• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

first time flying with injectables/needles

TaylorEar

Mouseketeer
My upcoming trip will be my first time flying with injectables and needles (B12 injection). I know that I need to have proof of Rx but I was wondering what the procedure is to take these through security in my carry-on? Do I have to pull them out of my bag, or do I wait to see if they ask to see them after the bag goes through the x-ray machine? Is keeping the vials/needles in the original pharmacy package with the Rx sticker on it enough "proof" or do I need to carry a copy of the actual Rx from the doctor?

The only time DH EVER ever ever needed proof of prescription was in Australia where the drug he took is flat out illegal without prescription. That is the ONLY time he ever needed it. He traveled with needles for years, and he travels half the year for work, and never ever had a prescription for them with him. No one ever cared. And the Australia thing was because of the drug itself, not the needles.

He just had them in his normal bag. Liquid drugs should be in their own baggie and declared but they know what needles look like and never needed him to take them out so they could look. They knew what they were already.

If you're that nervous, the sticker label is fine.

The only time DH EVER ever ever needed proof of prescription was in Australia where the drug he took is flat out illegal without prescription. That is the ONLY time he ever needed it. He traveled with needles for years, and he travels half the year for work, and never ever had a prescription for them with him. No one ever cared. And the Australia thing was because of the drug itself, not the needles.

He just had them in his normal bag. Liquid drugs should be in their own baggie and declared but they know what needles look like and never needed him to take them out so they could look. They knew what they were already.

If you're that nervous, the sticker label is fine.
Ok - thanks!

My upcoming trip will be my first time flying with injectables and needles (B12 injection). I know that I need to have proof of Rx but I was wondering what the procedure is to take these through security in my carry-on? Do I have to pull them out of my bag, or do I wait to see if they ask to see them after the bag goes through the x-ray machine? Is keeping the vials/needles in the original pharmacy package with the Rx sticker on it enough "proof" or do I need to carry a copy of the actual Rx from the doctor?

You'll need to notify the TSA agent monitoring the conveyer belt that you have medical necessity liquids/needles. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/medically-necessary-liquids-gels-and-aerosols. During the screening they may want to look at the items.

My partner has traveled with injection supplies for close to a decade, and not a single TSA agent has ever looked at them. He doesn't pull them out and put them in the screening bin separately or anything. One time they made him dig through his entire bag because he had forgotten to take an almost-empty bottle of Orangina out of his backpack, but they didn't even care about the syringes. I would go ahead and put the medication vial in the bin separately with the liquids and such, but the sticker on the prescription bottle should be plenty of "proof." They never check any of my prescriptions or my partner's, and we travel with quite a few.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter