First time going to DLP, I need your help!

*I'msoooBelle*

Mouseketeer
Hello there!
WDW veteran here asking for advice.
  • What are the main differences from WDW and DLP?
  • What are the must-do rides? I'll have two pre-teen kids with me.
  • How is the Jedi Training sign-up process?
  • How does the FastPasses work?
  • Do they have MagicBands?
  • Is there an equivalent app to MDE for DLP?
  • Planning on staying off-site, is the parking situation similar than in WDW?
I'll be eternally grateful to you kind souls for giving me as much guidance as you can offer. :thanks:

Hello there!
WDW veteran here asking for advice.
  • What are the main differences from WDW and DLP?
  • What are the must-do rides? I'll have two pre-teen kids with me.
  • How is the Jedi Training sign-up process?
  • How does the FastPasses work?
  • Do they have MagicBands?
  • Is there an equivalent app to MDE for DLP?
  • Planning on staying off-site, is the parking situation similar than in WDW?
I'll be eternally grateful to you kind souls for giving me as much guidance as you can offer. :thanks:

I can't comment on all questions since I don't know the answers to all but this I do know:
1. They used to have a different Tomorrowland (called Discoveryland here). It still looks different but most unique attractions have been gone now. I have heard from some Americans visiting the park that the Big Thunder Mountain at DLP is the best version, is on an island (same goes for the old version of Space Mountain but that is gone now). There is a Indiana Jones themed Rollercoaster but it is nothing special. Our Pirates of the Carribean used to be the only version that didn't have the new characters in but they are refurbishing it at the moment to put them in so that is gone too. Adventure isle may be kinda different but it is nothing special.
The big differences are in Studios (which is very small by the way): Crush Coaster and Ratatouille are unique (but also have long waiting lines!). Also Mickey and the Magician (a show next to the entrance building) should be really great (haven't seen it yet).
2. Definitely Ratatouille and Crush Coaster
4. I think it is about the same as the old system at WDW; go to the attraction, put your ticket in the machine, get a fastpass and use it on the time that is printed on the fastpass. After you have used your fastpass you can get a new one.
5. Sadly not
7. The parking situation is a bit better I believe in that you can park fairly close to the parks. Only thing is that it costs 20 euros a day and the route from the parking lot to the parks is filled with aggressive salespeople. Some try to sell tickets and follow you: just say you have an annual pass and they will go away.
Because of that parking fee you might be cheaper to go with a partner hotel; often the price difference is about 15 to 20 a night compared to a cheaper alternative farther from the park but you get a free shuttle to the parks so it is actually cheaper.

The difference:
Disney hotel: Tickets are included in the price (including the arrival and departure day), parking is free at the hotel which are all in walking distance of the parks.
Partner hotel: Close to the park, about 10-15 minutes with a bus, free parking at the hotel, free shuttle to the parks. Don't have tickets included.
Normal hotel: Further from the parks, no free shuttle, not always free parking

I'm going at the end of March, will be staying in Seqoia Lodge but have booked a first night at a partner hotel (B&B; about the cheapest and most basic you can get at the partner hotels) and am paying about 50 euros a night for a three bed room. The cheapest alternative was 35 euros but then I had to drive on a toll road and pay for parking so it was an easy choice.

Last edited:
I've posted something like this a few times on the boards before. I hope it helps (just copied and pasted from a previous post):

In the Studios, make sure to get on Ratatouille and Crush's Coaster. Those are two of the best rides in any Disney park, in my opinion (well, of the 2 US parks and DLP). I would actually start in the Studios because Crush's Coaster doesn't have a fastpass and the line gets long. Then you can hit Ratatouille also hopefully without a line (it does have fastpass though) and do any of the other things you might want to do in the Studios before heading over to Disneyland Park.

In Disneyland, I recommend Indiana Jones, Pirates, Small World (it's my favorite Small World), Phantom Manor, Big Thunder (was closed when I went but I've heard it's great), and any of the other dark rides you can get done. They are different enough from the US versions that it's worth it. Go under the castle and see the dragon - very cool and unique to DLP.

You don't need to do Buzz, Teacups, Orbitron, Tower of Terror. Those are exactly the same.

Is Disney Dreams still running? Definitely see that if it is. The parade is okay I think - nothing spectacular and the music is kind of repetitive. Since you only have one day I wouldn't waste time with a sit down meal. Just grab some counter service.

Fastpasses are legacy paper fast passes. They do not have magic bands.

Hello!

If you're staying offsite, I recommend staying in one of the partner hotels (you can find the full list in the Disneyland Paris website, they list their own hotels first, followed by the partner ones). They're cheaper, you can still get a package with the park tickets (and maybe breakfast), and they all have big (free) car parks and a shuttle bus to the parks. Otherwise you can park in the Disneyland carpark (20 euros), or the Disney Village (you pay by the hour, maximum is 24 EUR per day). The Disney Village one is actually much closer to the parks entrances.

When are you thinking of going?

The 25th anniversary celebrations are starting end of March: new parade, new shows, and new night show. If the new night show (with projections and special effects on the Castle) is anything like the current Dreams!, it will be unmissable. Every evening at park closing :)

Other unmissable rides are Ratatouille and Crush in WDS (as mentioned above, both with very long lines, so try to get into the park early, around 9:30 even if the official opening time is 10:00). If it's on, don't miss Mickey and the Magician (show in the Animagique Theatre in WDS). And maybe it's a bit old but I still love Cinemagique, also in WDS, also unique to Paris.

Back in Disneyland Park, Big Thunder Mountain is a must. Fastpass is available, but you need to get in early to get one. If you can, do it once during daytime and once at night time... Absolutely amazing at night!

Other great rides are Phantom Manor, Pirates (it's now closed until the summer for refurb), Buzz (someone told me that it's better than at WDW because you can move the guns more?). If the park gets very busy, you can go and explore Adventure Isle, or go around Alice's labyrinth. Don't miss the Gallery in the first floor of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, or the dragon beneath it!!

Think a bit in advance about meals... If you want a character meal, you must book it in advance. There are plenty of fast food places around (again, depending on when you're going, you'll find some of them closed), it's better to go for an early lunch (11:30 - 12:00) to avoid the crowds. There's a few buffets (again better to book them in advance) and some really nice (but expensive) table restaurants. You can see all menus (and prices) in the Disneyland Paris website.

There are a few apps for DLP. The official one from Disneyland Paris is not bad, you get a map, waiting times, and some basic info about rides and restaurants. I also have MagiPark, it only has the wait times (but in a much more concise way, easier to see), and you can make a list of your favourite rides to only see those times.

Hope this helps a bit! Have a great time :)

Thank you, thank you!! We'll only have 1 day to spend there, would it make sense just to go to Disneyland or do a park hopper for both parks? What is your suggested touring plan for both options?

Hello!

If you're staying offsite, I recommend staying in one of the partner hotels (you can find the full list in the Disneyland Paris website, they list their own hotels first, followed by the partner ones). They're cheaper, you can still get a package with the park tickets (and maybe breakfast), and they all have big (free) car parks and a shuttle bus to the parks. Otherwise you can park in the Disneyland carpark (20 euros), or the Disney Village (you pay by the hour, maximum is 24 EUR per day). The Disney Village one is actually much closer to the parks entrances.

When are you thinking of going?

The 25th anniversary celebrations are starting end of March: new parade, new shows, and new night show. If the new night show (with projections and special effects on the Castle) is anything like the current Dreams!, it will be unmissable. Every evening at park closing :)

Other unmissable rides are Ratatouille and Crush in WDS (as mentioned above, both with very long lines, so try to get into the park early, around 9:30 even if the official opening time is 10:00). If it's on, don't miss Mickey and the Magician (show in the Animagique Theatre in WDS). And maybe it's a bit old but I still love Cinemagique, also in WDS, also unique to Paris.

Back in Disneyland Park, Big Thunder Mountain is a must. Fastpass is available, but you need to get in early to get one. If you can, do it once during daytime and once at night time... Absolutely amazing at night!

Other great rides are Phantom Manor, Pirates (it's now closed until the summer for refurb), Buzz (someone told me that it's better than at WDW because you can move the guns more?). If the park gets very busy, you can go and explore Adventure Isle, or go around Alice's labyrinth. Don't miss the Gallery in the first floor of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, or the dragon beneath it!!

Think a bit in advance about meals... If you want a character meal, you must book it in advance. There are plenty of fast food places around (again, depending on when you're going, you'll find some of them closed), it's better to go for an early lunch (11:30 - 12:00) to avoid the crowds. There's a few buffets (again better to book them in advance) and some really nice (but expensive) table restaurants. You can see all menus (and prices) in the Disneyland Paris website.

There are a few apps for DLP. The official one from Disneyland Paris is not bad, you get a map, waiting times, and some basic info about rides and restaurants. I also have MagiPark, it only has the wait times (but in a much more concise way, easier to see), and you can make a list of your favourite rides to only see those times.

Hope this helps a bit! Have a great time :)

Planning to go in June :)

June is nice!! Usually warm (but not too hot), usually dry, and if you avoid weekends, crowds are fairly manageable (except maybe the last week when some countries are already off for the summer holidays)

If you only have 1 day, I would stick to Disneyland park only. You would probably have time to do both parks, but it would be rushed, and it would be very difficult to fit in rides in Ratatouille or Crush. I think it would be much nicer to stick to one park only (and have an excuse to go back).

Get there early. Around 9:30 they start letting everyone into the park (though unless you have access to the Extra Magic Hours you can only stay around Main Street.

Personally I would start with Discoveryland, usually it's not too busy first thing, and straight to Buzz, followed by Hyperspace Mountain (you can also go and get a fast pass for Hyperspace Mountain, do Buzz, and then you should not have too long to wait for the HM fastpass). Then Frontierland, get fastpasses for BTM, and then go and to Phantom Manor, and if possible the Riverboat. Very relaxed ride, and if it's a nice sunny day, it's the best way to admire the most beautiful land in DLP....

You can probably skip most of the rides in Fantasyland, but it's still nice to walk around a bit. As I said go to the Castle and see the dragon. If you get the chance go and have a look inside "La Chaumiere des Sept Nains", the Snow White shop (it's between the Castle and the Snow White dark ride). It's a beautifully themed shop, you have the dwarves cottage area, and the evil queen's castle area. And opposite the shop, on the other side of the castle courtyard next to the Auberge de Cendrillon (restaurant), there's a little courtyard with a little well, some tables, and Cinderella's carriage. I love that little courtyard, and so many people don't even know it's there! You can also go to Alice's Labyrinth (particularly if most rides have longer queues), it's just been refurbished and looks as good as new, and you can go up the Queen of Hearts castle for a great view of Fantasyland!

In Adventureland, since Pirates will be closed, all that's left is Adventure Isle and the Indiana Jones rollercoaster. The wait is usually not too bad for Indiana Jones (there are also fastpasses but unless the park is busy they don't seem to work them), and Adventure Isle is great to explore (and is another good place to escape the crowds). You can also go up the Robison Crusoe's tree.

Oh, and take some time to admire Main Street, and eat a cake in the Cable Car shop!

The 25th anniversary starts end of march so in a few weeks we should have a better idea of what shows will be on when. The only definite ones are the new parade, and the night show at park closing.

June is nice!! Usually warm (but not too hot), usually dry, and if you avoid weekends, crowds are fairly manageable (except maybe the last week when some countries are already off for the summer holidays)

If you only have 1 day, I would stick to Disneyland park only. You would probably have time to do both parks, but it would be rushed, and it would be very difficult to fit in rides in Ratatouille or Crush. I think it would be much nicer to stick to one park only (and have an excuse to go back).

Get there early. Around 9:30 they start letting everyone into the park (though unless you have access to the Extra Magic Hours you can only stay around Main Street.

Personally I would start with Discoveryland, usually it's not too busy first thing, and straight to Buzz, followed by Hyperspace Mountain (you can also go and get a fast pass for Hyperspace Mountain, do Buzz, and then you should not have too long to wait for the HM fastpass). Then Frontierland, get fastpasses for BTM, and then go and to Phantom Manor, and if possible the Riverboat. Very relaxed ride, and if it's a nice sunny day, it's the best way to admire the most beautiful land in DLP....

You can probably skip most of the rides in Fantasyland, but it's still nice to walk around a bit. As I said go to the Castle and see the dragon. If you get the chance go and have a look inside "La Chaumiere des Sept Nains", the Snow White shop (it's between the Castle and the Snow White dark ride). It's a beautifully themed shop, you have the dwarves cottage area, and the evil queen's castle area. And opposite the shop, on the other side of the castle courtyard next to the Auberge de Cendrillon (restaurant), there's a little courtyard with a little well, some tables, and Cinderella's carriage. I love that little courtyard, and so many people don't even know it's there! You can also go to Alice's Labyrinth (particularly if most rides have longer queues), it's just been refurbished and looks as good as new, and you can go up the Queen of Hearts castle for a great view of Fantasyland!

In Adventureland, since Pirates will be closed, all that's left is Adventure Isle and the Indiana Jones rollercoaster. The wait is usually not too bad for Indiana Jones (there are also fastpasses but unless the park is busy they don't seem to work them), and Adventure Isle is great to explore (and is another good place to escape the crowds). You can also go up the Robison Crusoe's tree.

Oh, and take some time to admire Main Street, and eat a cake in the Cable Car shop!

The 25th anniversary starts end of march so in a few weeks we should have a better idea of what shows will be on when. The only definite ones are the new parade, and the night show at park closing.

Fantastic advice on touring the park!! Thank you, Elena! I appreciate it immensely!

Fantastic advice on touring the park!! Thank you, Elena! I appreciate it immensely!

I'm actually going to disagree with elena_n2o's plan. I would do the park hopper. I'd start in the Studios and do Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille as soon as it opens. In my opinion, those rides are not to be missed and do not have any equivalent in either US park. After those do anything else you want in that park - maybe the rides in the Toy Story area. You don't need to do Rock N Rollercoaster or Tower of Terror. Mickey and the Magician was not there yet when I went, but I did not find Cinemagique worth doing (I fell asleep).

After the few things in the studios, head back to DLP. Make sure you hit BTMRR, Indiana Jones, Phantom Manor, Hyperspace Mountain, and the Fantasyland dark rides (they are different enough that it's worth it). Also as mentioned make sure you see the dragon under the castle and do Alice's labyrinth. The Aladdin walk through is cool too. Skip Buzz (it's the same as Disneyland and very similar to WDW), Orbitron, Teacups.

Definitely see the night time show, whatever it is. It's sure to be amazing.

I'm actually going to disagree with elena_n2o's plan. I would do the park hopper. I'd start in the Studios and do Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille as soon as it opens. In my opinion, those rides are not to be missed and do not have any equivalent in either US park. After those do anything else you want in that park - maybe the rides in the Toy Story area. You don't need to do Rock N Rollercoaster or Tower of Terror. Mickey and the Magician was not there yet when I went, but I did not find Cinemagique worth doing (I fell asleep).

After the few things in the studios, head back to DLP. Make sure you hit BTMRR, Indiana Jones, Phantom Manor, Hyperspace Mountain, and the Fantasyland dark rides (they are different enough that it's worth it). Also as mentioned make sure you see the dragon under the castle and do Alice's labyrinth. The Aladdin walk through is cool too. Skip Buzz (it's the same as Disneyland and very similar to WDW), Orbitron, Teacups.

Definitely see the night time show, whatever it is. It's sure to be amazing.

Thank you, Ashley, I appreciate your insight as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter