First time ECV user strategic planning help request

You do not lock up a scooter in the parks. Just park with the strollers or where a cast member directs you and take your key. I have never heard of a scooter being stolen but do not leave valuables in parked scooter's basket.

Please don't park your scooter with the strollers. There are separate areas for each. If you aren't sure where to park it, feel free to ask a CM. They will advise where to park it. Chances are if you leave it in a stroller area (as my CM family member says) "it will get towed to the appropriate area" and then you spend more time walking around looking for it. My family has spent quite a bit of time towing improperly parked ECVs and strollers!

I've always taken mine in the room to charge and had plenty of space. We stay at Pop Century 90% of the time. I have also seen plenty of them charging in the hall there overnight, so it's not just the luxury resorts that you can do this.

Also, if renting from the parks, there is still a long walk to and from the buses and your room. Add to that standing in the lines for the buses and that may be too much for your wife with recent hip surgery.

All of the buses carry at least 2 ECV and on our most recent trip, I saw many that were equipped to take three. Tell your wife to not worry, just do what she needs to do and enjoy vacation! I have never noticed anyone giving me dirty looks. In fact, I've had people be exceptionally nice to me while riding one.
POP tends to get the buses that can accommodate 3 ECVs (if they are in service) because POP is the largest hotel on property with 2880 rooms.

And, if the lines are long on the way back to the resort, they usually have the disabled spot chained up so you have to wait in the regular line, on your ECV, for your turn to get on a bus. Yes, you will load first, but after having waited your turn.

In my last several trips, the only park who has had ECVs and WCs entering the regular queue for bus service was MK. And usually only when it was super busy like after the evening parade or fireworks or at park closing. Even at busy times such as park closing, they were still having ECVs/WCs stay out of the standard queue at DHS, Epcot, and AK.

Please don't park your scooter with the strollers. There are separate areas for each. If you aren't sure where to park it, feel free to ask a CM. They will advise where to park it. Chances are if you leave it in a stroller area (as my CM family member says) "it will get towed to the appropriate area" and then you spend more time walking around looking for it. My family has spent quite a bit of time towing improperly parked ECVs and strollers!
I am going to say that everyone should be prepared to have their scooted towed to "another" area. This will happen even when you ask where you should park. One CM will tell you one place, the next CM will want it in another place.

The only time you can be sure of where it your scooter is located, is when you are on it or when you leave it as you board a ride. Oh, and of course when it is in your room. I've had mine moved during table service meals. I've had it moved from one side of scooter parking to another. I've had it moved from scooter parking to stroller parking. It has been moved during a counter service meal. I've come back to it and had people sitting on it. Just know that you will have to spend some time looking for your scooter.

I am going to say that everyone should be prepared to have their scooted towed to "another" area. This will happen even when you ask where you should park. One CM will tell you one place, the next CM will want it in another place.

Yup, this is exactly what happened to me once. And no one seemed to know where it was. Fortunately I had my cane, so I could walk a few feet. I just made my way over to the nearest suit, told him my problem, then let him find my scooter. Apparently another CM saw it where the CM told me to park it, decided it shouldn't be there, and moved it elsewhere.

The only time you can be sure of where it your scooter is located, is when you are on it or when you leave it as you board a ride. Oh, and of course when it is in your room. I've had mine moved during table service meals. I've had it moved from one side of scooter parking to another. I've had it moved from scooter parking to stroller parking. It has been moved during a counter service meal. I've come back to it and had people sitting on it. Just know that you will have to spend some time looking for your scooter.

Not saying that didn't happen to you, But it has not happened to me with the exception of inside an attraction where they will move it from the boarding area to where you get off. I am a frequent visitor and I own my equipment. Maybe that is why mine has never been moved (more than a few feet to make room for others/reorganize them) but probably not the reason it has not been moved. But I am careful about where I park it. I have never had mine with the strollers (unless there was a stroller with a WC tag) mixed in with the ECVs. I know the key is asking a CM who knows the right answer...which should be all, but obviously isn't.

Not saying that didn't happen to you, But it has not happened to me with the exception of inside an attraction where they will move it from the boarding area to where you get off. I am a frequent visitor and I own my equipment. Maybe that is why mine has never been moved (more than a few feet to make room for others/reorganize them) but probably not the reason it has not been moved. But I am careful about where I park it. I have never had mine with the strollers (unless there was a stroller with a WC tag) mixed in with the ECVs. I know the key is asking a CM who knows the right answer...which should be all, but obviously isn't.
This happens the most often at Epcot. It could be that there seems to be fewer scooter lots there.

I don't know. I just know that I seem to chase my scooter around the park. (Certainly exaggerating, it really only gets moved a few times a day.)

This is very true - and a great argument for bringing along a brightly colored bandana or length of ribbon to tie on a rental unit; it will help you locate it quicker in a sea of virtually identical rental units.

If I take the key with me, how do the CM's move the scooter?
All ECVs have the capability to be placed in "free wheel" mode. Most units have a lever on the base near the rear wheels that when "flipped" allow a person to push the unit. Some units that lever is located elsewhere. If you come back to your unit and it does not operate correctly, check that lever to make sure it is "engaged" and not in freewheel mode. Every once in a great while a CM while forget to flip the lever back after moving a unit.

This happened to my friend we parked her ECV where the people mover is there is a sign that says something like no stroller parking only ECV ( or something like that) we did buzz and came back and it was in the stroller parking, it has happened a few other times too. My friend and I go down a good but together and pretty much know where to park it.

Wow - thank you very much for the detailed response. Very helpful.
a couple of other tips during the day fold the seat down when leaving ECV in stroller parking seat will not be as hot when you return and second cover controls and seat when leaving if rain in forecast. I would take with you in lines as mush as possible as it gives her a chance to rest. she will need to walk or use a wheelchair at a couple of rides Pirates is the one that comes to mind

A post on another thread indicates Scooter Bug rents for only 1 day. Might be worth a call.

Yes I have used Scooter Bug twice to rent just for the day.

Now they will NOT drop off a scooter to any park. So if you are not staying at a hotel or just going for the day it is a little tricky.

The workaround that I have used is, you make a breakfast reservation at one of the hotels. AS long as you have some kind of reservation at the hotel Scooter Bug will leave the scooter with the bellhop.

So I have had breakfast at the Poly and picked up my scooter right before breakfast and used it for the day around the parks. You can even pay the day fee and leave you car with the valet at the hotel.

I have a question about ECV's and restaurants. Can you ride them into the restaurants? I can't walk very far and won't be able to park outside and wait in line. I'd need to rest and sit down. Are there accommodations for that?

I have a question about ECV's and restaurants. Can you ride them into the restaurants? I can't walk very far and won't be able to park outside and wait in line. I'd need to rest and sit down. Are there accommodations for that?
I know that a wheelchair would fit. But I feel like, most places, the line is pretty enclosed and crowded. I might be able to get the scooter in, but I don't know how I would get it out.

I normally let my husband order or I park and get in line at counter service.

are you asking about quick service yes but some of the spaces are crowded and can be hard to move in.

table survice I would tell the CM when you are checking in that you can not walk fair they should be able to
A get you a table close to where you do not have to walk fair

B let you ( if there is enough room) ride your ECV to your table ( or close to your table) and get into a chair and then the CM can park your ECV for you.

C have a wheel chair for you to use if need be.

I would get to any table service ( ADR) a little earlier then you normally would have so that they can get you the table you need,
you may have to wait longer for a table but you should be able to sit in your ECV, ( This might be a good time to top off the batteries if they need it)

I can't walk long distances unassisted now, however I rarely need to drive my ECV into a restaurant at WDW.

You should be able to sit and wait for your table on the ECV; typically the parking areas for the ECVs are very near the host/hostess stand. You won't have to stand and wait - just let the CM know you have to sit until it is time to go to the table.

You can also ask for a table nearest the door, although you may have to wait for that.

If it is helpful to you, you can always carry a cane (I have a folding cane I use for travel, very handy) on the ECV.

Some of the dining venues can accomodate an ECV to a point that is *close* to the table, but you will still have to walk a bit. In particular, places like Sci-Fi at HS, Le Cellier at Epcot, etc.

Many of the restaurants at WDW are able to accommodate the ECV to the table, however, you may want to have a member of your party drive the ECV out front and park it for the duration of the meal, after you are seated (there will be ample space to park it, and the CM's can point out where your driver will park it) and then go get it, and come back at the end of the meal to pick you up.

I've always taken mine in the room to charge and had plenty of space. We stay at Pop Century 90% of the time. I have also seen plenty of them charging in the hall there overnight, so it's not just the luxury resorts that you can do this.

Also, if renting from the parks, there is still a long walk to and from the buses and your room. Add to that standing in the lines for the buses and that may be too much for your wife with recent hip surgery.

All of the buses carry at least 2 ECV and on our most recent trip, I saw many that were equipped to take three. Tell your wife to not worry, just do what she needs to do and enjoy vacation! I have never noticed anyone giving me dirty looks. In fact, I've had people be exceptionally nice to me while riding one.
I see that you have stayed at Pop Century with a scooter. My niece and I are both renting a scooter and staying at Pop Century, and wonder if there would be room for both scooters in the room? I know that my travel agent said that we could leave them outside our room in the hallway, but I would feel better if we could get both in the room. This is the first time I have ever used one, but my niece has rented one before at Disneyland. I am a little nervous about loading it on the buses, but I figure if I have trouble I could ask the bus driver to help me.

I see that you have stayed at Pop Century with a scooter. My niece and I are both renting a scooter and staying at Pop Century, and wonder if there would be room for both scooters in the room? I know that my travel agent said that we could leave them outside our room in the hallway, but I would feel better if we could get both in the room. This is the first time I have ever used one, but my niece has rented one before at Disneyland. I am a little nervous about loading it on the buses, but I figure if I have trouble I could ask the bus driver to help me.
I stay at pop a lot and there should be room for 2 in the room you may have to have the table and chair removed to make room for the second one ( witch can be done) but I would not leave them out at night there really is not a lot of room in out side, I have had a hard time getting in my room due to scooter being out side ( and I do not have a mobility problem so I have no clue how someone with one would do)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter