• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time to DL (at Christmas Time) Need Advice

sschneid

Earning My Ears
While we are seasoned WDW veterans, we have never been to DL/DCA and are going for the first time this December.:wizard:

We are staying at the VGC over christmas week and have 4 children between 4 and 9 including one with special needs.

I have looked through the Super thread andthe pictures certainly build excitement.
I am looking for some suggestions of the best strategies to experience the California parks at this peak time?:confused3
Are there "must do" attractions and or a best time of day/week to do them?
Are there suggested Dining reservations to be made?
Is the Disney Photopass worthwhile this time of year?

I have millions of questions and have just started planning. I am thankful for all and any advice.

Welcome to the left side of the board. :hippie:

Other comments below:

While we are seasoned WDW veterans, we have never been to DL/DCA and are going for the first time this December.:wizard:

We are staying at the VGC over christmas week and have 4 children between 4 and 9 including one with special needs.

I have looked through the Super thread andthe pictures certainly build excitement.

Christmas Superthread?

I am looking for some suggestions of the best strategies to experience the California parks at this peak time?:confused3

Read the links below, the sticky's at the top of the DLR page & all of HG's tip threads. Also reading trip reports can be helpful. :)

Tons of them. Be mindful of Aladdin's days off. Also DO NOT miss the 4-6 rides in FantasyLand that aren't at WDW.

Not as big a deal as WDW. Blue Bayou & maybe a character meal (or two) should be booked, but with others you don't need ressies until a week before (if at all).

Probably....but i'll let others answer.

I have millions of questions and have just started planning. I am thankful for all and any advice.

This is your starting point....the first two threads are essential reading for the WDW veteran:

HydroGuy's DLR for the WDW veteran tip thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Also, lots of good info for the WDW vet in Mary Jo's tip thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=802084

& KNOW THESE FP THREADS:

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132

"FastPass for Dummies and Smarties - A Photographic Explanation" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1186052

"Which Fast Pass First?" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1107718 (see my post #4 in that thread)

"Why I Park Hop" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1491961

If you have any Star Wars fans: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1478699

& read the rest of HG's tip threads as well.

You're staying on-site. So you'll get to enjoy MM each day offered. During crowded times, being productive the first 2-3 hours at DLR is MUCH more possible (& BENEFICIAL) than at WDW. & the time zone difference will work to your advantage. SO ABSOLUTELY DO MM each day offered.....& get to the parks EARLY EVERY DAY.

Read all the linked threads & come back with lots of questions. Have a great time planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

:)

I also agree with Hound's comments. DL gets a lot of locals, but they usually appear after lunch time. We went for Xmas in 07 and we found that if we went all the early entries or at opening we got a lot more done than the evening or night time. Hit Fantasyland first thing and get Peter Pan and Dumbo done first before the lines get long. Use FastPass for all the rides you want to do that have them. If you hit Fantasyland one day and finish, then on another day, I would hit New Orleans Square and hit Pirates and Haunted Mansion early also.

Hound 109 and Jackie B,
Thank you both for your suggestions and guidance... I will be checking out the threads and no doubt be back with more questions.

Thank you

Everything already mentioned. :)

Also, you'll want to watch the fireworks 'one' night from the retaining walls near It's A Small World. Reason why: you're already planning to get a spot ahead of time, so while you sit and wait you can enjoy the music and light show displayed on IASW's facade. It's REALLY pretty!

Then on another evening, plan on seeing the holiday fireworks again and castle lighting from main street or the hub. :)

Do you need a HA villa?

Otherwise, the VGC Owners Thread has room request recommendations :thumbsup2

Christmas week is very busy (or so I'm told, since I always avoid that week), but on the bright side all the shows (Fantasmic, fireworks, WOC) will run every night.

I'm so glad you've looked through the Christmas Superthread! Stay tuned to Page 1 of that thread (particularly, posts #1, #2 and #3), where I will add in any information specific to this year's holiday season, and feel free to jump in and ask questions there any time if you can't get answers anywhere else.

I think you must spend some time in the GCH lobby, soaking in the perfect holiday ambiance, listening to carolers, etc. IASW Holiday is a must. The Reindeer Round-Up is a gem. ToonTown, New Orleans Square, A Bug's Land, Frontierland, Adventureland, Critter Country and Main Street all have holiday decorations and/or music that ties in to the theme of their particular areas, so be sure to stroll around and take it all in.

Be sure to grab a gingerbread cookie with mouse ears or peppermint ice cream to snack on.

In post #3 of the Christmas Superthread, I have some info about holiday dining and food items. There are some restaurants listed as having special holiday meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas - those should definitely have advance reservations.

Welcome to the left side of the board. :hippie:

Other comments below:

This is your starting point....the first two threads are essential reading for the WDW veteran:

You're staying on-site. So you'll get to enjoy MM each day offered. During crowded times, being productive the first 2-3 hours at DLR is MUCH more possible (& BENEFICIAL) than at WDW. & the time zone difference will work to your advantage. SO ABSOLUTELY DO MM each day offered.....& get to the parks EARLY EVERY DAY.

Read all the linked threads & come back with lots of questions. Have a great time planning a visit to Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

:)

Hound 109 -

You were asking about the Christmas Time Superthread. This is the Disneyland at Christmas Superthread. It has been a time-consuming labor of love to put it together! The first 3 posts on page 1 are chock full o' info and are where I am posting any updates on this year's holiday season as we get them, and the rest of the the thread is filled with discussion, planning and photos. I've actually got listings/categories for holiday-related blogs and holiday-related Trip Reports, too, among many, many other subjects relating to the Christmas season at DLR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter