first time to WDW with son with Cerebral Palsy

mczado518

Earning My Ears
this is our first family trip to disney and my husband hasn't been there in YEARS!!!! I need help making sure I have all my planning pretty much done...help!!!
I'm pretty much all packed, have our reservations made for meals, we have purchased our tickets. We will be there Monday March 11-Monday March 18. We are staying at Kidani villas at AK.
I guess what I'm worried about is getting the most of our experience. I hear ppl talking about rope drop and all that stuff at MK. My son has cerebral palsy so I'm wanting to get there as early as I can so he doesn't have to wait in lines too long. Any ideas?? Do they have a pass or something for children with disabilities?
Also....if we plan on being there at rope drop what do you think the best way to get the full experience is...like where should we start in the park? I've got maps lol I'm just not sure! haha

How severe is your DS's CP? Can he walk?

If he can...I would suggest getting a Guest Assistance Card. You can read more about them in the disabilities faq sticky on the thread. You can pick it up at guest services. Note, it is not a front of the line pass...often times you will be longer in line than the normal line...but usually offers seating and a little quieter area than the regular line. This works well for those who can not endure standing in lines for long periods of time.

If he can not walk...getting a stroller with a special tag to make it to a wheelchair, or if he already has his own adapted wheelchair obviously bring that. You will need to get this tag at guest services as well.

Most of all, I know you want to make the most out of the trip, and actually taking your time and doing what adaptations you know are necessary is the best way to go about it. If you cram in too much, everyone becomes grumpy, melt downs are inevitable, and it takes more time than if you had gone at a comfortable pace in the first place! Rope drop is a nice experience...but if you don't make it ...don't worry about it! There is plenty more magic in the parks at all times during the day that everyone will enjoy! Have fun! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the response. He can walk...but not for long periods of time. We are taking his adaptive stroller and planning on using that. So what is this tag thing we should look into? Also, how do i find out what time rope drop is?? is that just when the parks open? any info you can give me is greatly appreciated. thanks

Ok..you will need to get the stroller tag that says it is being used for a wheelchair. You can get this at guest relations..just ask a cm where to find it...it is usually located toward the front of the park. I would also suggest getting a Guest Assistance Card( same place to get this) in case you want to stow the stroller somewhere for a while and have him walk. The card allows you the same adaptations as the stroller with the pass will get you.

Rope drop is just at the beginning of park opening. IT is a little show they put on aboutm10 min. Before opening. You can see it here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=tqAmPMWTWh4

:thumbsup2

I moved this from the disABILITIES Community Board to the disABILITIES Board, which is more for trips.

You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature. Post 6 is about Guest Assistance Cards - thy are not disability passes - just cards that help communicate what assistance someone needs because of their disability.

One correction - even with a GAC, most lines do not provide a place to sit.

You will find a lot of helpful information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread - post one is an index to what information is in the restof the thread.

If he can...I would suggest getting a Guest Assistance Card. You can read more about them in the disabilities faq sticky on the thread. You can pick it up at guest services. Note, it is not a front of the line pass...often times you will be longer in line than the normal line...but usually offers seating and a little quieter area than the regular line. This works well for those who can not endure standing in lines for long periods of time.

I just wanted to comment on the above for realistic expectations...if he will need to sit while in lines, you will want to bring the stroller with you through the line. A GAC rarely can provide for seating in lines, WDW recommends a wheelchair/ECV/stroller for that need and that is the reason to get the stroller-as-wheelchair tag.

The FAQ sticky at the top of the disAbilities forum has a tremendous amount of good, up-to-date information for you. Rewardsinlife has given some good suggestions too about expectations and not trying to do everything. Starting the day early, using FastPasses and a touring plan will provide the most help with lines; but other than that there are no guaranteed ways to avoid lines or shorten waits. But with some planning you should have a good time without stressing yourself or your son too much. A GAC is need-based, not diagnosis-based, so when you go to Guest Relations just tell them about your son's needs (i.e., cannot walk for long periods of time). Mid-March is a fairly busy time of year so as long as you arrive prepared to deal with crowds you should be good.

Feel free to ask more specific questions after you check-out the FAQs. Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter