• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time tent campers next February

SpringSprite

Mouseketeer
We have booked a tent site for next Feb 18th - 25th for an anniversary trip - the kids are coming too! (8 and 6 at time of trip) We are new to camping but went for one night recently at a local campground and slept on the ground, the only thing I regretted.

We do have a queen inflatable mattress, just bought a smaller one for the kids, and have a Coleman 6 person tent with "sunroom" area. I'm sure that's not what it's called, but please forgive me, as I said I'm new to all this.

What I am looking for is ANY tips and tricks for our trip. We are driving down from NJ and I want to be prepared without making too much fuss. I am excited but nervous! We are definitely doing some "practice camping in our backyard

Veteran campers, what can you tell me about the fort, the weather, what essentials we should bring, etc....our last trip we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge so obviously this will be way different. But you can't beat the price! Can we request a site? Should we?

Any and all help appreciated!

(PS already rented a golf cart - is there parking near the boat launch to MK?)

Thanks!

The advice will be flowing strong soon! Have fun :)

We have been down every January for the past four years at Fort Wilderness. Some trips run into February. In my opinion, best time to visit is the last week in January and the first week in February. Crowds are so low!!! We have tent camped the past couple trips and I'm a super planner! We come down with everything short of the kitchen sink. Oh wait, we bring tubs for our kitchen sink!!! Air mattresses are a must in my opinion or cots. It really depends on how much time you spend at the site and how much time you spend cooking too on what you will need/not need. The weather is great for us. Cool most evenings and light jackets to lap blankets are needed for night time golf cart drives. The parks are perfect and you barley break a sweat. I much rather do cool than hot in the parks!!! We bring space heaters and electric blankets. Both needed about 1/2 the time for us. Some years cooler, some warmer.

If you search 2 tents, you will find a lengthy trip report I did back two trips ago. I have lots of pics of our site and our set up. Some might think it was overkill, but to us it was great!

I would link in post but I'm nine months pregnant and the thought of wabbling from my comfy chair to my desktop computer to find the link, just might be too much work!

Congrats on your booked trip! Your children will love it!!!

in post but I'm nine months pregnant and the thought of wabbling from my comfy chair to my desktop computer to find the link, just might be too much work!

Okay, been thinking of you. Answers my wondering! Good luck Melissa.

SpringSprite, be sure to take the time to read the trip report. The report is fabulous, with tons of great ideas, inventions, photos, and so much more. You will love the Forst and all it has to offer.

We did the tent camping thing last February. DH hates tent camping in the heat, so we thought we'd be good. We were, except for our week included the two days of winter in FL. 28 in FL is not like 28 at home. Or maybe it is and I am just a big baby! I thought we'd be fine, but we were very very cold for those days.

We took a space heater, and it kept the tent decently warm. Until it quit working midway through the coldest night.

We have a tall aero-bed type of mattress, with a synthetic mattress pad. We used microfiber (not cotton) sheets and an acrylic blanket. We also brought our down comforter. We packed all this in big space bags to save room and it worked like a charm. The bed stayed warm. The grown kids brought a standard low queen air mattress, and didn't bring extra bedding, just the sleeping bags. They were not as comfortable. Our teenaged son brought his 15 degree mummy bag and was perfectly fine. Our granddaughter slept in the bed with us.

I really can't stress how big a difference those microfiber sheets made. They didn't feel at all cold and clammy like cotton will in a tent. They stayed warm and smooth.

We took a collapsible rolling garment hanger from Ikea and hung two closet organizers from it, plus coats in the middle. It did a good job keeping six peoples' magic bands and other knick-knacks off the floor.

We also took the slow cooker to fix dinners. I pre-prepped and froze things at home, then packed the cooler with the frozen bags. I used the slow cooker bags to cut down on cleanup.

I'll see if I can find pictures of our home away from home that trip. Reminds me, of one last thing... I still have a hole in the ceiling of the tent. My granddaughter was eating a PBJ and had to go to the comfort station. DH put the sandwich on top of the makeshift closet. When we got back, the squirrels hat eaten their way into the tent to get at that that half-eaten sandwich. Do not, under any circumstances, underestimate those darned squirrels. They will make you pay for your lack of attention.

I am not a big fan of inflatable mattresses simply b/c mine always seem to loose air. I prefer camping mattresses b/c they seem to stay inflated.

I am not a big fan of inflatable mattresses simply b/c mine always seem to loose air.

Cabela's has a inflatable mattress with two pumps in it. One to air up the bed and then another, quieter pump that runs at night if the mattress needs more air. We are looking into that for our trip in Oct.

Cabela's has a inflatable mattress with two pumps in it. One to air up the bed and then another, quieter pump that runs at night if the mattress needs more air. We are looking into that for our trip in Oct.

Never heard of such a thing before, Vince, but that would take care of why I don't use an air mattress. What a clever idea somebody had.

Bama Ed

PS - I guess this is it on the Cabellas site. The Insta-Bed NeverFlat Air Bed - Queen for $175 http://www.cabelas.com/product/WENZ...egoryId=734095080&CQ_search=insta-bed&CQ_st=b

Wal-Mart on-line currently has it on sale for $80 with free shipping. http://www.walmart.com/ip/19515124?...44714912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78657644912&veh=sem

Last edited:
We recently tent camped back in the Fort at the end of April/beginning of May. We also have quite a bit of experience camping in cooler weather as we camp a lot in the Smoky Mtns in October. You will find many different styles of tents, sleeping arrangements, etc. here is what works well for us.

1. If it were me, I would ditch the inflatable air mattress and instead do self-inflating camping pads. On cold nights, they will keep you considerably warmer.
2. I would do sleeping bags instead of sheets/blankets. I would get them warm enough for the coldest night that you feel you might possibly have. We typically take 0 degree or 20 degree bags. We like the ones that can zip together to make it feel more like a "bed".
3. I brought a rack to hang clothes on ($10 at Dollar General) with a hanging collapsible shelf so that we weren't tripping on bags and suitcases all week. My husband was skeptical but decided it was handy by the end of the week.
4. I would be prepared to bring a heater or a fan, or both depending on what the weather was doing.
5. I brought a drying rack to hang pool towels, bath towels, etc.
6. A pop-up canopy over your picnic table can really come in handy on a rainy day, we wrapped Christmas lights around it and it helped with lighting at night.
7. A small rug outside your tent will keep the sand, etc out when you take your shoes off.
8. Decide before you leave how much you will actually cook at your campsite. We brought way too much stuff. My advice would be to plan which days you think you will eat at the campsite. Bring camp stove, propane, charcoal, cooler, utensils for what you will actually be cooking. I threw everything in bc we weren't for sure, but being a Disney there were so many eating places we wanted to try, etc. that we didn't use half of what we brought. There is a camp store where you can buy moderately priced goods. If I had it to do over again I would consider using Garden Grocer.
9. Make sure you bring towels both for the bath house and the pool.
10. Shower shoes and toiletries.
11. Extension cords
12. Headlamps are great for going to the bath house late at night, and inexpensive $5 at Walmart.
13. Consider bringing a tarp if your unsure how water tight your tent is.
14. Extra rope/stakes for securing tents and canopies

That's what I can think of right now! You will have a great time, we are actually planning on heading back to the Fort in January or February ourselves!!

We camp in a pop up rather than a tent so I can't find much practical tent advice but as far as bringing kids I have some tips. We love sidewalk chalk for down time at the camp site. We bring lots of dollar store glow sticks. I like buying some Mickey and Minnie paper plates and napkins from the party aisle at Walmart. It adds a touch of magic to meals at the camper. Instead of cooking, when we eat at the camper it is usually picnic foods (cheese and crackers, sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, tuna salad) I love saving money by eating some meals at the site but I don't want to spend Disney time cooking or cleaning up. It also makes it easier to save room for treats! Oh and don't forget lots of quarters for ice!

Headlamps are great for going to the bath house late at night, and inexpensive $5 at Walmart.
I agree that Headlamps are great, but just be cautious about buying the REAL cheap ones. I have one headlamp that I got as part of a bigger purchase (It was included with it) that wasn't worth a nickel. The brightness wasn't near as bright as a birthday candle on a cake. (A single candle) and the "Reflector" did NOTHING to focus the light. In fact I think it probably dispersed it more than it focused it. The "Free" flashlight I can get at Harbour Freight is 1000 times better than the other one I had. So my point here is try it out and if you have to spend a couple of dollars more for a good one, it will still be worth it.

Oh and don't forget lots of quarters for ice!
Or buy the ice from the Meadows. You can also get change at the meadows too if needed.

Although I haven't had to do it in a while, I like Freezing my water or other food we are taking (that is freezable food). When it's in the cooler, it keeps everything colder longer, takes up less space, and as it melts, you can then use it.

We brought our tent and camped at FW twice. Two must useful items, that didn't involve sleeping, were the canopy to go over the picnic table and a very large water jug. And be sure you have rope for making a clothesline....

We have booked a tent site for next Feb 18th - 25th for an anniversary trip - the kids are coming too! (8 and 6 at time of trip) We are new to camping but went for one night recently at a local campground and slept on the ground, the only thing I regretted.

We do have a queen inflatable mattress, just bought a smaller one for the kids, and have a Coleman 6 person tent with "sunroom" area. I'm sure that's not what it's called, but please forgive me, as I said I'm new to all this.

What I am looking for is ANY tips and tricks for our trip. We are driving down from NJ and I want to be prepared without making too much fuss. I am excited but nervous! We are definitely doing some "practice camping in our backyard

Veteran campers, what can you tell me about the fort, the weather, what essentials we should bring, etc....our last trip we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge so obviously this will be way different. But you can't beat the price! Can we request a site? Should we?

Any and all help appreciated!

(PS already rented a golf cart - is there parking near the boat launch to MK?)

Thanks!

1. Yes, there is golf cart parking near the boat launch.

2. Be sure to make Hoop Dee Doo Revue reservations. It's a great dinner show at the Fort.

3. Bring towels. The Fort's comfort station does not provide them. (That's the one thing I really wish they'd change: towel service would be so convenient.)

4. We camped there for a week in March last year, having flown in, so we packed very lightly (tent, air mattress, blankets, pillows, towels, flashlights- that was basically it). You'll get advice galore to bring tons of gear, but as beginning campers, you might want to err on the light side, to keep from getting overwhelmed. We only used our tent to sleep in, though. If you plan to hang out in your tent a lot & cook your own meals, you will need more gear.

Last edited:
4. We camped there for a week in March last year, having flown in, so we packed very lightly (tent, air mattress, blankets, pillows, towels, flashlights- that was basically it). You'll get advice galore to bring tons of gear, but as beginning campers, you might want to err on the light side, to keep from getting overwhelmed. We only used our tent to sleep in, though. If you plan to hang out in your tent a lot & cook your own meals, you will need more gear.

Good point to note. A lot of the suggestions depend on what your plans are at the campground. If it's merely a place to lay your head until your next excursion to the next park, then the camping "Gear" isn't as important. If, however, you are looking to immerse yourself/group into the camping experience, that brings on a whole other set of needs.

SpringSprite... I am so proud of you and hubby for breaking away from the hotel and expanding your kids lives to something they will relive over and over for many years to come. Like investing you have time on your side! No really, No BS. You are able to use sites like craiglist and offerup to get the gear the need. Check out REI sales. You also have time to take a few trips beyond the back yard. Schedule 1 trip at least as long as you are planning at WDW. Note what you need, huck the crap you didnt and always remember walmart is down the road! at least at WDW.

I have taken several trip mid feb- weather is hit or miss. can be cool or warm. so that will be a week before decision.

Ohh... BTW you are on the greatest site for advice.... take a few trips and get a feel for it. Also large rubbermade boxs make great tote carrier of the goods. (they also make great tent coffee tables) Food - I have gotten into the habit of precooking a number of meals ahead of time or at-least the messy parts. Say taco meat, just needing shells -lettuce for salads and tacos. Salsa for tacos, chips and salsa, Then you also have breakfast burritoes. 6 eggs, salsa, cheese and left over shells.... with any extra meat. Spaghetti sauce is another good one.

The trail end restaurant @ FW has some great take out, pizza and fried chicken.

As for gear that is whole other post- look at the car you are taking down and plan that way. knowing # of days and day in parks will help us advise you. Also how many ADR are you planning, if any?

There are a tables at the camp site so are chairs necessary? No. Having a light and an extension cord a good idea? Yes. Look at the sunrise/sunset tables. Maybe even a LED lantern works as well.

1 MUST- smores kits!!!! plan on spending at least one night the chip and dale movie night..

Buy glow stick on sale after halloween. Clearance section.
Get to know your local disney store... and the twice upon year sales. You can get gifts from Mickey/minnie / fav characters that were left for your kids in the morning.... not the $50 set of widgets... maybe the clearance dress for the BBB or Star Wars light saber, or the BOGO plush, autograph books, tee shirts...... Trust me its ALOT cheaper buying before, than when you get there.

What did mom and dad say.. practice makes perfect!!

how loud are the self inflating mattresses in the middle of the night?

mtnminnie,

I read the reviews for the links I provided above and folks said they were pretty quiet and slept right through them. That's why there is a second motor system (quiet, slow) versus the first motor system when you fill or empty it (loud, fast). I think it's actually a knob or setting based on how soft/firm you want the mattress to stay as to how often it comes on and does its job.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter