First time flying in 3 years

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Mom2Nick, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Mom2Nick

Mom2Nick DIS Veteran

And I cannot seem to find any information regarding the rules on what I can and cannot bring in my carry on luggage? Can anybody help? I am flying on Jet Blue. I checked their website but couldn't find what I was looking for.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. crashbb

crashbb DIS Veteran

The rules (other than size) are from the TSA so they are not airline specific (hence not being on AirTran's site).

Here's a good source for the info:

TSA Page for Travelers

The two main pages (linked from there) that you should check are:

Info about 3-1-1

Info about prohibited items

4. cbrfan

cbrfan DIS Veteran

Check www.tsa.gov . To the right of the screen is a "know before you go" section. This will tell you what the TSA won't allow and how to pack your liquids/gels. In addition, check your individual airline's website for additional information on prohibited items and carryon guidelines. On JetBlue's website click "help" at the top right of the homepage. Scroll down until you find the baggage information you're looking for. If you haven't flown in a few years I would suggest reading both sites thoroughly, if possible. It could answer quite a few questions you may have or may come up. Not to mention making the situation less stressful.

5. Mom2Nick

Mom2Nick DIS Veteran

Thanks for your help.

So in a nutshell other than the obvious no weapon stuff the only new thing is the liquie/gell one correct? I am seeing that any liquid or gels must be less than 3 ounces each and must fit in a zip type bag? I wasn't planning on bringing any liquids in my carryons except for snacks for my kids but I guess I can just eliminate the drinks and get ones on the plane. Have I translated this correctly?

6. crashbb

crashbb DIS Veteran

Yes - it sounds like you've got it down.

7. Vijoge

Vijoge <font color=teal>This one isn't itchy or scratchy<

You don't have to wait until you're on the plane. Anything you purchase after you've gone through airport security can be brought on board.

8. Mom2Nick

Mom2Nick DIS Veteran

Thanks! Looks like I was a tad worried about nothing :)

9. cbrfan

cbrfan DIS Veteran

I didn't find it to be too big a change. The only thing I had to do differently was to get travel containers that had the amount marked on them. You can't just take them in a small, unmarked bottles. I get my 3oz. travel containers at WalMart for .50 each.