I'd bring it up as an idea that maybe she hadn't considered yet. :hug:

:blush:
I do really love meeting people at WDW!
Doesn't happen often, but I do always try to have a lime green Mickey head on my purse with my DIS user name on it.:cloud9:

About the Passporter Book:
No problem , I understood! :thumbsup2

I'm going to see if the local bookstore has it. Thanks
You can find the book at Passporter.com or by doing a search on Amazon.com.

The current version of the book is called "Passporter's Open Mouse".
I was one of the peer reviewers for the first edition of the book, so am very familiar with it.

I do usually mention it is an excellent resource, but can look overwhelming because it is a rather large book. Keep in mind that it is covering information about everything, including the all resorts. So, there are large sections that you will be able to skip if you have already chosen your resort.
I think it is best to take in small 'doses' to start with. Just chose somewhere you would like more information about and skim through that section. Don't try to remember or note everything the first time you read it - you will quickly feel overloaded.

:blush:
I do really love meeting people at WDW!
Doesn't happen often, but I do always try to have a lime green Mickey head on my purse with my DIS user name on it.:cloud9:

About the Passporter Book:
You can find the book at Passporter.com or by doing a search on Amazon.com.

The current version of the book is called "Passporter's Open Mouse".
I was one of the peer reviewers for the first edition of the book, so am very familiar with it.

I do usually mention it is an excellent resource, but can look overwhelming because it is a rather large book. Keep in mind that it is covering information about everything, including the all resorts. So, there are large sections that you will be able to skip if you have already chosen your resort.
I think it is best to take in small 'doses' to start with. Just chose somewhere you would like more information about and skim through that section. Don't try to remember or note everything the first time you read it - you will quickly feel overloaded.

Thanks!:thumbsup2

My DS is a sensory "seeker" also and would never sit in a stroller. He craves movement, he needs to touch things, etc. If you have an OT ask him/her for some advice. Definitely try to use FastPass. Bring "fidget" toys like squishy balls, "hair" balls, all with different textures. Find little toys that will engage the hands. A stuffed animal isn't going to work, in my experience.

You may also inquire about deep pressure that you can apply. Ask your OT before doing too much. My DS absolutely needs this. But, simple things like lettling the child squeeze your hands or doing a simple push/pull with you while waiting can help.

As far as movement, let the child hop in place.

When not in line (and you should be taking plenty of breaks) find a place without a crowd where the child can run. If he is a flight risk, of course be sure the area is contained. That goes without saying.

Plan for plenty of pool time!

I have found my DS does better than expected at WDW. I think it is because there is so much vestibular stimulation and a lot of walking that helps with movement and low body tone.

Although, my DS needs more stimuli than others he has a very low need for visual stimulation. (My point being that not all "seekers" have a high need for every type of stimulus.) He needs sunglasses. If an attraction has a lot of visuals, he needs a break after.

Try not to worry too much. A lot of people are much more understanding than you think. I thought I would die last year when DS (age 11 then) went up to a total stranger (woman) and gave her a kiss on the cheek. :scared1: She just smiled and I gave a brief apology and explanation.

I agree with the use of a stroller. You can have a stamp on the GAC that lets you use the stroller like a wheelchair all the way to the ride (in come cases).
My SPD son (4yrs) is a screamer & "get out of my space" pusher. At our recent trip to DL we used the stroller more than we thought. He has low muscle tone and anxiety so the stroller like a wheelchair helped in many ways! Otherwise we would've had to hold him in line (yes hold a 4 yr old...exhausting!). I think it became his "safe" spot. He's a movement seeker too and he never complained about getting in the stroller, especially if it meant to get on a ride.

For your situation I think the stroller would be a good break spot as another poster said. But mostly it would keep her contained & safe while waiting in the line. Even if she only sat in it when in line. You could put a weighted lap blanket in her lap and/or neck weight (you could get/make a special one with her fav disney character) and give her a fidget (I'd get her a new one for each day, then have the others as backup, that she can ask for).
You could also use it in crowed situations and add some vestibular input for her sake. Like going on two wheels (side to side), tipping her backwards, going and stopping, driving it curvy, etc. Of course make sure she is strapped in ;)

Also I did a lot of research on the type of stroller and "practiced" using it before we went. I got a small, umbrella type, with a hood. Most importantly a deep sitting spot & good foot support. I got it a Toys r us. I can look for the link and PM you if interested.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: You are not alone!! I sounds like you have a wonderful and supportive family and of course God. You are so right that He doesn't give you more than you can handle but boy is it hard! Remember he wouldn't put you in it if He didn't know you could get through it. Also remember that He wouldn't make this trip happen if He didn't want you to do it. Fully rely on God and the Magic of Disney. And use the DISboards for help. "We are here for you!" :grouphug:

My son is a little younger than your dd but he has Autism and SPD. We find for him when we are waiting in lines or in crowds, he does so much better if he is in his stroller as several other PP's have said. I think he feels more secure and it helps block out a lot of stimuli as well as keeps him from feeling trapped I believe. However, I was thinking, if your dd isn't used to the stroller anymore, it may bother her more than it helps so maybe try and use it some before your trip.

We just got Sat. from a trip and it was wonderful because it was not crowded at all. For us, we used the stroller in any line that had a wait longer than 5 or 10 min. (we still waited in the regular line unless we had a FP) and then when we weren't in line or walking in a crowded place, we let him run around to burn off some energy. We also found that going to the parks early, leaving after lunch for a break, and then letting him play at the resort playground in the afternoon helped keep him from getting too overwhelmed. We were also there in Nov. and had a horrible trip with lots of tantrums and NO sleep. I think the difference for us this time was there weren't really any crowds and we were a little smarter about the balance between stroller and letting him be himself.

I hope your trip goes well and that everything works out for you and your family! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter