First Time Traveling with an Infant

gcarney

Mouseketeer
Okay, I am a seasoned WDW traveler. Been there 8 times in the past 5 years but this is the first time with an infant. My husband and I are taking my step son, his girlfriend and their 10 month old daughter with us. I have never traveled with a baby.....I have no children of my own.

I am concerned about going though security with an baby in a stroller - how does that work? I heard we can bring closed bottles of water in the diaper bag only for formula, is that true - FYI we are flying out of Logan Airport in Boston, how does it work with the stroller, which also has a car seat for boarding the plane. I know we collapse the stroller but with the car seat a part of it, its big, and that concerns me....

Any tips of what to do and how to do it would be most appreciated!

Thank you in Advance!

Personally, this would be a great time for the premixed, ready to go formula. I haven't travelled with formula in a long time though.

As for the baby in the stroller. Well, you'll need to fold the stroller most likely. And then someone will walk through the detector with the baby. If you're lucky enough to be at an airport with the special line for parents with children, you won't even have to take off any shoes. Our last trip was amazingly easy because of that. We take our car seat with us as well, since it doesn't fit through the conveyor belt, they take it aside and do their thing. That also goes for the stroller. Just follow their directions and you will be fine.

Okay, I am a seasoned WDW traveler. Been there 8 times in the past 5 years but this is the first time with an infant. My husband and I are taking my step son, his girlfriend and their 10 month old daughter with us. I have never traveled with a baby.....I have no children of my own.

I am concerned about going though security with an baby in a stroller - how does that work? I heard we can bring closed bottles of water in the diaper bag only for formula, is that true - FYI we are flying out of Logan Airport in Boston, how does it work with the stroller, which also has a car seat for boarding the plane. I know we collapse the stroller but with the car seat a part of it, its big, and that concerns me....

Thank you in Advance!

We will be flying in January with a 1 month to 6 week old, so I am interested in hearing any tips as well. I am planning to check the car seat with luggage, so we won't have to tote that through the airport, and we will just hold her in our laps. We are planning to take the stroller to the gate, but will wear her in either an Ergo or wrap. I'm sure I can't go through security that way, but it will make it much more easy moving throughout the airport.

Not to hijack your post PP, but we are looking at either flying directly to Fort Myers and driving 30 minutes to sanibel, or flying into Orlando, and driving 3 1/2 hours to Sanibel. It is about $200 cheaper to fly into Orlando, but I'm not sure the extra travel time will be worth the savings. Any thoughts?

We will be flying in January with a 1 month to 6 week old, so I am interested in hearing any tips as well. I am planning to check the car seat with luggage, so we won't have to tote that through the airport, and we will just hold her in our laps. We are planning to take the stroller to the gate, but will wear her in either an Ergo or wrap. I'm sure I can't go through security that way, but it will make it much more easy moving throughout the airport. Not to hijack your post PP, but we are looking at either flying directly to Fort Myers and driving 30 minutes to sanibel, or flying into Orlando, and driving 3 1/2 hours to Sanibel. It is about $200 cheaper to fly into Orlando, but I'm not sure the extra travel time will be worth the savings. Any thoughts?

I remember reading somewhere to gate check your car seat. You don't want it getting damaged in the cargo hold by the baggage handlers.

Check your airline specifications for the size of stroller you are allowed to check at the gate. Also, check your airlines regulations in formula and baby food.

We are travelling in February with a 10 month old. We will have a city mini stroller which folds very small, also doing premixed formula for the flight, even though we usually use powder. I don't want to deal with having to get baby formula tested or whatever at security. I'll have the ergo as well for getting on and off the plane after they take the stroller at the gate. Most airlines allow an extra carry on for baby stuff.

We've travelled in hotels a couple of times with our baby, and I recommend bringing a crib sheet for any in room crib or pack n play. It makes me feel better to know she's sleeping on OUR sheets. We bring her regular blankets from home too. I plan on doing a garden grocer delivery for baby food, diapers etc so I don't have to pack it in her checked luggage. If your baby likes white noise or music for sleeping, you can download some free white noise apps. We put the noise on andut it under he pack n play until she's asleep. It works beautifully.

Thank you in Advance!

Did you check out the TSA website? They have very good information on traveling with a baby.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-children

You will not be allowed to take water through security, even if it is for formula. You can buy bottled water once you get past security.

If the baby is traveling as a lap baby (you didn't buy a seat), you don't take the car seat on the plane. You can gate check it with the stroller.

I know it can be a pain but in carryon have a complete change of clothes for everyone in the travel party including all adults is the one tip I have for traveling with infants and small children. I have a friend who had to open premade formula at TSA check for checking. I would use powdered and buy a bottle of water after check point

I've never had a problem taking water through for my kids, and not for formula. Baby food, milk, water, etc was all allowed as long as it's for the baby. They'll just open and test anything over 3 oz, just an air test so it doesn't contaminate anything.

opening and testing does not contaminate the formula but it now has to be kept cold where it does not need to be kept cold if not opened. depending on length of flight formula could be bad by time you land or need.

lost*in*cyberspace said:
Did you check out the TSA website? They have very good information on traveling with a baby.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-children

You will not be allowed to take water through security, even if it is for formula. You can buy bottled water once you get past security.

If the baby is traveling as a lap baby (you didn't buy a seat), you don't take the car seat on the plane. You can gate check it with the stroller.

Interesting. . I just took 2 bottles of water through security 5 days ago and plan to do it again in a few days. They just ran the closed bottles of water through a machine...no problem at all. I also did this numerous times with my older children but that was 5+ yrs ago. OP, I really think you'll have no problem getting bottled water through security with a baby.

I know it can be a pain but in carryon have a complete change of clothes for everyone in the travel party including all adults is the one tip I have for traveling with infants and small children. I have a friend who had to open premade formula at TSA check for checking. I would use powdered and buy a bottle of water after check point

I always pack a change of clothes and a bathing suit in the carry on.....great tip though :)

I haven't had to deal with the formula on a plane issue yet (though I likely will when we travel in January!), but we did fly with our first kid when he was 18 mo and 2.5. Going through security is a little more complicated but not bad. Unless you get a really impatient TSA agent, they're pretty understanding and will help explain the rules to you. You'll have to fold up the stroller. If it's small enough to go on the conveyor belt, it can. If not, they'll pull it aside and manually check it. Ditto the car seat if you don't check it earlier. Someone has to carry the baby through the detector--I believe you have to remove them from a carrier/sling too, though I'm not 100% certain about that. Whether or not you have to remove your shoes too depends on the airport and whether they have a special family line, but kids don't ever have to remove shoes. The agents will direct you on site. I strongly recommend having one person just be in charge of getting the baby through, and let one (or more) people be in charge of the stuff. It just simplifies the process and creates less anxiety for everyone.

And as someone else mentioned, it really is better not to check the seat with your luggage if possible. Handlers are very hard on stuff, and car seats can get damaged. Although I have heard people have success using a car seat bag, which offers more protection. Honestly checking at the gate is super simple and gives you more peace of mind. You know it won't get damaged or lost, which would be such a huge problem! When we flew, we just bought some bungee cords and strapped the seat to our rolling carry on to get it through the airport. Easy peasy.

Then when you board the plane, you can check the stroller and car seat if needed right there at the gate. You might consider using bungee cords to secure the folded stroller, as they can pop open when they're tossed into the plane. They're not gentle!

There are more logistics to consider, but in my experience a little advanced research should alleviate a lot of the anxiety about traveling with a baby. Good luck! :)

Check TSA guidelines. I forget now from when I traveled with my son. Not a huge deal really. I think I just brought some sealed premix to make it through the flight.

Really I wouldn't stress too much his mom will be use to at least getting her out of the stroller and if someone doesn't have patience for you oh well. Just plan plenty of time to not have to rush that makes all the difference. Gate check stroller and car seat too like said.

My big tip would be to bring medicine on the plane as well as the extra clothes. My son once got a bad fever on the plane and threw up on me. Fun times but hey it happens some with kids.

I am following this thread-Thanks for all the info. This will be my first time flying in over 14 years and the first time with an infant! Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter