First Time Preggo In WDW????

Heart82381

Mouseketeer
Hello. I just found out I am preggo and we leave for Disney on September 3rd. :yay: I am so happy we are expecting but worried I will have a horrible time in Disney World. Please give me ideas on what you have done in the past while preggo in the world. I am going with my DH and his parents. I know I will be able to ride a lot of rides still, but not my favs! Also, how can I pass the time while they are riding some of the rides I can't? Help! :confused3

Congratulations on your expected bundle of joy! While I have never been pregnant in Disney, I would think that you want to stay hydrated as much as possible. It is pretty hot that time of year and I know when I was pregnant, dehydration made my sickness worse. While waiting for the rest of your family to ride things you can't, take advantage of air conditioned gift shops. I also am a big fan of people watching...take some time to look at all of the people and children and imagine what it will be like when you take your little one to Disney in a few years! (And start making the list of "my child will never _____" so you can look back on it and laugh. :rotfl: )

I'm from Pgh. too and we are heading down on Sept. 2! Have a great time!

It really depends on how far along you are and how active you were prior to your pregnancy. If you are still early in your first trimester then you should be okay on a handful of the rides. Although I was never pregnant in Disney ( I was pregnant in Hawaii, Spain and London ) I had consults with a personal trainer who had me doing sit ups in my first trimester and I was running during both pregnancies.

I would stay away from the rides that could really jostle you around and if they have heavy precautions not to ride, then I wouldn't take the chance. Hopefully the crowds will be lighter and you won't have to wait too long for your family to ride. But it will be hot so make sure you drink a ton of water!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hi! Congratulations!:banana: I went to Disney both times I was pregnant, the first trip I was only a month along...it was hot and that was my major problem...I was tired and unfortunately I was getting sick a lot :sick: but I did go on almost every ride. I did check with my dr. and she said just be careful...I didn't do the major "mountains" but I did everything else. The second time I went I was 6 months along and I didn't do as much, but we had a 3 year old so he couldn't do the big rides either. A CM actually stopped before going into Pirates of the Caribean and asked if I thought I should ride it :confused: I was like YUP, let me in!!! lol As for what to do...I'm a shopper, so I went to the nearest store, and then got a drink or goody, and then found a shady area to wait for my DH. It really worked out fine. Have a safe and wonderful trip!!

At this very early stage, the baby is very well protected. Ask your doctor what kind of rides you should avoid. There shouldn't be many - I would avoid Dinosaur and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad because they tend to be rough rides.
Anoter factor might be motion-sickness. At this stage your stomach might get a bit iffy, so bring some crackers with you every day.
Get plenty of rest - I know, it's Disney! It will be very hot so you may want to find an air-conditioned place to sit down and have a drink while your family rides things you are skipping. Take a nap in Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, the American Adventure, Ellen's Energy, well, you get the idea.
And congrats! I've got a couple of names for you: Mickey if it's a boy, and Minnie if it's a girl...:laughing:

Congrants! I went to MK last year when I was about 4 months preggo. I rode everything except the Mountains and still had a blast. When my DH and Sis-in-law left me to go ride Thunder Mountain I went and had a frozen yogurt popcicle and people watched. Drink lots of water and if you feel yourself getting tired head to one of the attractions where you're seat in A/C. :)

Haven't been pregnant at Disney either but I didn't change a darn thing (except the clothes I wore) with my two pregnancies. Rode my horse right up to delivery, carried my first around on my hip, dug up shrubs, painted, hauled sheetrock, climbed ladders, etc. It really just depends on how you feel. Listen to your body.

Thanks for your feedback. I will almost be 7 weeks when i am there so I am still very early. I am active and work out a few days a week so the walking should not be a problem at all. I am going to stay away from any roller coasters, TOT and Dinosaur. I will be sure to stay hydrated and will be glad to get to "shop" around more than I normally do. ;) My hubby may not be happy when he gets the final bill though! :rotfl: I will also be able to induldge in a few extra favorite sweet treets since there is no alcohol for me on this trip. Thanks for your help!:cutie:

CONGRATS!!!! :cloud9:

I did WDW during 2 out of my 3 pregnancies. Once I was early on (like you), and once I was about 6 months along. I didn't do any ride that said pregnant women should not ride. I actually enjoyed the alone time when the others went on rides I couldn't go on. I people watched, strolled through gift shops, etc. Drink LOTS of water!!! :)

Congrats!

What you can do and how you feel will really depend on how your body handles being preggo. I went when I was about 12-13 weeks with my first and I had no clue I was even pregnant. Rode anything and everything and never felt different. Did start feeling the effect of back-to-back RnR and ToT rides after about the sixth trip through. :) Of course when I got home and found out I was preggo I had a mild panic attack thinking I had harmed the baby. My OB assured me that at that stage the baby is very well protected and the chances that I would have caused lifelong problems due to riding ToT were slim to none. When he was born he was perfectly healthy and is a great kid.

I'd say that this early on in the pregnancy you'll be fine unless you are dealing with morning/all-day sickness. Drink plenty of fluids and just listen to your body. Take note of the warning signs at the various rides and use common sense and do what you are comfortable with.

Congratulations!

At this point and time, I wouldn't worry about too much besides morning sickness, if you get it. We go every year, so I've been pregnant multiple times--next month will be my 4th time pregnant (at the beginning of my 6th month). It really is no worse at WDW than it will be at home.

HERE is an article filled with hints. I know All Ears has some too.

It turns out I will be 19 weeks preggo on our upcoming trip. People love to give their opinions so I am hearing well what are you going to be able to do there anyway.

I tell them pretty much everything I would have anyway! I know the rides I can't do and am not heartbroken that I cant do them. I am really looking forward to this last trip alone with hubby before the baby comes. And if we don't do much but spend time together, thats ok too.

I have done WDW twice while pregnant ~ once I was 6 weeks and once I was 8 months.

I did pretty much everything except the obvious! When I was 8 months I also had an 18 month old with me so that prevented the big things anyway! Drink a lot and take advantage of the mother child areas at each park to get a quiet rest in. :)

You can still have lots of fun!

Congrats!

When I found out I was expecting, we were going to Vegas a few weeks later. This early you may just be really, really tired. Just set expectations that you may need to nap or relax a little. The day I left for Vegas I was about 7 weeks, was at work earlier in the day and was so tired I went into an empty office and took a nap for an hour (yes, I pulled a George Costanza!).

You may also feel some nausea, I remember I couldn't look at shrimp or anything with ground beef like burgers and meatballs! While certian rides are totally safe, you may just feel some motion sickness!

Congrats!!! I will be going to Disney in December, and it will be my first pregnancy and I will be about 5 months. I am nervous about this as well, but I really want to try and enjoy my last trip before the baby is born. My husband is not really happy to ride alone, but I think there will still be lots of stuff for us to do together. I never though to mention it to my OB, but I guess I should do that next time. Any more advice would help....Thanks!

I plan on just listening to my body and drinking alot of water.I had alot of morning/all day sickness around 7 weeks so I would just take it easy if you need too.I am going to do all the mild stuff-I don't do the big rides anyway and have prepared my dd for alot of pool time because I know the heat will be a factor for me.It is going to be a different trip for us-alittle more laid back and lazy but I think it will still be fun and it is going to be our last time as a family of three and next trip we will have a pirate with us!

We go to WDW at least once a year ( we were going 2-3 times..lol), so i have been there pregnant quite a few times. I have gone in early pregnancy, like you, and later like 8 months...I will be there this Saturday and i am 16 weeks pg with #4!!
Everything that the PP's have said is great..i would ask your doc what they feel comfortable letting you ride, then use your own judgment. I never rode anything big while PG..but did anything without a height restriction, Pirates of the Caribbean (crazy but not sure if that says anything abot riding while pg..we just always go on.lol) even Kilamanjaro safari, just ask to sit in the front..the back is sooo bumpy.
Take some time out during the day to sit and relax with your feet up and drink a ton of water. About 7 -8 weeks was when my morning (well all day sickness) kicked in..i would suggest bringing crackers or cookies with you so you always have something on hand. Don't wait too long between meals to eat. Congrats and have a great time!!!

I went when I was 3 months pregnant, and I rode everything except the mountains, aerosmith, tower of terror, and anything extreme. I did ride kali river rapids, kilimanjaro safaris, and pirates of the caribbean. Do sit in front on the safari, because it is bumpy in the back. Have fun!

I told my DH that if I'm pregnant at Disney, we're getting the Deluxe Dining Plan!

I suppose it might be too late for you to add it at this point, but I would love spending a trip trying the more expensive restaurants, since I would not be able to ride the grander rides.
Also, if DH wanted to go on a non-preggo friendly ride, I could grab a snack while I waited.

All the other suggestions I have, other have already made.

You'll get a really wide range of advice, so the best thing to do is talk to your doctor. Mine cautioned me against a few specific rides that generate high g-forces (Mission Space: Orange, Rock & Roller Coaster) but otherwise gave me the green light to enjoy the trip as I normally would, and I did just that. I rode everything I'd ride un-pregnant except the two mentioned above, Tower of Terror, and the Tea Cups (because I wasn't feeling up to the latter two).

Other doctors might advise staying away from nearly all rides, however, because of the slim risk of unpredictable stops/jerks in the event of ride malfunction, and then there's a whole range in between.

The only absolutes, I think, are the common-sense things like make sure you stay well hydrated, listen to your body and don't keep pushing if you're overheated or exhausted, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter