• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time Visiting In January - What to expect?

dekraut

Mouseketeer
Good evening all!

I've been to WDW many times in October in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid. Next trip was in May of 1996 for graduation present! [Thanks M&D!] We have always camped in our camper in Ft. Wilderness.

I have a family now and we took our first trip in late June of 2014, after schools were out, and camped in the Fort again. I had to learn about all the changes since '96 and the whole MDE part. We were expecting heat and crowds and we got plenty of both. The crowds/heat had beaten us down by early evening even with daily breaks at the camper. Our DS was great, but our DD was too young to stay up late and my wife was so disappointed that we didn't get to make the evening shows (fireworks, parades, etc.).

So, we are now planning a Jan 2016 trip, hoping to make it a great visit without crowds or heat, and I am as a loss as to what to expect. We are planning to arrive Sunday before MLK day, and spending that entire week in the parks. I realize that the MLK day will be busier, but the rest of the week should lighten up considerably.

What suggestions would you make for someone who is visiting in January for the first time? Do you change how you schedule FP+? Are ride lines going to be so much shorter that a strategy isn't really needed? I am hoping that we will be so amazed at the difference between June and January that we won't be able to wipe the smiles from our faces for weeks! The best part is that the evening activities are earlier so our DD will certainly be able to stay up to see them this trip. My wife and I are so excited!

In case it helps, we are driving from WV and staying in POFQ. This will also be our very first trip staying in a hotel/resort.

Any information or suggestions on what to expect for a January trip would be so helpful.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any help.

The Sunday and Monday of MLK weekend will be very busy, but things should calm down considerably for the rest of the week. We've been a few times in early January, and it is one of the lower attendance times at WDW. Park hours are shorter, but the reduced crowds enable you to see more in less time. I would still go with FP+ for the very popular rides. If it turns out that the lines are so short that you don't need them, so much the better. The weather is a real wild card. It can be comfortably warm in the 70's with mild evenings, or quite chilly with day time temps in the 50's and even lower at night. There's no way to know. It helps to check the weather forecast a few days before you leave. At that point, you'll be able to get a good feel for the general temperature trends for the week and if it is expected to be seasonably warm or unseasonably cold. That way, you can pack accordingly. One downside to January is that rides often go down for refurbishing, after the holiday crowds leave. The Disboards can keep you informed about scheduled refurbs so you can plan for them and not be disappointed to arrive and find a favorite ride closed.

We were there last January. We had a fabulous time but yes, you still need a strategy! The same advice you read for other times of the year still apply. Rope drop is your friend and you should still utilize FP during midday as lines will still be long. I think the main advice that we were able to ignore was the taking of an afternoon break. Park hours are short and weather is not energy sapping hot. We had a 5 year old, an 8 year old and an 11 year old, didn't take midday breaks and didn't have kids fizzle until park day #7. We were at the Dark side by that time. ;)

My advice would be to go in with a plan (which park, your first few rides, FP+s, and ADRs), hit rope drop for fabulous lines, expect midday crowds and a busy holiday on Monday, and be flexible with clothing options. :)

We are going in January 2016 also - around the same time. Last time was in 2009 for our oldest son's 4th birthday (he'll be 10 next month
). We are returning now taking both children, and it will be the first visit for our second child who will be 4. We are floridians so the weather will be familiar to us. We didn't use FP before - not sure if we will now. Also, the bands are new to us - what are they, do we need them if staying at a off-site hotel? Any other tips for a returning family would be fabulous!

We went last February (last week of feb). It was definitely more crowded than I expected especially on the weekends. There were msny foreign visitors, many families with preschoolers, and a fair amount of parents that obviously took their kids out of school (older kids). Crowds were definitely less than I r experienced in May, oct, easter, and thanksgiving. Be prepared with discounts on rooms in jan and feb it can get busy, especially on weekends.

My advice is to bring relatively warm jackets, hats, and gloves if you're going to be out in the evening. It might be very chilly waiting for the fireworks.

We've been a few times in January and like that time of year. With the exception of MLK Weekend, the crowds should be pretty light. Weather-wise, the thing to remember is that the temperatures can really whipsaw that time of year. It may be 80 one day, and in the high 40's (or worse) the next. The good news is that rain shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I second Geoff_M's advice to pack for a range of weather conditions. We've been in January/early Feb twice in the past 6 years, and one trip it was in the 30s overnight the first few nights, but the temps climbed up to nearly 80 by the end of our 12 nigh stay. It was cold enough back home that we'd worn thick sweaters and gloves to the airport on departure day, so at least we had more than just the jeans and long sleeve T's we'd packed to keep us warm. I don't think it rained at all on either of those trips.

We will be there arriving MLK day. I believe Splash Mountain is open this year (which is unusual)

We have been to WDW many times in January. The crowds aren't super low so don't expect it. The entire week you are there will have a lot of people who are staying for the week. The best weather we have gotten during that time in January has been lots of sun and highs in the low 70's. The worst weather we have gotten has been windy and cold with overnight lows in the thirties and highs that don't get above 50. Watch the weather forecasts just before you leave and plan for everything.

That being said we really like January. It tends to be about 40 or more degrees warmer than what we have at home. :)

Thanks to everyone for your tips and suggestions - I really appreciate it.

We have done some research on Orlando weather in January and are planning to pack thoughtfully before we leave.

Seems that January discounts historically come out in October, so we have our eyes on that as well. Thanks for that tip.

Thanks also for the confirmation about being able to fit more in due to lower crowd levels and the lack of "energy sapping" heat. (Best description ever!) This is exactly why we are trying our first trip this time of year.

Regarding evening shows - we are sure we want to hit Wishes and the Electric Light Parade, and our second evening choice is Fantasmic. Is trying to get a 4th FP+ going to be helpful for Fantasmic? It was recommended for summer visits, but I am not sure if (a) it will be needed and (b) if the advantage is worth trying to get it. I don't think we will want to use it as a top three, but maybe when those are burned we could try to pick it up.

Thanks again.

We have been to WDW many times in January. The crowds aren't super low so don't expect it.

I was going to say this too. Yes, I think the crowds are relatively low - for DisneyWorld, that is - but crowds are never really low.

That said, January has been our favorite time of the year to visit WDW! We loved the lower temps.

Is trying to get a 4th FP+ going to be helpful for Fantasmic? It was recommended for summer visits, but I am not sure if (a) it will be needed and (b) if the advantage is worth trying to get it. I don't think we will want to use it as a top three, but maybe when those are burned we could try to pick it up.
Fantasmic usually isn't as crowded in January as it is in the summer. We've never had a problem getting into the show in January, even when we walk in just minutes before it starts. But if it is convenient then I would try to get that fourth fp. It is usually available that time of year.

Great advice. We appreciate it. We are trying to figure out how to use our FP+ differently too, since the crowds will be less.

Last time we used them in the morning. I am thinking that we should use them more in the mid-day to mid-afternoon timeframe, since I am guessing we will have shorter lines in the morning (at least compared to June).

We are also figuring out if strategies should be different with park hopping, though we didn't do too much of that last trip.

I love the cold weather, so all the warnings about temps in the 40s and 50s sounds good, though I will make sure to pack heavy clothes for the kiddos.

Again many thanks for the help. We are so excited.

Fantasmic usually isn't as crowded in January as it is in the summer. We've never had a problem getting into the show in January, even when we walk in just minutes before it starts. But if it is convenient then I would try to get that fourth fp. It is usually available that time of year.
One time we saw Fantasmic on a very chilly January night and we shouted "No!" at Mickey as he put out the flames in the water because the heat felt so good!

Ha! Very funny to think about wanting a "campfire" in Orlando. All the times we have come down, we'd have paid for cold!

I haven't seen the show, so I don't know about the flames, but here's hoping we get a great night for the show!

Thanks

I agree with what everyone has posted. Jan 2012 was amazing - 70s everyday. I wore shorts and shirts most of the trip. Jan 2014 was cold - first half of trip was highs of 50 and lows of 30. End of trip was high of 80 and lows of 50. We were staying at a 1BR villa in 2014 so we didn't have to pack too much with the washer/dryer there. We tend to go very early in Jan and spend our evenings at the resort bc of the weather. It allows us to enjoy WDW outside the parks.

Agree with the others. The downsides of January are that it can be downright cold, little opportunity for swimming, park hours are shorter, daylight is shorter, and you have a higher risk of significant refurbs. The upsides of January are lowest crowds of the year (save for MLK weekend) and a high probability of free dining or room discount.

My biggest tip is to bring winter clothes. Seriously. We were there the week before Thanksgiving last year, and it was unseasonably cool that week - around what January norms are. Low 60s for a high I think it was. We had light fleece jackets and pants on but were freezing. We ended up layer hoodies under our jackets and wished we had gloves. The outdoor rides were particularly brutal. Just dress warmer than you think you may need to in FL, and remember that even though a high of 65 doesn't sound bad, it doesn't actually reach that until 1-2pm. Mornings and nights are in the 50s!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter