First Time flying SW- question

wdwfanatic316

DIS Veteran
Ok, not really the first time but the first in a really long time!

I just booked my SW flight from Wichita to Orlando for a May trip. I'll be meeting my mom/uncle in Orlando, which means that it will just be my DS(2) and me on the flight. I'm a little nervous about flying by myself with him, and want to make sure I'm doing whatever I can to make it easier. So, to get to my question (finally), should I purchase EBCI? What exactly will that get me over checking in at 24 hours before departure? Family boarding is after one round of boarding, correct? Also, aren't all SW's planes, for the most part, the same configuration? Are they 2/3 seating? I'm not really worried about the front vs the back or anything, just want to make sure we're seated together.

Thanks in advance!!! :goodvibes

Ok, not really the first time but the first in a really long time! I just booked my SW flight from Wichita to Orlando for a May trip. I'll be meeting my mom/uncle in Orlando, which means that it will just be my DS(2) and me on the flight. I'm a little nervous about flying by myself with him, and want to make sure I'm doing whatever I can to make it easier.

1-So, to get to my question (finally), should I purchase EBCI?

2-What exactly will that get me over checking in at 24 hours before departure?

3-Family boarding is after one round of boarding, correct?

4-Also, aren't all SW's planes, for the most part, the same configuration? Are they 2/3 seating?

I'm not really worried about the front vs the back or anything, just want to make sure we're seated together. Thanks in advance!!! :goodvibes

1- I would.
2- It gets your checked in at 36 hours before departure, which is awesome if you'll be in the parks at 24 hours before. It really guarantees you nothing else.
3-Yes, family boarding is between A and B groups and since your son is 2 you qualify for it. However, I've seen reports of family boarding being cancelled if the plane has a lot of families. This is one reason why I bought EBCI, because if family boarding isn't done, we still get early boarding with EBCI.
4-The last time I looked up the seating arrangements online I do believe they were all 2 and 3.

:) :) :)

This question comes up a lot. Even though you will get to board with the family section between A and B, I think EBCI just gives you comfort so that you aren't fretting up until the day you fly. You aren't guaranteed an A spot, you could be early B. But I think it couldn't hurt to get it.

Also, all of Southwest's planes are 3 and 3 seats.

All SW planes are 737's, which are 3 x 3.

This question comes up a lot. Even though you will get to board with the family section between A and B, I think EBCI just gives you comfort so that you aren't fretting up until the day you fly. You aren't guaranteed an A spot, you could be early B. But I think it couldn't hurt to get it. Also, all of Southwest's planes are 3 and 3 seats.

Ah, crud! I was thinking of AirTran. Sorry!! :(

I don't think you need to purchase EBCI. When we flew SW in Dec, we were in B group and there were plenty of empty rows in the middle/back. You can still check in at 24 hour mark and try to get A, but even if you don't I wouldn't worry about it.

You will be wasting your money to purchase EBCI with a small child. Family boarding will get you 2 seats together, don't worry about it.

When I fly with my son (4), I also put him in the middle and I take the aisle seat so I don't have to disturb any possible seat mates with climbing over them for potty time! (which may include diaper changes for you).

You will be wasting your money to purchase EBCI with a small child. Family boarding will get you 2 seats together, don't worry about it.

Unless they don't do family boarding. And it can be cancelled at the discretion of the gate agents. Having peace of mind is, for some of us, worth a few dollars.

Unless they don't do family boarding. And it can be cancelled at the discretion of the gate agents. Having peace of mind is, for some of us, worth a few dollars.

Exactly! For our family, we say what's another $25 per person for peace of mind? And $100 more on a $5,000 vacation isn't anything. That's how we look at it.

You could split the difference. Do your own online check-in at the 24 hour mark for your flight TO Florida. If you do it right at 24 hours, you should get A boarding assignments, or early B at the worst (in which case, do family boarding if they offer it). You will have no problem getting two seats together. For peace of mind, do EBCI for the return flight; you won't have to worry about forgetting to check-in, won't have to be at a computer when it's time to check in, etc. Southwest will take care of it for you while you are enjoying your last day at Disney!

You could split the difference. Do your own online check-in at the 24 hour mark for your flight TO Florida. If you do it right at 24 hours, you should get A boarding assignments, or early B at the worst (in which case, do family boarding if they offer it). You will have no problem getting two seats together. For peace of mind, do EBCI for the return flight; you won't have to worry about forgetting to check-in, won't have to be at a computer when it's time to check in, etc. Southwest will take care of it for you while you are enjoying your last day at Disney!

I was thinking this might be the best option. However, now I have another question. Would I need to buy EBCI for both myself and DS, or would they just look at my boarding pass group for both since he's only 2?

Thank you!!! :goodvibes

I was thinking this might be the best option. However, now I have another question. Would I need to buy EBCI for both myself and DS, or would they just look at my boarding pass group for both since he's only 2? Thank you!!! :goodvibes

Is he lap help or does he have his own seat? My guess is this... If he has his own seat, you'll need to buy EBCI. If he's lap held, he should be counted with you.

I thought maybe she was rounding his age. Maybe he'll be just under 2, I don't know. I was just covering all possibilities by him being just under or over.

Yes, DS has his own seat. He'll actually be almost 3 in may when we're going.

He would have his own boarding pass, so he would need his own boarding number. If it's not near the parents number, he would have to wait to board with them or vice versa.

Most SW flights I have been on - no family boarding was called. It went right from A to B. I would not, personally, rely on family boarding being available..

Thanks for all the replies! I just added the EBCI for our return flight. I think that will give me peace of mind that we'll be able to sit together on the way back and I won't need to worry about checking in for the flight at a certain time. For the flight out I'll make sure to check in at the 24 hour mark. Also, out of my home airport (Wichita) somehow I just feel more comfortable that we will be able to find seats together. Thanks again! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter