• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time WDW Visitor are my Reservations OK?

raebyddet

Earning My Ears
My Wife and I are going to WDW in August (its the only time we could go) we are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter and have the dining plan. Its just my wife and I we are both in our Late 20's.

I have made advance reservations as follows:

Sat - Chefs De France (Epcot) 7:00pm we will watch Illuminations afterwards.
Sun - Tony's Town Square Restaurant (MK) 6:15pm Should have plenty of time for fireworks after.
Mon - Narcoosee's (Grand Floridian) 8:10pm. We should be able to see both the Fireworks (MK) and the Water Parade from the restaurant.
Tues - Rose and Crown Pub (Epcot) 6:30.
Wed - Mama Melrose (MGM) - 4:50pm. We have the priority reserved seating for Fantasmic.
Thurs - Open - No Reservation
Friday- Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant (Downtown Disney) 6:00. We have tickets to the 9:00 Cirque Show.
Saturday - Nothing, our flight leaves at 3:15, so something quick.

Any thoughts or comments? All input appreciated.

I think this itinerary looks pretty good overall. What is your park itinerary for the trip? That might help us figure out if you've got a really good plan, or if you're likely to find yourself scrambling to get places. We always try and make our ADR's after we've decided on our park itinerary so that we don't allow "the food" to dictate the course of the trip-but that's just our particular preference.

My Wife and I are going to WDW in August (its the only time we could go) we are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter and have the dining plan. Its just my wife and I we are both in our Late 20's.

I have made advance reservations as follows:

Sat - Chefs De France (Epcot) 7:00pm we will watch Illuminations afterwards.
Sun - Tony's Town Square Restaurant (MK) 6:15pm Should have plenty of time for fireworks after.
Mon - Narcoosee's (Grand Floridian) 8:10pm. We should be able to see both the Fireworks (MK) and the Water Parade from the restaurant.
Tues - Rose and Crown Pub (Epcot) 6:30.
Wed - Mama Melrose (MGM) - 4:50pm. We have the priority reserved seating for Fantasmic.
Thurs - Open - No Reservation
Friday- Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant (Downtown Disney) 6:00. We have tickets to the 9:00 Cirque Show.
Saturday - Nothing, our flight leaves at 3:15, so something quick.

Any thoughts or comments? All input appreciated.

If you can push Rose and Crown to 7:30 they have outdoor seating so you can view Illuminations, if you are seated inside they take you to an outdoor patio for viewing the show when it starts.

I think this itinerary looks pretty good overall. What is your park itinerary for the trip? That might help us figure out if you've got a really good plan, or if you're likely to find yourself scrambling to get places. We always try and make our ADR's after we've decided on our park itinerary so that we don't allow "the food" to dictate the course of the trip-but that's just our particular preference.

I would say that is kind of what we tried to do, we tried to lay out the parks we wanted to see and on what days, and kind of went with places to eat from there.

Sat - Arrive 3pm - Check in to hotel - Epcot and Dinner (Chefs de France).
Sun - Morning at Epcot - Evening and dinner at MK (Tony's Town)
Mon - All Day MK - Dinner at Narcoosee's
Tue - MGM Morning - Epcot evening (Rose and Crown Pub)
Wed - AK morning - MGM evening (Mama Melrose)
Thurs - Open all day
Fri - Open Morning and Afternoon - Evening -Ralgan Road then Cirque
Sat - Open - Leave at about noon.

Is our plan crazy? We are there for a week, so we thought going somewhere in the morning taking a break and then going somewhere in the afternoon early evening would be a good idea.

If you can push Rose and Crown to 7:30 they have outdoor seating so you can view Illuminations, if you are seated inside they take you to an outdoor patio for viewing the show when it starts.

That is a good idea, but because its August we were a little worried about the heat sitting outside, so we decided to go for earlier and just be out side for viewing.

Sounds like you have put a lot of efort into your ADR's. You have a nice variety of places.

Now, the question is, will you be doing a trip report when you get back?:yay:

Oh how I envy you so! Dh and I are in our late 20's also :rolleyes1 We would love to go for our anniversary.

I think you ADR's are wonderful!! Very grownup! (we have 2 kids) Hope you have a GREAT time!!

Sounds like you've done a lot of great planning. Your ADRs look good, but just a word of caution for a couple of the places you will be going. Our family did the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package last year. The reserved seating area was nice, but dinner was really bad. I can't speak to the other restaurants that are included in the Fantasmic package, but we barely ate anything at Mama Melrose because we did not like the food. And we're not picky eaters. Narcoosee's is a dream! You'll have such a great evening there. Just be aware that even if you have a window seat for dinner, a lot of people gather outside on the porch to watch the fireworks and the parade and could block your view from inside.

Sat - Arrive 3pm - Check in to hotel - Epcot and Dinner (Chefs de France).
Sun - Morning at Epcot - Evening and dinner at MK (Tony's Town)
Mon - All Day MK - Dinner at Narcoosee's
Tue - MGM Morning - Epcot evening (Rose and Crown Pub)
Wed - AK morning - MGM evening (Mama Melrose)
Thurs - Open all day
Fri - Open Morning and Afternoon - Evening -Ralgan Road then Cirque
Sat - Open - Leave at about noon.

In my opinion, I would not pick Tony's (on Sunday) at MK. Awful food. You are in EPCOT that morning, I would strongly recommend finishing off with a nice lunch at almost any of the restaurants in the World Showcase.

On Wednesday, I agree with previous poster, Mama Melrose has awful food. You are in AK that day, how about an early, early dinner in Boma. I think they open at 4pm? during that month. Boma is one of the "must-do"s not on your list.

In my opinion, I would not pick Tony's (on Sunday) at MK. Awful food.

Several people have said that Tony's and Mama Melrose have bad food. What about the food is bad? Is it the quality, flavor, too mass produced, can anyone qualitatively describe how the food is bad? I'm just curious.

Sounds like you've done a lot of great planning. Your ADRs look good, but just a word of caution for a couple of the places you will be going. Our family did the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package last year. The reserved seating area was nice, but dinner was really bad. I can't speak to the other restaurants that are included in the Fantasmic package, but we barely ate anything at Mama Melrose because we did not like the food. And we're not picky eaters. Narcoosee's is a dream! You'll have such a great evening there. Just be aware that even if you have a window seat for dinner, a lot of people gather outside on the porch to watch the fireworks and the parade and could block your view from inside.

Thanks, we tried to have a pretty good variety of foods. Narcoosee's is not really about being able to see the fireworks and stuff, we just wanted to have one fairly nice dinner while we were there. So if we don't see the fireworks its ok.

Several people have said that Tony's and Mama Melrose have bad food. What about the food is bad? Is it the quality, flavor, too mass produced, can anyone qualitatively describe how the food is bad? I'm just curious.

The quality and selection of the food at Mama Melrose is awful. There's a limited selection, but on top of that, the food is overcooked and bland. I think the only thing I ate was the rotiserrie chicken which was less dry than everything else. This was a year ago, so their menu and quality might have changed, but I doubt it and it's not something I want to retry. The counter service food was by far better and much cheaper too. I think they link these restaurants to the Fantasmic show package just so they will get some business!

Here are a few tips that my DH and I have learned (we're in our 20s too) from eating at WDW:

1. If you are a big fan of French Onion Soup (like my DH is), try Chefs de France for before 7 b/c they stop making it after 7.

2. We've ate at Narcoossee's before, it is excellent! I don't know if you care or not, but if you change you mind and really want the best view of fireworks with GREAT food (IMHO just a step above Narcoossee's) try the CA Grill at the Contemporary. AMAZING!!! And 2 TS credits like Narcossee's.

3. I'd have to agree on Mama Melrose. I was really excited b/c it's an Italian restaurant and I love Italian food. But it was not good. I would maybe suggest getting your ADR changed to Hollywood and Vine, it's a Fantasmic dinner package restaurant. It's buffet, and out of the 3 restaurants to choose from for the dinner package, it's the best. If you don't mind having the VIP seating and just heading to Fantasmic a little earlier, I would suggest to change your ADR to 50s Prime Time Cafe. It's at MGM and one of the funnest restaurants you'll go to with great food. Again, IMHO I'd go for the good food and give up an extra 1/2 hour of your time to get regular seats at Fantasmic if none of the restaurants look appealing to you.

4. Have fun and sorry I wrote a book! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter