• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time flying with son's power wheelchair

twinmum

DIS Veteran
Hi! In 2 weeks, we are flying to Orlando, then taking a Disney cruise. Our DH15 is still recovering from major orthopedic surgery (he has cerebral palsy). Given his reduced mobility, we've decided to travel with his power chair for the first time. We very nervous about entrusting this 1 year old power chair to the airline etc!

Any suggestions/tips/words of wisdom for us?

And just had to share...although he's had a total of 6 weekend nights at home, tonight will be our last overnight in hospital before he heads home to continue his rehab in a day program...that's 101 nights for us, but we're heading home tomorrow!!!

My boyfriend has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair. We have been to Disney World 12 times and always flown.

My advice, take everything that can be taken off the wheelchair, seat, foot rests, if there is a tray take it, headrest etc. Take something to put it in and store it inside the plane.

Bill has a custom back that we do not want taken off, I made sure to have signs written and placed on the chair stating to not touch the back. He has a tilt system and I told them if they had to tilt it that is fine but they do NOT have permission to take the back off.

Make sure to go up to the gate agent and ask what the specific boarding procedures are. We have only flown SouthWest and they always have us first on the plane since it takes so long to get the wheelchair loaded. When we arrive at our destination we are last off.

It might be a good idea to call the airline you are using to see what their boarding procedures are for wheelchairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter