First Time Renting out points. Advice needed please.

Auntie Kelly

Mouseketeer
Hello,

My parents have some points they cannot use that expire in 2 months. I was going to try to the DISBoard rental forum using my login, but I'm not sure I can do that after reading the rules. Do you think it would be easier to have my dad join the DIS and make 10 posts so that he can post the rental or would be trying DVC Rentals (the sponsor) be a better way to go. I am not sure if anyone would want to rent the points, but I thought it was worth a shot. We have never rented our points before and it is pretty confusing.

Thanks

The posts needs to be spaced out over a period of time in order to use the boards,

We do not allow anyone but an owner to offer the points, Of course, there are paid options that could suit your needs,

The problem right now with brokers is they are overloaded with points, but it may be your best bet if meeting the guidelines or doing a paid version is not possiblr.

All you can do is call them to see if they can help.

Thank you this was helpful. If I am understanding correctly my dad could pay to use it without posting, correct? If so that is what we will most likely try to do. If we are able to rent them, great, if not it's not the end of the world. I figured this is would be better than a broker as it is a small amount with only 2 months available.

I have successfully rented through the DIS Boards before, and am a long-time occasional renter. There are a couple of DVC Facebook groups however that I’ve had great luck with over the past year when needing to rent points over a short period of time.

It’s really not that complicated, and as owners your parents will have full control of the points if something were to go wrong. Just be sure to draw up a simple contract, or at least an email stating in writing points are not refundable etc. Price competitively and you should be good to go. Good luck!

I think how quick you are able to rent them depends on what price point you're willing to list. If you're hoping to get rid of them quickly, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding interest if you rent in the $10 - $12 range.

As mentioned previously, you can look into various DVC Facebook groups too.

There's a helpful thread here with templates you can use for a contract.

I rented our points for the first time very recently. I did so on the boards here. I had 200 points that needed to be used within 7 months, and rented all of them within 48 hours at $14. With your timeframe of points that need to be used in 2 months, I would consider asking for less as has already been suggested. I also used one of the contract forms available in the previously noted thread. Even if he pays the fee, your father will have to meet the minimum post threshold to qualify for private messaging in order to follow the rules about private information in public posts.
Good luck!

I recently rented through David's. I posted my rentals in late Dec with points expiring March 1st and was able to get rid of all but 16 points. I took the advice of the folks at David's and rented a dedicated reservation - 2 studios at Aulani for two different weeks in Feb. We did have to drop our rental fee a bit but we were happy to get some cash for the points we aren't willing to use right now. David's made the process very easy.

I recently rented through David's. I posted my rentals in late Dec with points expiring March 1st and was able to get rid of all but 16 points. I took the advice of the folks at David's and rented a dedicated reservation - 2 studios at Aulani for two different weeks in Feb. We did have to drop our rental fee a bit but we were happy to get some cash for the points we aren't willing to use right now. David's made the process very easy.

This is a good bit of information. I've found a lot of places right now are not taking any additional confirmed reservations due to being overwhelmed by them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter