First time flyer.. not sure what to expect

Wondershy

Curiouser and curiouser
I'll be flying from Canada (Moncton, NB) to Orlando in October and have no idea what to expect. I'm the kind of person who needs to know exactly what is going to happen and how I should prepare myself. So if anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences that'd be great!

I guess my main concern (although I'm told its not likely to happen) is that I somehow end up on the wrong plane or end up being completely lost at the airport and miss my flights (I will need to transfer). The flight itself does not bother me, it's the preperation of actually getting on the plane.

It is very hard to end up on the wrong plane. I have seen people get confused and get in the wrong boarding line (generally either when there are alot of gates together like Seattle airport in the back section for SW or if there were gate changes that made the gate on the ticket not the right gate anymore) however the people taking the tickets have always caught it and told the people it was the wrong flight and where to go.

As for exactly what to expect... might help if you give more info... like what airline? Are you checking bags? stuff like that they make a difference in where you go and how things work.

It is very hard to end up on the wrong plane. I have seen people get confused and get in the wrong boarding line (generally either when there are alot of gates together like Seattle airport in the back section for SW or if there were gate changes that made the gate on the ticket not the right gate anymore) however the people taking the tickets have always caught it and told the people it was the wrong flight and where to go.

As for exactly what to expect... might help if you give more info... like what airline? Are you checking bags? stuff like that they make a difference in where you go and how things work.

Thank you! I've never even set foot in an airport and it never even occured to me that they do have people checking tickets
As for details..I'll be flying with Air Canada, the transfers will be within Canada, and I believe I will be checking bags.. I'll be using DME and I'm undecided on whether it's better for me to do it or go through them

Ok, I gotta ask.... are your cats names Mickey, Minnie, and Daisy? LOL. My dogs are Minnie and Lilo!

Ok, I gotta ask.... are your cats names Mickey, Minnie, and Daisy? LOL. My dogs are Minnie and Lilo!

They are... my oldest (although he is at the rainbow bridge now :( ) was already named Mickey when we adopted him, that is when we knew for sure we were supposed to bring him home (we were picking between two cute kittens)

Then when we got the girls later they had really bad names that we didn't like at all so we decided to stick with the Disney theme.

Make sure to allow yourself plenty of time. Since you've never done it before, consider getting there four hours before your flight. That will give you PLENTY of time to figure out everything!!

You may want to do a test run and drive around the airport a week or so before your flight. That way you'll know where to go for parking and which terminal your airline is in (if there's more than one). Airports are typically big circles so if you miss the turn the first time, just look for more signs and try again. If you do it a few times before your actual departure date, you'll be much less stressed when it's time to do it for real!

Most airlines have a curbside bag check option. You'll wait less time but you'll need to tip the porter who gets your bags (in the US it's between $2 and $5/bag, depending on the weight; if they're crazy heavy or bulky, consider going higher). If you don't want to do that, just carry your bags inside to the check-in area and follow the signs. There are always lots of people around who can point you in the right direction. Just look for signs that say your airline's name and "check-in".

As for security, you'll want to check your country's travel safety agency's website for details on what to expect, what not to bring, etc. In the US, that's TSA but I don't know what it is in Canada. Things we can't bring are liquids over travel size (I think 2oz?), weapons (duh), or open containers (like drink bottles). Just check the website and it will give you all the details.

There are usually restaurants in the airport as well as gift shops so you have some things to do to kill time if you've figured everything out super early. Be sure to bring snacks for your kids if you're traveling with any as well as toys (for you and them), books, games, etc. There are also usually charging stations for electronics if you want to use your laptop, iPad, phone, etc. Some airports even have free wifi, although it's usually REALLY slow!

Hope this helps!! Just remember that it's the destination that matters, not getting there. It's all a means to an end and will be over before you know it. ;-) Good luck!

Thank you! I've never even set foot in an airport and it never even occured to me that they do have people checking tickets
As for details..I'll be flying with Air Canada, the transfers will be within Canada, and I believe I will be checking bags.. I'll be using DME and I'm undecided on whether it's better for me to do it or go through them

Of course they check tickets... they don't want someone who bought a short flight to get on a plane for the other side of the US!

As for finding your way around an airport they really are pretty easy. You will

1) Arrive at the airport and follow nearby signs to park. Depending on the size of your airport you then either walk or take a shuttle to the ticketing area.
2) From the ticketing area there will be sections for each airline you will find yours and bring your bags there. If you didn't print your boarding passes at home you will do this here as well as checking your bags.
3) Go to security - Your from canada so I can't help with what that is like. Hopefully someone else can but I assume the US is different.
4) Optionally if you have alot of time go get some food or shop
5) Find a monitor and find out what gate your plane leaves from. They may have told you when you checked your bags but I always double check now because they change them sometimes
6) Follow the signs to your gate (generally they have "wings" with letters and then the numbers just go in order so its hard to get lost)
7) Wait at the gate until its time to board. I don't know how your airline does this but every airline I have ever flown explains it.

Be sure to bring snacks for your kids if you're traveling with any as well as toys (for you and them), books, games, etc. There are also usually charging stations for electronics if you want to use your laptop, iPad, phone, etc. Some airports even have free wifi, although it's usually REALLY slow!

This part reminded me... if you have kids (or adults - I am one of these) that get impatient easily its good to have something to do that isn't electronic. From the time you get in the plane until your over 10000 feet up they won't let you turn them on.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the boards regarding the Orlando airport, so you may want to review that.

One aspect not yet mentioned is international customs. Honestly, I am not certain how that works, but one of our colleagues can probably help with describing it. In general, you will exit the plane, get your bags, then go through a customs and immigration line (like airport security). It should be clearly marked and pretty easy. if you are unsure, just ask.

However, I recommend doing some research on this aspect ahead of time, as it may be one of the more stressful portions of the trip. No sweat, just something to be aware of.

Of course they check tickets... they don't want someone who bought a short flight to get on a plane for the other side of the US!

As for finding your way around an airport they really are pretty easy. You will

1) Arrive at the airport and follow nearby signs to park. Depending on the size of your airport you then either walk or take a shuttle to the ticketing area.
2) From the ticketing area there will be sections for each airline you will find yours and bring your bags there. If you didn't print your boarding passes at home you will do this here as well as checking your bags.
3) Go to security - Your from canada so I can't help with what that is like. Hopefully someone else can but I assume the US is different.
4) Optionally if you have alot of time go get some food or shop
5) Find a monitor and find out what gate your plane leaves from. They may have told you when you checked your bags but I always double check now because they change them sometimes
6) Follow the signs to your gate (generally they have "wings" with letters and then the numbers just go in order so its hard to get lost)
7) Wait at the gate until its time to board. I don't know how your airline does this but every airline I have ever flown explains it.
Continuing on...
8) Once onboard, find your seat, put any carryons under the seat in front of you or in the closest overhead bin
9) Sit down, buckle the seat belt.
10) Relax & enjoy the flight. As mentioned, electronics will need to be turned off during the departure and arrival (they'll tell you when), so plan accordingly. The engines will be loudly humming and there will be lots of noises during arrival and departure (landing gear up/down, flaps & slats up/down).
11) Once you arrive at the next airport, when the plane gets to the gate, unbuckle. Depending on where you are in the plane will determine how much room you have. Once you have room, gather all your belongings and exit the plane. Don't stand in the aisle getting your bags organized. Someone behind you might have a tight connection. If you need to organize something, step out of the aisle.
12) When you walk off the jetway, look at the monitors or ask an employee where your next flight is. They'll want to know your destination. Find that gate, stopping for bathroom/food on the way (if time). Follow steps 5-12 for your connecting flight.
13) At your final destination, once you get off the plane, look for signs that say "baggage claim" (if you've checked bags, this is where you'd pick them up (unless you used DME), or "transportation/exit" if you don't need to get bags. If you're using DME, go to side B, level 1.

There is a sticky thread at the top of the boards regarding the Orlando airport, so you may want to review that.

One aspect not yet mentioned is international customs. Honestly, I am not certain how that works, but one of our colleagues can probably help with describing it. In general, you will exit the plane, get your bags, then go through a customs and immigration line (like airport security). It should be clearly marked and pretty easy. if you are unsure, just ask.

However, I recommend doing some research on this aspect ahead of time, as it may be one of the more stressful portions of the trip. No sweat, just something to be aware of.

Most Canadian airports have US customs/immigration pre-clearance, so you land in the US as if you were coming off of a domestic US flight.

OP - since your routing has a connection in Canada (let's say Toronto) before hitting a US airport, you'll do the US pre-clearance there (i.e. Toronto). Toronto actually just announced that you'll no longer have to pick up your bags when making a connection, but I'm not sure if that includes a connection from a domestic flight to a US flight.

What airport are you connecting through? I know many airports have guides/videos about making connections. We can try to find one for you if we know the airport.

I also would recommend getting there early to give yourself time to find where you need to be and get there without the worry of missing your flight.I have spent far too many hours at airports and it`s always worst when you are rushing.So once you check in I would head straight to the security area and wait at the airside part of the airport,as sucurity lines can sometimes more so slowly.Look at the airport`s website in advance to see what is airside and if there is a restaurant you can relax,have a meal and take your time.Not so much fun at small regional airport`s where there is just a waiting area and not much else.Bring a book,mp3 player etc.
I can`t say what it`s like flying from canada as it`s been so long for me to travel there,but in UK,you cannot end up on the wrong flight.All boarding cards are scanned by a computer or checked by a person for the correct flight number before they let you board.Once on board,the cabin crew greeting you will check your boarding card again to check.You can always ask the cabin crew and boarding gate personnel to verify it is the right flight too,just for added peace of mind.Maybe someone from canada can you give the specifics for travelling there,but I would imagine with the heightened security the past 10 years,they would be stringent in checking the boarding card was for the correct flight.Once airbourne relaxxxxxxxx,you are now officially on vacation:)

Not sure about your airline, but other airlines have apps for your cell phone. You can set the app to watch your flight and it will give you notifications about things like delays and gate changes.

If you're nervous about missing something, I would suggest that you do NOT listen to music with headphones on while you're waiting for your flight. You're going to want to hear all the announcements.

As soon as you get into the airport, you should see a TV screen type monitor on the wall with flight information. This will tell you if your flight is on time, and which gate. Once you know which gate, look for signs pointing you in the right direction.

You will see more of these monitors throughout the airport. Check them periodically for gate changes and flight delays.

When you get to the gate, there will be a sign there showing the flight number.

You have to hand your boarding pass (or hold it out) to the airline employee before you go through the door to get to the jetway to get on your plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter