First time visitor

mdmilburne

Earning My Ears
Looking to make my first reservations to Fort Wilderness and looking for some help. First can I request what section I would like or do they fit you in on the next available site that will accommodate your rv? Which sections accommodate larger rv’s? I will be towing down a 33’ travel trailer with double slides. Again never coming down to Fort Wilderness are there better sections to say then others? I have a 5-year-old grandson that will coming with us and have no pets. I was looking at the sections close to the lake is that a wise choice? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

First let me say :welcome:

Secondly, there are actually dozens of threads (and thousands of posts) around here that are dedicated to answering these types of questions, so you might do well to do some reading around. The Fort FAQ thread (click me) would be a great start, and it includes a map to help you get oriented.

To a large extent, the type of site you reserve will dictate which part of the campground you will be assigned to. For instance, the Preferred loops (100-300) are all located near the marina area, all the Full loops (1600-1900) are in a somewhat secluded corner of the CG but within walking distance of the main pool. So the first thing is to decided which type (and price-range) of campsite you want.

But to directly answer your question, you can make a request. You can have a request noted on your reservation when you make it. You can request a particular loop (or even site) but there is no guarantee that such requests will be honored, so it is wiser to request features you'd like in a campsite so the assigner has some flexibility in meeting your needs.

:santa:

WELCOME
to the camping boards !
You are gonna have such a great time at the Fort. There's so much to do with your grandson,,how old is he ? One of my favorite things to do at the Fort is fish,,bring your pole, you don't need a license as long as you fish on Disney property.
I always make requests on the site I would like to have,,sometimes we get it ,, sometimes we don't. :confused3
As to where is the better sites,,well, thats to each ones taste.But they will set you up with a site that will accomdate your RV,,keep in mind that no matter how big or small your RV the sites at the Fort are tight in most cases.

Is there a website I can visit that will show a detailed map of sites for each section of the Fort Wilderness campground? This way it may help me decide what section and what site I would like to reserve.

Thanks

There isn't a website, but I have developed a GoogleEarth map that shows considerable detail about the Fort. It can be downloaded here. You must have GoogleEarth installed to use it, which can be downloaded here.

HIH

Shan-Man is being modest. He developed a fantastic site to look at everything FW. I used it to pick out some great sites in Loop 500 and was thrilled with the site we got and used it again for Loop 300 for our trip in a few days. We like trying out different loops. Check it out.

Just wanted to say welcome. Though I can't help you directly, as my first trip is not until September, you have come to the right place to get your questions answered. The folks here are great and know FW inside and out.

Wow, wow, wow! Just spent a looooong time playing with the Google Earth map -- thanks SO much to everyone who took the time and effort to create that. It's really spectacular!

Thanks, thanks, thanks! I'm delighted you found it helpful... makes it all worthwhile!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm still dazzled by the Google Earth map. How could I contribute photos?

Polkadotsuitcase, usually folks just post pictures in a trip report, or the Picture of the Day thread, or the Post a Picture of Your Campsite thread. I monitor those threads and when I see a pic I think would be helpful to put in the Site Map I ask if I can use it. Most folks use PhotoBucket to host their pics for free, and then link them to their DIS posts. Thanks for your interest and desire to contribute!

Mouseketeer_Mom, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

We had premium site (loop 400) this last trip. Because it had AAA discount and preferred did not, it was actually cheaper, but it was really tight getting in. First, it was on the right side so DH had to back in blind which is not his favorite thing to do and the sites in the loop all site on really strange angles. Guess that is how they made them wider, but the site across from us was actually parallel to the road and entered from the side that went around the curve...it was very odd.

Actually liked the all cement pad though because there seemed to be fewer ants around (or maybe it was too hot for ants!).

400 is a dog loop, but there was never a problem with anyone's dogs. It was very quiet. We like being in this area because we can walk from Settlement bus to our camper instead of waiting on a bus to go to settlement.

My parents have a RV and it's the only way they travel.
Every year I try to convince them to come to Disney with us (we stay at one of the resorts and haven't checked out the campground yet- so I can't share any personal experiences there).
I'd love some advice so I can convince them to try out Fort Wilderness...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter