First time for Palo, what to expect?

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
This will be our first time trying Palo. We are going on the Dream April 3rd and we finally were able to get a ressie. It is for 8:30 which probably won't be so bad since we are already on late dining.

So what can we expect?? Do we pick our own food? Are there a lot of choices?

How long does the dinner take?

I assume Alcohol is extra, is it really expensive or about what your would pay at the bars?

How do you tip? The cost is $20 per person, so I guess I don't understand what to tip? Is there just one server?

Is a silk pantsuit ok for a woman? Can't bring myself to bring a dress on the 4night! If we do this, this means my DH has to bring a suit right? Will a sports coat and dress pants work?

Sorry, just have no clue what to expect! Thanks!

google palo dinner menu and you'll find one, i am not sure if they changed the menu for the dream
at brunch (which i don't think they offer on the short cruises, it was a buffet that was supplemented by an order menu.)
there were three of us eating, we split two pizza's as appetizers (delicious) we also got four entrees between the three of us and three desserts. you can order as much as you like.

i would say a couple of hours

I assume Alcohol is extra, is it really expensive or about what your would pay at the bars?
the same prices as the bars, wine ranges a lot

How do you tip? The cost is $20 per person, so I guess I don't understand what to tip? Is there just one server?
people tell you different things, i've heard the 20 dollars is split between your server the assistant, yadda yadda, but most people leave more depending on how much you like your experience. the three of us tipped an extra 50 dollars if i remember correctly and our server was so appreciative.

Is a silk pantsuit ok for a woman? Can't bring myself to bring a dress on the 4night! If we do this, this means my DH has to bring a suit right? Will a sports coat and dress pants work?
sports coat and dress pants is perfectly fine, i don't think a coat is required, but if i were going without the coat, i would wear a tie. you'll be fine in your pantsuit

IMO,
expect to have a wonderful dining experience!!

We have dined at Palo twice and have not been disappointed either time. It is a lengthy meal, but we enjoyed the slower pace (not too slow, but enjoyable non rushed to turn a table over quickly). Our service was wonderful (very attentive and enjoyed making suggestions/bringing surprises). The servers enjoyed talking/sharing but not to the point that we were like enough now, go away, lol. The food was delicious!! Of everything we have ordered at both dining experiences, there was only ONE thing I did not like! And they were so kind about it. It just wasn't my taste at all and they bent over backwards to get me an alternative entree almost immediately. I didn't even mention that I didn't care for it, but I figure the server was noticing that I was not eating it and asked what was wrong. I tried to just say it wasn't the food, but next thing I know...the head server is at our table wanting to replace my meal. When I tried to explain to him, he was like that is what we are here for... if it's not what you like, then we replace it with something else that you will like.
We :lovestruc Palo. It is a highlight of the adult part of our cruise. I will be very surprised if you walk away disappointed in any way.
And to answer a few of your other random questions...
alcohol prices vary just as anywhere else, but not to the excess (but we also are not big drinkers)
your dining attire choices are perfectly fine.
and we did tip extra, but felt our servers went above and beyond!

A question for you more experienced Palo diners. We've done the brunch before and loved it. But alas, there are no opening for our cruise...at least not at the moment. So, I just booked dinner for dh and myself for our first night....chose 6pm since we normally eat on the early side. We have a late seating for our regular meals.
So...my 17 y/o dd is with us and I'm sure she'll be hanging out with the young adults a lot, but most likely not that first night. And since this is a family vacation (one of our last before she heads to college) we want to spend as much time together as is humanly possible. Is it at all possible to make a Palo dinner go a bit faster??? I don't mean finish in 30-45 mins...that's just nutty. But maybe just a bit over an hour or no more than 90 mins??? We don't drink, other than a glass of wine for me. We would really like to be able to hit our regularly scheduled dinner with dd, rather than have her either eat alone or eat in the room. Looks like we'll miss a show, but we'll deal with that later!
Any thoughts??

This will be our first time trying Palo. We are going on the Dream April 3rd and we finally were able to get a ressie. It is for 8:30 which probably won't be so bad since we are already on late dining.

AWESOME FOOD! You get to select your own food and can pick as many things as you want - flatbread pizzas are awesome, and then I usually get the beef, then chocolate souffle (MUST HAVE!)

Dinner can take a while, depending really on how long you want to make the dinner. One time I went we weren't there very long, but the next time I went with a bigger group it was prob over an hour.

I don't know about the alcohol, I do know it is extra but I don't know by how much.

This I am not sure of either with tip, but yes there was only one server for us.

The pantsuit will be good. As long as you look nice you will be ok. I've seen people in pants and a dress shirt and tie for men, and then anything form pantsuits to dresses for women.

Sorry, just have no clue what to expect! Thanks!

There are some menus out there that you can look at and it will give you a good idea of what is offered etc!
Have fun

Momof3belles and StichlovesStink (hi there fellow Marylander!),

Thank you both for your comments. My DH is kinda irritated that we are going to try Palo because he thinks the regular dining rooms are way more than we are used to anything at home and doesn't understand needing this experience. We are traveling with my Dsis and her DH on an adult only cruise this time. So I really want to try while we don't have the kids with us. We really love to be with the kids and wouldn't ever want to miss dinner with them. So this is our one chance to experience it!

Thank you for answering my questions and assuring me that we will enjoy our experience.

Goofy4tink. I would think you could ask your server to speed the process up somewhat. I don't know since I haven't been, but I am sure they will try to accomodate you as best they can. And keep trying for those Palo ressies. We just got one the other day for our Apr 3 cruise.
:flower3:

A question for you more experienced Palo diners. We've done the brunch before and loved it. But alas, there are no opening for our cruise...at least not at the moment. So, I just booked dinner for dh and myself for our first night....chose 6pm since we normally eat on the early side. We have a late seating for our regular meals.
So...my 17 y/o dd is with us and I'm sure she'll be hanging out with the young adults a lot, but most likely not that first night. And since this is a family vacation (one of our last before she heads to college) we want to spend as much time together as is humanly possible. Is it at all possible to make a Palo dinner go a bit faster??? I don't mean finish in 30-45 mins...that's just nutty. But maybe just a bit over an hour or no more than 90 mins??? We don't drink, other than a glass of wine for me. We would really like to be able to hit our regularly scheduled dinner with dd, rather than have her either eat alone or eat in the room. Looks like we'll miss a show, but we'll deal with that later!
Any thoughts??

FIRST, when you board, go to dining changes to see about changing your day/time to something that works better for you. If that's not possible, you can definately eat there in under two hours. The number or courses you chose can impact that and also tell your server your requirements. That being said, this is not an experience you would want to rush through.

I was just trying to decide if I'd want to do Palo with just an entree and desert (for instance) in order to cut the time and you know, I probably still would 'cause I crave their tenderloin and/or lamb and a panna cotta!:lmao:

FIRST, when you board, go to dining changes to see about changing your day/time to something that works better for you. If that's not possible, you can definately eat there in under two hours. The number or courses you chose can impact that and also tell your server your requirements. That being said, this is not an experience you would want to rush through.

I was just trying to decide if I'd want to do Palo with just an entree and desert (for instance) in order to cut the time and you know, I probably still would 'cause I crave their tenderloin and/or lamb and a panna cotta!:lmao:
Thanks. I have no thoughts as to 'rushing' but don't want to sit there lingering either. It's not as if dh and I are going to be lingering over some nice wines or after dinner cordials. But, I do want to eat there. I know, I know...I want my cake and to eat it too!!! Tenderloin or lamb??? Dear God...my dh will think he's died and gone to heaven...he adores lamb!!!

Thanks. I have no thoughts as to 'rushing' but don't want to sit there lingering either. It's not as if dh and I are going to be lingering over some nice wines or after dinner cordials. But, I do want to eat there. I know, I know...I want my cake and to eat it too!!! Tenderloin or lamb??? Dear God...my dh will think he's died and gone to heaven...he adores lamb!!!

The first time I ever had lamb was in Palo on the Magic and it was sooooo good. I asked my server how was I ever going to know if what I'd get at a restaurant at home would be as good. He said, with a ;), that it probably wouldn't! But did suggest that if I asked and it was New Zeland lamb, it would be a better quality.

74 more days till Palo on the Wonder!

A nice pantsuit is definitely fine for women. Men can just wear a dress shirt and tie - takes up much less room in the luggage than a suit! Palo is great! We love the regular dining rooms but there a level of difference between Palo and the regular rotation dining.

Dinner normally takes up to two hours. You have one server and they're usually excellent. I think most people do tip extra, beyond the $20 charge, we always do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter