First time flying with children

perryplatypus

Earning My Ears
We are flying down to Disney for the first time (second trip, first was a 24 hr car ride). Anyway, we have 4 children ages 5-17 and the older ones are getting a bit nervous about flying. What have you done to ease the worries and help keep them distracted? We also have a couple that get motion sickness in the car. Will that transfer onto a plane? I've only flown a handful of times in my life, myself so I'm not much help

I would start with the rules first. Go to the tsa website and they have videos about the security checkpoint and all that stuff. Make sure the kids (and you) know what's allowed in carryons and about taking off shoes and belts, etc. With a larger family you might want to get to the airport about two hours early.
As far as nerves, remind them how fast you will get to disney. They could chew gum for ear pressure during take off and landing. Each kid could have books, snacks, ipods, tablets in their backpacks for entertainment. Its good they are old enough to reason with and not babies.
Flying is definitely more annoying these days, but I think its so much better than a 2 day road trip.

heard this might change but have not heard it has, prepare the kids to have to turn off phones, music, dvd etc at take off and landing. also use of headphones with anything with noise. watch toys younger ones want to take to use on plane for rolling off tray tables including crayons. tip for crayons have small plastic box, not cardboard box. for easy getting make sure bag will fit under seat in front of yours. can be hard to get to bags in overhead esp on take off, landing and if seatbelt sign is on.

If your kids get motion sickness, I would give them some medication such as dramamine or bonine. DS1 and I always take it before a flight just in case.

Agree with reading up on the TSA website, lots of good info for families. And as PP mentioned, each kid should have a backpack with some goodies and electronics/dvd player/books, those things are invaluable to pass the time and help make for a much more enjoyable flight. good luck!

What exactly are the kids nervous about? Then try to reson with them that way. Remind them that flying is far safer than driving. Is some of your anxiety transferring to them? Think about it and make sure.

To give the kids something to do while flying, check out this thread on Disboards

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=226819&highlight=coloring+pages

But you had better go and get several reams of paper and lots of ink for your printer.

The best thing you can do to calm any fears that they have, is not to show fear yourself. Make a game out of it; get them to sing "Up in the wild blue yonder" as you take off. Convence them that its just the first of many Magical Disney Rides they have to look forward to. pirate:

I would start with the rules first. Go to the tsa website and they have videos about the security checkpoint and all that stuff. Make sure the kids (and you) know what's allowed in carryons and about taking off shoes and belts, etc.....

Children under 12 do not have to take off their shoes.

I agree, visit TSA.gov and read the advice there about traveling with kids. Make sure your kids understand the security process. Nothing to worry about!

?..... Make a game out of it; get them to sing "Up in the wild blue yonder" as you take off. Convence them that its just the first of many Magical Disney Rides they have to look forward to. pirate:

:scared1:

Please no!

BTW, it's off we go into the wild blue yonder (the Air Force song).

We just flew this past march with DD 23 month and DD 14 and just me (mom) My stroller was a life saver! I have a britax b agile folds easy and I took it right onto the plane! Well almost you collapse it right before boarding then its there when you leave! My stroller helped keep me organized place for drinks and hang diaper bag from handles ect Our flight was delayed by 3 hrs and it was a blessing having the stroller! I was also able to strap the baby in and just go in the busy Orlando airport! Bring plenty of outfits if you have one in diapers its not always feasible to change a diaper and you may have leaks! If the kids that get car sick are older I would use ear planes they screw into your ears and they work awesome for motion sickness!(I hate Dramamine)Get there early it takes time to get through security ect Good luck!

We just flew this past march with DD 23 month and DD 14 and just me (mom) My stroller was a life saver! I have a britax b agile folds easy and I took it right onto the plane! Well almost you collapse it right before boarding then its there when you leave! My stroller helped keep me organized place for drinks and hang diaper bag from handles ect Our flight was delayed by 3 hrs and it was a blessing having the stroller! I was also able to strap the baby in and just go in the busy Orlando airport! Bring plenty of outfits if you have one in diapers its not always feasible to change a diaper and you may have leaks! If the kids that get car sick are older I would use ear planes they screw into your ears and they work awesome for motion sickness!(I hate Dramamine)Get there early it takes time to get through security ect Good luck!

Ok so I just re read original post and your youngest is 5 so forget everything I just said lol!

Here are a few things I would suggest going over with the kids, from my own experience.

Yes, those who get carsick are likely to get airsick, especially if there is turbulence or you end up circling due to weather. Try Bonine (meclizine), as Dramamine absolutely knocks out some kids. There are airsick bags in every seat pouch.

Talk about normal flying - the force at liftoff, bump at landing, climbs and drops, noises from landing gear/ailerons and flaps/engines, stretches of turbulence where you have to stay belted.

packing - anything you'd hate to lose (phone charger, camera, prescription) should not be in a checked bag.

dress - planes are often chilly, a long sleeved shirt over a Tshirt gives you options

backpack/totebag - for each group if seats are split up
A. time fillers - magazine, mp3, new game for the phone, 2 decks of cards, pen/paper, etc Helpful to have their own earbuds for in-flight music and videos.
B. snacks - protein bars, oatmeal cookies, cheese sticks, nuts, trail mix, crackers, licorice, anything calorie-dense to keep the kids satiated
C. bath towel - rolled up it's a pillow, unrolled it's a blanket, especially nice for very early or very late flights even for 17 year olds.
D. I carry a fast acting nasal spray in case someone has a stuffy head before flying. A plugged ear coupled with the plane's pressure changes can lead to a very painful ruptured eardrum. I've had good results with phenylephrine HCl. Check with your family doctor first if this interests you.

airport security - takes just two minutes but: shoes/belts off, personal items go in a tub for xray, liquids/gels including lip gloss go in a baggie, there's a walk thru scanner, and no joking around especially about bombs/guns/terrorists etc.

Show the kids over age seven how to read the flight monitors and figure out where you need to go.

cash - we usually give the tweens and teens $15. They can buy a magazine and snacks in the airport, or sometimes they like to try the airline's "snack box" during the flight. Let them know if pop and water are free in-flight.

toilets - Go before boarding, and on the plane go before you really need to. Aisles can be blocked for several minutes by food and beverage carts.

Check around carefully to be sure you don't leave anything behind on the plane when you disembark.

This is great, everyone. Thank you. It's just fear of the unknown with them. Luckily we were able to book seats 3 and 3. So I have one child on each side and so does dh

You can make a snack bag for each of your kids with their favorite snacks!! Make sure to tell your kids to pack a bag full of activities they wanna do. Create a Disney bingo like my sis did; it will keep your kids busy. Have fun!

Give yourself plenty of time. I'd say 3 hours not 2, but of course it depends on which airport you're flying out of. InSeattle I like 3. Our next trip I'm going first with our son, plan to be there at the 3 hour mark and check baggage, get through security and get a snack. My husband will meet us there after work. Cutting it close, especially with security, really stresses me out!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Could you take them over to the windows and let them watch planes taking off and landing? That was always a fascination for my kids (who've flown since they were babies). Then they would know what's going on with the plane while you're sitting inside.

I would pack a few pairs of ear plugs - if they aren't using tech equipment that require earbuds - the earplugs will help with the cabin pressurization.

We are flying out of Buffalo (coming from Cda) our plane leaves at 8:30am. We are staying in a hotel the night before to ease the border stress

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter