• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time going to WDW with 6 month old infant...info. needed!!!

tbird89

Mouseketeer
DW and I have been to The World many times, but this is our first with a six month old infant boy. We will be there Sept. 22-27. WE JUST NEED INFO THROWN AT US!!! Do's and dont's at the airport (liquids, baby formula, etc.); which rides/attractions are we allowed to take our child on; tips, tricks, and any other helpful miscellaneous information you want to share. JUST PILE IT ON!!!!!!!:thanks: in advance!!!

My sister in-law just brought her 8 month old son on our little trip. We were there July 13-16 and stayed at POP century. It was definetly hot, but really everything went great.
I would suggest requesting a room on the bottom floor and close to the lobby/or bus stop. (if you haven't already). You can also ask for a crib and a refrigerator if your room doesn't already have one.

My SIL brought her own stroller and we never had any problems with it. We even left things hanging on it and nothing was taken.:goodvibes One note: CMs often move stroller to a different location while you are on a ride.

If you do want to ride rides he can't, I would suggest baby-swap. It was so easy, just tell the CM at the entrance you would like to do that.

The rides/attractions he rode/saw (or at least that I can remember) were IASW, Mickey's Philharmagic, PotC, Great Movie, Fantasmic, Wishes, Spectro, Backlot Tour, Little Mermaid. I am sure there are other to do, that's just what we did.

The first day he went all day, from 7am to 11pm. He just napped in the stroller and we made sure to see air-conditioned attractions. SIL was still breastfeeding primarily, but she had juice bottles. The first night he had a bad night, so the second day she stayed in with him til about 11am, then we took a break in the afternoon.

We did some character meals and after getting over the whole "what the heck is that big dog looking thing" reaction, he did interact with the characters.

He was great on the plane (2-hour flight), we just gave him stuff to play with the whole time. Because she is breast feeding she didn't need to bring much on the plane, but I do know they make an exception on the liquid rule for baby stuff.

That's reallly all I can remember. It was a really great trip and he had very little problems. I think he had a bad night because it was hot and we went all day without a break. So a break is what I would recommend. If not taking one back at the hotel, then really find a place to sit and do nothing for a while.

Good luck!!!

Our grandson was 6 mos old when we went to DW last year. My daughter did a order with the garden grocer (gardengrocer.com) for diapers, milk, baby food, formula, water, shampoo, etc. It was delivered right to our room shortly after we checked in. This saved bringing all this with us.

Depending on the length of your flight have lots of new little toys to keep him amused. Bring your own stroller for the airport and the parks. A stroller with space on the bottom for the diaper bag and slots for drinks. A blanket for cooler nights in the parks and to use as a sun shield when he naps.

We took our DGrD at 5 mos and had a wonderful trip! We took our own reclining stroller (a Mac - wish they'd had these when my kids were little)- don't forget a rain cover (we put the cover down whenever we left it in the open - sometimes you get a downpour while you're in an attraction and come out to find a soaking wet stroller). We also bought a RayShade http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...origkw=RayShade&kw=rayshade&parentPage=search and loved using it to create extra shade - and we could pull it all the way down to cover her while she was napping. We tie brightly colored silk scarves to our handles so we can easily spot it in the sea of strollers. And remember that you will have to take everything out of the bottom of the stroller to collapse it and get on the bus - good to have some kind of bag.
Make sure you know where the baby care centers are in each park - they are a great place to cool off, feed the baby in a rocker, or pick up any emergency supplies (diapers, bottles, etc) if you should forget them (which we did one morning). We also took a Baby Bjorn carrier that we used on rides like Small World and just to get her up and out of the stroller - also great for taking pics with the characters - gets them up close, front and center. We had no problem getting 1/2 cups of hot water from the carts or counter service places to warm her bottles in - CMs were very helpful. There were also several restaurants that had the infant seats which reclined a bit if your little one is not yet sitting upright in a regular highchair. Have a wonderful time - we thought it was a great age to take her - she loved everything and it was much easier for us than when she started walking/running away;) !

Totally take advantage of the baby centers. Nice big changing tables, highchairs, microwaves, private bathrooms, and a little store area if you need diapers, wipes, paste, etc.

We are going to WDW 9/19-9/28 with our 6 mo. old son also. I have gone when my other sons were little and the baby stations are really nice(they have what you forgot-oops). Also bringing a stroller is easy-gate check if you are flying. Don't bring a huge stroller-go as small as you can. Babies can go on a lot of rides-anything without a height limit. I am bringing my snugli, which works great for rides. Just have fun-he will probably sleep a lot in the stroller. I am shopping for a stroller bag and a stroller cover right now. You really need the rain cover-its rains most every day for a short period. You will have a great time:woohoo:

We'll be at ASSports 9/22-9/30 with a 25 month old and a 3 month old, as well as 4 grandparents!!! I was so nervous about it that we almost didn't book it, but now that it's almost here I'm so glad we did. Thankfully, free dining was too good of a deal to not book it! I'm more concerned about our 2 year old than the baby, as she needs to stick to her routines more. For the baby, I'm mostly concerned about the sun (too young for sunscreen), and keeping her hydrated (I'm nursing, she has yet to accept a bottle). We're planning on going back to the hotel for naptime, and to get out of the heat, almost every afternoon. And I have planned which nights we'll stay for fireworks, so that we aren't doing 2 late nights in a row. I know I can push the kids' sleep schedules, but not every nap and every bedtime. We plan on using Baby Swap a lot, too.

I think the key is to be flexible (difficult with ADRs!). But I think it will be a fantastic trip, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :yay:

We'll be at ASSports 9/22-9/30 with a 25 month old and a 3 month old, as well as 4 grandparents!!!

We'll be at ASSports as well. These are all great tips. Keep them coming!!! By the way, have any of you ever had anything taken/stolen from your stroller while being on a ride? Thanks again!!!

You will have a great trip with baby! Here are some ideas:

* individual serving sizes of formula - come in foil tubes -- are great for whipping up a bottle at the park.

* don't forget swim diapers

* a baby carrier -- sling, snugli, etc.- are a must-have for lines and rides

* you can bring a cooler bag in the parks - great for bottles, water, juice, etc. Playtex makes a bottle w/disposable liners -- then you just have to keep the nipples/ring clean. Otherwise bring a bottle brush and dish soap.

* you can buy water after you go through security

* ship a box of supplies (diapers, swim dipes, formula, etc) to yourself at your resort or place an order w/an online grocery company (we like gardengrocer.com too)

* bring one of those foam bear bath things to sit baby on while bathing -- wring out and use for next time and then discard at the end of your trip.

* beware, many shows and rides are very loud, but baby can actually do quite a lot so you all will have a ton of fun!

To the OP, please, please, please post your experiences or PM me with them! I posted the same question on the family board months ago (long before our little man was born, being the obsessive preplanner I am:rolleyes1) as we will be traveling with our guy who will be 6 months in Dec.

Here is a link to my post....at the very bottom of post #14 is a link to a great thread that has tons of baby tips in it. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you if you remember! :goodvibes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1382513

To the OP, please, please, please post your experiences or PM me with them! I posted the same question on the family board months ago (long before our little man was born, being the obsessive preplanner I am:rolleyes1) as we will be traveling with our guy who will be 6 months in Dec.

Here is a link to my post....at the very bottom of post #14 is a link to a great thread that has tons of baby tips in it. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you if you remember! :goodvibes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1382513

GOT IT!!!:thumbsup2

We went in January with my then 4 month old son. The best thing I bought were Peltor Ear Defendors. Because babies are so sensitive to noise these were amazing! They were worked great for Fireworks and Attractions. My sons slept through Fantasmic and most rides. I'd attach a picture of what they look like but I can't figure out how!! If you email me your address I'll send a picture.

I found a link from someone on Ebay selling them. Item Number 270161026226

To make up formula for the baby bottles. Otherwise FL to my kiddos and myself tastes a bit "funky." :rolleyes:

A change of clothes.

And kiddos get hot in the stroller down low by eveyones legs and the pavement.

A weird tip - -the seagulls there will steal any frenchfry you have - careful if you have anything like that on the baby's stroller tray....lol...

And we've never lost anything out of our stroller or the stroller itself. But bring a backpack for your items and keep it with you. And remember that the CM move the strollers to diff locations when you're on the ride, and don't panic when it's in a new location....lol....

Peltor Kids Ear Defender in either Green or Pink Ebay Item number #200120981927 They cost about $20-30.. This is the person that I bought mine from...

100_3340.jpg

We went with my 6 mo niece in June, and she loved it. She was in awe of everything. Now for the tips:

We did an order from wegoshop for diapers, formula, and nursery water. We had her pick the stuff up from walmart (you can specify) to make sure we got the best prices. The best thing you can have, IMO, is a formula dispenser. You can premeasure the formula into three different compartments, then take the dry formula with you. Then you don't have to worry about the time limit on the bottles, just take your bottles with the water and mix the bottle when you need it. We got one at Walmart for about $3, and I've seen them online for about the same price.

Take your stroller right up to the gate with you. They don't treat it as a piece of luggage if you do that, it's considered a mobility aid. They check it right at the gate, and have it waiting when you get off the plane.

Go at your son's pace, and everything will be fine. Take a break when he needs one, and everyone will have fun.

We made good use of the Baby Centres at each park we visited. They are usually located close to the front gates at each park. I was breastfeeding my son at the time and it was nice to have a place to go that was quiet and relax with him for a bit. Even if you aren't breastfeeding it's still a nice place to take a time out. Also if you forget any supplies they have everything you need there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter