First time renter questions

100acrewoodsfan

Mouseketeer
I am looking into renting DVC points for the first time. I have a few questions about how it works. I've noticed some people are selling the points pp. Does that mean if I am traveling with my husband we both need to by points equal to the room we want or is it one set of points per room? So for a Boardwalk standard view studio would it be 65 for the room or 130 for both of us to stay there?

We are planning on traveling in Sept and are hoping for free dining. If we are renting points are we able to recieve that discount? Also if we were willing to pay the difference would we be able to upgrade to deluxe dining?

Thank you for all your help!
Have a Magical Day :wizard:

"Renting points" is a little bit of a misnomer. As a non-member, you can't do anything with points. What you're actually doing is paying a DVC member to make a reservation in your name with their points.

When you see a point cost on the charts....say, 12 per night for a VWL studio, that's the cost for the room, not per person. Kind of like when you make a cast reservation at a hotel and the rate is $150 a night. That's for the room, not per person.

Free dining is not available when making a reservation on points. That's a package available through Disney (not DVC) that requires you to purchase tickets and pay rack rate for the room.

You can get the dining plan at its regular price with a DVC reservation. No ticket purchase required. You'll need to purchase the dining plan for every person on your reservation, just tell the member you're renting from that you want to add the plan. Member Services will put it on your reservation, and you'll pay for it when you check in at the resort.

You can purchase any dining plan that you want to pay for. If you are flying your DVC owner will be the one that turns in your flight information. Make sure that they know this. There is more in renting than just booking a room. Once the room in booked, you will probably not be able to cancel. Make sure your plans are firm. Points work different than cash. Make sure your owner is going to be there if you have questions. Get a email address, contract and home address and phone number.

The "pp" you're seeing in their rental posts is "per point" not "per person". So, if they're renting points at $10 per point, and your reservation (according to the points charts) would require 100 points, you'll owe them $1,000 for making a reservation for you.

You should also read the "sticky" threads at the top of the DVC Rent/Trade board, starting with the "Read me first" thread.

I want to emphasize what's already been stated about making sure you understand the differences between renting a reservation from a DVC member and making a reservation through Disney. For example, members can lose the use of the points committed to a reservation if a renter cancels so most members will not refund any money if you have a change of plans or even a family emergency that prevents you from taking the trip. So read all you can before taking the plunge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter