• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time trip to WDW and first Trip Report!

carriemn

Mouseketeer
Hi all!!!
We just got back from 7 glorious nights at WDW. It was all I had dreamed and more!!! I truly believe that is thanks to this wonderful board that helped me plan this trip - Thank you all so much!!!!!!

This will be a condensed version!

Cast - Me (37), DH (42) DS (15), DD (turned 5 on trip) and my Nephew (DN)
8/24-8/31
Stayed at Polynesian and on the Dining Plan

8/24- Flight left Mnpls, Mn at 8am- on time and arrived on time at 1pm. We took ME- No problems- HIGHLY recommend! We departed immediately and arrived at the Poly by 2:15- Checked and got our room immediately!

I had done Garden Grocer- my groceries were there and delivered immediately- Super slick!
We stayed in Tokeleau- LOVED IT! Gorgeous large rooms!!!
Our luggage arrived by 4:30pm.

We ate at Ohana's that night- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! That is all I can say. This was everyones Favorite Restaurant!

It started raining about 3pm and did not stop till after we went to bed :(

8/25
Epcot day- The TTC is w/in walking distance of the Poly- Walked there to catch the Monorail. Again- super slick!

We got there at RD and immediately rode Soarin' and got a FP for Soarin'. Road Nemo, Turtle Talk, Played in the water spray deal, rode The Land, watched Honey I shrunk the Audience, Re-did Soarin' - All by about 11:30!!!
We ate in England- Fish and Chips for lunch - YUMMY!!

Explored till about 1:00 in World and headed back to hotel to swim.

Dinner at Coral Reef! This was our 2nd favorite place to eat. The boys had the steak- it was very large and they said it was AWESOME. I had the shrimp pasta- very tasty.

It rained again this night for several hours :(

8/26
MGM day- Again arrived at RD.
Dh, DD and I saw Mermaid and the boys rode Starts and Sounds Dangerous.
Then we all did - Great Movie Ride, Muppet's, Lights Motor Action, Tower of Terror (with FP), Rockin' Roller Coaster (again with FP- we were able to have them for both at the same time because we have 5 tickets and DN and DD did not do TT and Dh and DS were only ones who wanted to to RRC). We saw the Parade- very good- All this by 4pm when we had Dinner at Sci Fi- Again good food (burgers and malts) and great atmosphere.
Then DD and I saw Beauty and Beast and the boys saw Indiana Jones.
It began down pouring again so we left- No Fantasmic! for us :( That is the one thing I wanted to do that we did not do :(

8/27- Dd's birthday- We got to Typhoon Lagoon by 8 and did all the water slides and tube rides a few times by 10- then did the Lazy River, the kids water area and the wave pool till around 1 and left. The kids LOVED this place.
We went to the Akerhouse at Epcot for the Princess Dinner. Dd LOVED LOVED LOVED the Princesses- Except- her favorite Jasmine was not there :( Everything I had read told me she would be. This was our least favorite place to eat- it was hard for the two teenagers to find something they liked.

After this we rode Maelstrom which we had gotten a FP for before dinner (since it is literally right next door) and then explored the Innovations Buildings.

8/28 Magic Kingdom
Got there at RP again- As we were waiting a CM asked me if I would do a survey- it allowed us in early so I said yes- We got the whole park almost to ourselves for about 20 minutes! No rides were open, but it was wonderful having this time to explore since this was our first trip and soak it all up without feeling like we had to rush to a ride- plus empty park makes for great pictures :)

So we rode in this order- Pooh, Peter Pan, Philharmagic, Saw Ariel as mermaid in Ariel's grotto, Carousel, Big Thunder Railroad, Road the train around the park, ate lunch and did Splash with FP- we were done by noon!!!!! Boys and Dh headed back to hotel, but dd and I went to meet Jasmine (a MUST DO for her) at 1:00 pm- We met Jasmine, Gennie and Aladdin!! We were first in line for the 1:00 meeting so we were back to the hotel by 1:30!!

We headed back to MK for the P&P Party - We got there at 3:30 and watched the end of the Dream with Mickey Stage show (can't remember the exact name)- very cool! Then we at the Crystal Palace- that was good too!

Before the Party started we did Buzz (twice), Monsters Inc and Pirates of the Caribbean - the park was dead because they closed at 7 for the Party.

The Party was lots of fun- the kids had fun finding all the treasure spots , we explored Swiss Family Tree House .

The Parade was incredible- and the fireworks indescribable. For a first timer- it truly brought tears to my eyes! Is that silly??

8/29- Animal Kingdom
Immediately rode EE (Ds and I) while the others got FP for Kali. We explored a couple of the trails and then did the Safari ride- very cool and ITTBAB and then Kali Rapids- Ate lunch and left.

This is a gorgeous park, but my family did not get into it- Maybe because it was day 6 and we were starting to burn out- or maybe because it was SUPER crowded- even though we were there at RD. This park seemed much hotter and more difficult to maneuver as well. This was a Yellow TG Mike day- due to evening magic hours- but I figured if we got there at RD it would be ok...
Anyways- we left this park by 1:00.

We had dinner this night at the 1900 Park Fair-- it was ok...

8/30
Ds, Dh and Dn went to Blizzard Beach. They did not like it nearly as much at TL.

Dd and I went to MK to ride IASW, Dumbo and we re-rode Peter Pan.

Then we went back and enjoyed the pools at the Poly for several hours.

We went to DTD, boys did Quest, I shopped and we had our last dinner at Wolf Gang Puck. Incredible food here! We were SOOOOO full after eating here -ugh!!!

Transportation to and from Poly was awesome EXCEPT for going to and coming back from DTD! We took a taxi coming back- $15. Not bad.

8/31- Depart :(

If you have any questions or comments- post away!

I am so excited after reading your trip report.:banana: We leave in 27 days for the Poly. :cool1: This is our 2nd trip. I am beside myself with excitement. :dance3: I am like a kid on christmas morning. Any pics of the Poly to share????

GREAT trip report! I love reading about first trips, and it sounds like your whole family enjoyed every second of it! Thanks for sharing!

I am so excited after reading your trip report.:banana: We leave in 27 days for the Poly. :cool1: This is our 2nd trip. I am beside myself with excitement. :dance3: I am like a kid on christmas morning. Any pics of the Poly to share????

Welp- I can not figure how to resize photos- I can upload to shutterfly and share the link... I'll do that and edit too add.

We loved the Poly!

Hi,

I just had to check out your trip report since we will be going to WDW for the first time in 20 days :woohoo: :yay:

I just got more excited(if that's even possible) ;) reading your trip report! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I can't wait to get there!

Any tips you have to pass along to another first-timer like myself?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hi,

I just had to check out your trip report since we will be going to WDW for the first time in 20 days :woohoo: :yay:

I just got more excited(if that's even possible) ;) reading your trip report! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I can't wait to get there!

Any tips you have to pass along to another first-timer like myself?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Definitely take afternoon breaks and definitely get there at rope drop. Those were the two tips I took with me and I believe they made all the difference. We got more done in the first 3 hours in the park than we could have gotten done all day without waiting in any lines!

GREAT trip report! Makes me want to go back NOW instead of February. We were there this past February and had a wonderful trip also. Being at RD sure makes getting a lot done easier doesn't it. My DS8 couldn't believe he was on vacation when I was getting him up so early but he wasn't complaining when we got to the park. I told him he had the drive home to catch up on sleep. We drove from Indiana. Isn't WDW wonderful!!!!! I'm so glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lynn

Definitely take afternoon breaks and definitely get there at rope drop. Those were the two tips I took with me and I believe they made all the difference. We got more done in the first 3 hours in the park than we could have gotten done all day without waiting in any lines!

:cool1: :cool1: We have afternoon breaks planned evreyday and we plan to be at the parks at rope drop! I'm glad to hear those things worked so well for you!

Thanks again! :goodvibes

I've enjoy reading your Trip Report and
Loved your Pictures!!
Those Shrimp at O'hanas look Good--
Were they as good as they looked? :)

I've enjoy reading your Trip Report and
Loved your Pictures!!
Those Shrimp at O'hanas look Good--
Were they as good as they looked? :)

They were delish!! It was all delish- as I said it was our favorite place. My dh, and the two boys were in heaven. And for my dd- she loved the singing and dancing!!

I really like the part about getting FP for Maelstrom. That is too funny. There was an old thread about FPs for Maelstrom and with never a line why do you need them. Guess you had to be there.

Like your pics.

I really like the part about getting FP for Maelstrom. That is too funny. There was an old thread about FPs for Maelstrom and with never a line why do you need them. Guess you had to be there.

Like your pics.

:lol
ya know- I wondered, but when we got out it was raining and there was a 15 min. wait for the ride, but we walked on and got out of the rain!

Your report is great.

Where did you meet Jasmine at? That is who my daughter wants to see and we are eating at Storybook just to see her. Thanks:goodvibes

Your report is great.

Where did you meet Jasmine at? That is who my daughter wants to see and we are eating at Storybook just to see her. Thanks:goodvibes

She is usually there...but wasn't the night we went. So, when we got to the MK i asked a CM right away to check where we could find her. She was in Adventureland by the Magic Carpet Ride at certain times throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter