• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time flying with 2 year old

During take off I let him sit on my lap belted in because I didn't want him to be afraid.

I wouldn't want anyone to assume that that can happen on every flight. I sat across from a woman who did that with her child, but the flight was at night and I'm not sure the FA really realized that it was happening. I don't think it's supposed to happen with a child with their own seat (with any 2+ would have).

And please keep yourself and your children buckled up for the whole flight, even when they turn the seatbelt lights off. There was a post just a few days ago about a plane that experienced clear air turbulence. Quite a few people were injured. Turbulence can hit at any time, and you don't want to be unsecured if it does.:eek:

Yep. The harnessed seat doesn't help in a big huge crash, but in the smaller cases like this.

We got earplanes at drugstore.com. From the way DS reacts to them, I think that, for him, they are a placebo effect...but that's OK, I'm totally cool with placebo effects!

My youngest has flown at 3 months, 15 months, and at 26 months. We didn't use a carseat at 15 months but I am still regretting that we didn't! She didn't want to sit still after awhile, etc. I don't think she slept either flight either. On the flight home that trip, she also had horrible ear pain. I did as well as others on the flight. She screamed in pain for the last 30 minutes. I think if we had brought the carseat, she would have napped and been more content other than the ear pain.

When we flew this last trip, she was in the car seat. There was no fussing because she knows it as being a place to be buckled into and to sit still. Still can't remember if she napped, but she played and colored happily. Her only issues were when the plane was taking off or landing or whenever the altitude changed. It seemed that was really getting major "Tummy Tickles" and didn't like that feeling.

We used a Cosco Scenera for the flight and it was easy and light enough to carry and install. We normally use a Britax Marathon but I didn't want to lug that around or worry about any damage.

Can't help with the carseat thing, but just want to make sure you know about Earplanes. They are specially designed earplugs that help keep the pressure from building up in your kid's ears during take-off and landing. My sister won't fly without them. As I understand it, kids can be especially susceptible to the pressure changes, and Earplanes can be a real lifesaver. HTH.

Just be warned that a 2 year old might not want these in...My little guy cried and wouldn't let me put them in--but I am going to try again in April;)

Please don't ever do that! It is very dangerous, and I'm quite suprised the FA let you do it. If you would have had an accident you just made your child your own personal airbag. Not a good thing!

And please keep yourself and your children buckled up for the whole flight, even when they turn the seatbelt lights off. There was a post just a few days ago about a plane that experienced clear air turbulence. Quite a few people were injured. Turbulence can hit at any time, and you don't want to be unsecured if it does.:eek:

He was extremely small for 2 1/2 and sat straight back on my lap while I held onto him. I would not have let him sit on my lap had it not been for that and the fact that I too am really small in height and weight. He was far enough away from the seat in front of me to where there was no way he could hit the seat. I believe that was the reason they (FA's) allowed it. As soon as we were in the air I slid him over to his seat and kept him buckled in. All take offs after that he sat in his own seat belted and was fine.

Thank you for your concern though. :) I should have clairified when I said that. I don't recommend people putting their child in their laps on planes and definitely not cars, etc. I am Ms. Safety when it comes to my child. He will probably be in a booster seat until he's 16 if I have it my way.:laughing:

He was extremely small for 2 1/2 and sat straight back on my lap while I held onto him. I would not have let him sit on my lap had it not been for that and the fact that I too am really small in height and weight. He was far enough away from the seat in front of me to where there was no way he could hit the seat. I believe that was the reason they (FA's) allowed it. As soon as we were in the air I slid him over to his seat and kept him buckled in. All take offs after that he sat in his own seat belted and was fine.

Thank you for your concern though. :) I should have clairified when I said that. I don't recommend people putting their child in their laps on planes and definitely not cars, etc. I am Ms. Safety when it comes to my child. He will probably be in a booster seat until he's 16 if I have it my way.:laughing:

You are missing the point and for those reading if your child is going to sit on your lap in an airplane they should never, ever be buckled in with you.

Regardless of the size of the adult or the child, a child can be seriously hurt in the event of turbulance or a clear air drop. It has nothing to do with the seat in front of you. The force of the drop will cause the baby to absorb the full weight of the adult plus the force of the drop. Picture having the baby on your lap and then having your full weight thrust forward - the lap belt will restrain the baby against your force. Now imagine that going hundreds of miles an hour!

This is why lap babies can't be buckled with a parent and why the FAA prohibits baby wearing devices like bjorn carriers other vests and tethers that attach the baby to the adult.

If the FA knowingly allowed a child to share a seatbelt with an adult they could be discipined or worse for not following FAA regulations. The airline could also suffer a substantial fine.

The safest place for a child under 40lbs is in an FAA approved carseat followed by sitting in his/her own seat buckled in the seatbelt. Of course when the seatbelt light is off a trip to the potty or a cuddle with a parent is fine.

TJ

Looks like the original pp already made her decision, but just wanted to add how it went in Feb with my just turned 2 year old. I went back and forth about taking the car seat or not and in the end we did not. It went just fine over all. She wanted to get up, but we were able to distract her and she actually slept in her seat buckled in on the flight back. I might have gotten the CARES if it hadn't been so expensive, to even rent, but not car seat worked out fine for us. Just bring plenty of things to entertain them!;)

You are missing the point and for those reading if your child is going to sit on your lap in an airplane they should never, ever be buckled in with you.

Regardless of the size of the adult or the child, a child can be seriously hurt in the event of turbulance or a clear air drop. It has nothing to do with the seat in front of you. The force of the drop will cause the baby to absorb the full weight of the adult plus the force of the drop. Picture having the baby on your lap and then having your full weight thrust forward - the lap belt will restrain the baby against your force. Now imagine that going hundreds of miles an hour!

This is why lap babies can't be buckled with a parent and why the FAA prohibits baby wearing devices like bjorn carriers other vests and tethers that attach the baby to the adult.

If the FA knowingly allowed a child to share a seatbelt with an adult they could be discipined or worse for not following FAA regulations. The airline could also suffer a substantial fine.

The safest place for a child under 40lbs is in an FAA approved carseat followed by sitting in his/her own seat buckled in the seatbelt. Of course when the seatbelt light is off a trip to the potty or a cuddle with a parent is fine.

TJ

Wow! :headache: It was only for take-off that he sat with me. But I love how I tried to offer advice and even said that I do not advise anyone else to do the same as I did, I am still being picked apart. I'm sure you have never made a mistake with parenting your child. So please, write a parenting book so that we may all make sure never to make any mistakes. I'm not trying to be rude but honestly I don't like the way some people pick apart everyone elses mistakes. Just think about how you would you feel as a mother if you made a quick parenting decision that wasn't the best one. Someone told you about your mistake and explained it to you. You understood but then somebody else came and reiterated plus went into detail about every part of your mistake. I think there is a nice way to give someone advice and a way that sounds like you are condeming them. I am a very good parent and a careful parent. I understand how dangerous it was and am not going to do it again. My quick thinking about the situation was...better to be belted in with me then sitting on my lap depending on my grip to hold onto him. Again though, right after take off he was put in his seat and belted in from that point forward. Quick decision, bad decision. I get it. Thanks for the advice.

Wow! :headache: It was only for take-off that he sat with me. But I love how I tried to offer advice and even said that I do not advise anyone else to do the same as I did, I am still being picked apart. I'm sure you have never made a mistake with parenting your child. So please, write a parenting book so that we may all make sure never to make any mistakes. I'm not trying to be rude but honestly I don't like the way some people pick apart everyone elses mistakes. Just think about how you would you feel as a mother if you made a quick parenting decision that wasn't the best one. Someone told you about your mistake and explained it to you. You understood but then somebody else came and reiterated plus went into detail about every part of your mistake. I think there is a nice way to give someone advice and a way that sounds like you are condeming them. I am a very good parent and a careful parent. I understand how dangerous it was and am not going to do it again. My quick thinking about the situation was...better to be belted in with me then sitting on my lap depending on my grip to hold onto him. Again though, right after take off he was put in his seat and belted in from that point forward. Quick decision, bad decision. I get it. Thanks for the advice.

Wow,

Sorry, I really didn't mean to pick on you and as I said in my post I wanted to point out the issues for those reading along and traveling in the future. Lots lots of people will read this thread even when we are done posting so my information was mainly for folks traveling in the future.

Instead of saying what you said above about understanding the danger of what you did, you came back and justified your decision by saying that you were small, your child was small and would not have hit the seat in front. I (perhaps mistakenly) thought you and perhaps others didn't understand how dangerous this was.

I never commented on your parenting skills only the situation you presented. I have no delusions about being a perfect parent and I don't give advice on parenting.

I fly often and when I read a thread where I think I have factual and useful information I will post it.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter