First time visitors won a trip to WDW...is this too much?

crazee4mickey

<font color=darkcoral>Ever thought you had a great
I have friends who have won a trip to WDW---they will be going for 10 days Jan 16-26. This is a huge thing for them as they have never been on a holiday like this before.

Now they have asked if I think the travel agent who they must deal with (due to it being a contest) is trying to take advantage of of them because they have no idea what a WDW trip entails.

The value of the package was $5000-there are 3 people going(2 adults, 1 child) from Jan 16-22 she has them booked at Pop Century with a 6 day MYW hopper pass plus dining, then she has them going to the Renaissance Seaworld International with a car rental from Jan 22-26.

She also is telling them to get tickets to Discovery Cove swim with Dolphins/Seaworld/Busch Gardens PLUS a one day pass to Universal!!!!
For first timers I think this will be WAY too overwhelming for them plus it has gone quite a bit over the prize value (which isn't really all that affordable for them)---if you were giving advice what would you--as seasoned WDW travellers---tell them?

I think WDW hopper with water park passes plus Seaworld would be more than enough for first timers as it can be very overwhelming--plus couldn't they just stay at a WDW resort the entire time and take a shuttle or something to Seaworld?

Give any advice as they are worried she is just trying to boost her commission!
TIA

Yeah it sounds like she's totally bumping her commish. When are they going to have time to have fun, it sounds like she has them spending their time running around Orlando.
What's the age of the child? And do they live in very differing time zones? We're staying around the same time at a Mod (10 nights), park tickets (hoppers no water park), dinning and flights for a family of three at $4,700 (come on code!). DD is 7 and our last trip she really struggled on the second day due to jet lag. And we had to go slower that day. With our upcomming trip we're planning on doing 2 days per park, and are using mears. If I had the spare cash we'd bump up a resort level. And if DD were a teen we'd most likely do a day or two at universal.

I agree that it is too much. Like PP said a lot would also depend on the age of the child and if they will have jet lag and need a day to recover. When we go for 10 days (only do the Disney Parks) two days at each park plus a few extra for whatever. Also they should think about what they really want to see while they are there, not what the travel agent is pushing them to see. Discovery Cove is expensive-I think around $200 a person! What ever they do I hope they have a great trip :)!

She's got the going to a park everyday they are at Disney? I've been going to Disney since I was 6 (too many years to count). No matter how old I was I wouldn't go to the parks 6 days straight! They also have park hoppers? We are going from 9/23-9/30. We won't be able to do any parks on the first or last day because of flight times. Still I am only planning on doing each park for 1 day. I didn't get park hoppers because I have small kids and think we can do what we want during the day with a midday break.

I think a lot of the planning would depend on their flight times and jet lag. They may not be able to do those days. Also, what are they into? Busch Gardens and Universal are a nice change if they enjoy rollar coasters, which Disney doesn't really have.

I do think the travel agent is planning too much for them! If they choose a smaller number of days ticket and want to change it, they can upgrade.

I don't understand the logic of making them switch hotels in the middle of their trip? It seems like a pain, especially since they're going from on-site to off-site (I don't know first-hand - it just isn't a plan I would make). I suppose it depends on what THEY really want to see/do. I think Sea World is great for 1 day, but I wouldn't switch hotels just to go there. And Busch Gardens is in Tampa, so is the TA planning on them driving there (I guess)?

I'd say it's WAY too much. IMHO, they should stay on-property the entire trip - take a 1 or 2 day excursion to Sea World (and/or Universal) if they really want and don't worry about going to the parks every day. They could keep the 6 day passes or add a couple more days for a nominal price ($10 or less for up to 3 more days). I'd tell the TA I wanted to focus only on Disney - then they can decide if they want to do another park while they're there (except Discovery Cove - you do have to book that in advance I think). Unless of course, they DON'T only want to focus on Disney!

I agree with others it does seem like alot. Also, Busch Gardens is pretty far away, an hour or more if I remember correctly.

Is this the only trip they are going to take and so the Travel Agent is trying to fit EVERYTHING in 10 days? I don't know where they are coming from to get to WDW, but seems like they will hit a wall eventually, get awfully tired and not be able to enjoy a darn thing.

The only thing I might keep in the schedule is a day or two at Universal depending on the age of the child. They can get a taxi over there for alot cheaper than a rental car.

Is the total amount that they are getting covering the whole trip or just the WDW part and that is why the agent is trying to make sure the amount is used? Or she is just looking for that big commission on their oop expenses.

Regardless, it would be way too much for my family and we go to WDW every year.

Kelly

I

I think WDW hopper with water park passes plus Seaworld would be more than enough for first timers as it can be very overwhelming--plus couldn't they just stay at a WDW resort the entire time and take a shuttle or something to Seaworld?

TIA

Yes, they could stay at their resort and still head to universal and Seaworld. We have done this in the past. They have dining, so why pay to eat outside the world. We simply had a c/s breakfast at our hotel, packed a few snacks, went to SW and then had a later dinner around 8. The only cost to us were the SW tickets and the taxi ride. I think there are several options to get to Universal and Sea World.

Definitely sounds like she is boosting her commission! $5000 prize for WDW is a great deal of $$ for 3 people. I would imagine, staying at POP, they should be able to do a 10 day trip with very little oop expense done right.

Just my thoughts.

Kelly

Kelly

I would find out what part of this trip was the prize, and what is extra that the TA is just adding on. Did they win $5000 to use toward the trip however they want, or did they win the hotel, park tickets, dining plan, etc.

I think the first step would be to figure out what portion of the trip is the prize, and what is extra - and then decide which extras they want to cut out.

I
She also is telling them to get tickets to Discovery Cove swim with Dolphins/Seaworld/Busch Gardens PLUS a one day pass to Universal!!!!
For first timers I think this will be WAY too overwhelming for them plus it has gone quite a bit over the prize value (which isn't really all that affordable for them)---if you were giving advice what would you--as seasoned WDW travellers---tell them?

TIA

I don't know much about Florida in January, but swimming?? Won't it be too cold for swim with the dolphins and water parks?

I have friends who have won a trip to WDW---they will be going for 10 days Jan 16-26. This is a huge thing for them as they have never been on a holiday like this before.

Now they have asked if I think the travel agent who they must deal with (due to it being a contest) is trying to take advantage of of them because they have no idea what a WDW trip entails.

The value of the package was $5000-there are 3 people going(2 adults, 1 child) from Jan 16-22 she has them booked at Pop Century with a 6 day MYW hopper pass plus dining, then she has them going to the Renaissance Seaworld International with a car rental from Jan 22-26.

TIA

3 people can stay at one of the nicer WDW resorts for the entire trip for that kind of money..... Like AKL. $5,000 for 10 days is alot for 3 people.
We always do the dining plan & park hoppers (and only stay @ a deluxe) so, I do know the price range! :)

telll your friends to not switch hotels mid trip just to go to Sea World
they can rent a car or take the bus from DTD to SW

like pp said have them check what is the actual 5000.00 going towards.

some of it might be spending money princess:

Wow, definitely way too much for anyone, let alone first-timers! Tell that TA to back off! Switching hotels mid-trip is ludicrous!

I'd say it's WAY too much. IMHO, they should stay on-property the entire trip - take a 1 or 2 day excursion to Sea World (and/or Universal) if they really want and don't worry about going to the parks every day. They could keep the 6 day passes or add a couple more days for a nominal price ($10 or less for up to 3 more days). I'd tell the TA I wanted to focus only on Disney - then they can decide if they want to do another park while they're there (except Discovery Cove - you do have to book that in advance I think). Unless of course, they DON'T only want to focus on Disney!

I agree with this. I would stay in the same place, on property the entire time. Rather than going to to some of the other places, I'd probably upgrade my hotel. If they want to go to Seaworld, take a day trip. With 10 days they have so much time to relax and enjoy WDW. IMO moving midway through the trip they will be rushed at WDW and rushed at the other location as well!

maybe i missed it, but what exactly did they win? if i was thewm i would just stick to what i won. im confused as to why they need to do extra?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter