First time renting thru RCI-best off site villas for extended stay?

megs1313

DIS Veteran
We'll be staying onsite for a week and then two weeks offsite and then another week onsite. I need to find the best bang for my buck on the two off site weeks. party of 6, needing two bedrooms and renting through RCI, but I'm overwhelmed by the options! There's holiday inn orange lake, silver lake by exploria, summer bay, Sheraton vistana. The reviews and accommodations all seem pretty similar and I need to narrow it down. Any advice? TIA!

Assuming that Silver Lake by Exploria is the same as Silver Lake Resort on Black Lake Rd., it’s right around the corner from AK, and Sheraton Vistana Resort (different from Sheraton Vistana Villages) is a short drive from Epcot, DS and DHS. Those would be my top two picks, for location. I’ve stayed at all but Summer Bay.

We've stayed at all of the resorts you listed except for Orange Lake. As CarolyFH said above, Silver Lake and Sheraton Vistana have a slight advantage over the other two because of their proximity to the parks. Will you be visiting the parks during your offsite weeks? If not, this will be less of a consideration. If I had to choose from the four choices you list, I'd choose Sheraton Vistana. Have a great trip!

IMO, Sheraton Vistana is much nicer than Silver Lake, especially if you will be there two weeks. The amenities are definitely more of a resort feel and there are more options of pools and things to do. Orange Lake has lots to offer but the resort is very large and not walkable. Sheraton Vistana is spread out but you can walk everywhere within it.
If you book Sheraton Vistana through RCI, pay attention to the number that the listing sleeps. Some of the SVR condos have 2 doubles in the second room and some have 2 twins. Also, SVR lists two options in RCI. If you book, Sheraton Vistana Fountains, you know you will be in that part of the resort. If you book the other listing that doesn’t say “Fountains”, you could could be located in any other section.
There is an entire Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread in the Orlando Resort Reviews thread.

Last edited:
I own at both SVR and SL. SVR is a tier one resort. Lots of amenities and high end finishes. Silver Lake is a small step down; not as luxe but finishes are good and only basic amenities. Upkeep at both are very good. If you are looking for quiet and laid back, SL is a good choice. A bit more activity and better location then SVR is good. SL, SB and OL are all on the South side of Disney; not as good access to the 'dark side' parks if that is what you plan to do on your off weeks. We generally stay at SVR over SL when given the choice, although I have strung both together in the past.

Never stayed at SB or OL, but I do have a coworker who owns at OL. Location at OL is good (really right beside SL), but he thinks it has slipped some since HIVC took it over. After all, Holiday Inn doesn't have the cachet of the other big operators. SB is further out then all the others, in the 'wrong' direction. Don't know much about it, but Exploria doesn't have the best reputation. Note the Summer Bay is the Exploria run resort. Silver Lake is actually an independent resort not affiliated with any of the larger groups.

We'll be staying onsite for a week and then two weeks offsite and then another week onsite. I need to find the best bang for my buck on the two off site weeks. party of 6, needing two bedrooms and renting through RCI, but I'm overwhelmed by the options! There's holiday inn orange lake, silver lake by exploria, summer bay, Sheraton vistana. The reviews and accommodations all seem pretty similar and I need to narrow it down. Any advice? TIA!
Wyndham Bonnet Creek is my pick via RCI for location and amenities. I have stayed at Orange Lake and Vistana. I have not tried Silver Lake, which does have a great location near Animal Kingdom. I have not tried Summer Bay, either.

If I had to pick between Orange Lake and Vistana I would probably pick Vistana. Orange Lake is so spread out it can take a while to get out of there. Vistana is large, but you can walk places and you get to park next to your unit.

In the end, I don't think you'll go wrong with the places on your list.

If you are on the RCI website, definitely choose a “Gold Crown” resort. Those are the best. I own at Orange Lake West Village and I love it though it is quite spread out. I do not recommend the Orange Lake East Village. I agree with PPs on Sheraton Vistana and Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Summer Bay I would not stay at again. I did 8 years ago and it was ok but if you have choices between the others, go for one of those instead!

Check availability through Skyauction. They may have something at a better price than renting through RCI. I like Wyndham Bonnet Creek the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter