• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time DVC vacation

mzade

Earning My Ears
Hi there, this is my first time posting in a looonnggg while and it's my first time going to Disney as an official DVC member. I am so excited. I own in BLT but for reasons out of my control (my sister coming along with most of her kids, my mom, and my daughter) I was only able to get a villa in the AK Jamba house, as BLT was booked by the time I finalized plans. I was told this is a way better place to stay with kids anyway. I am so looking forward to coming this year and I even scheduled the Christmas party on Nov 30 my birthday. :cool1:

I have been to Disney many times however this is my first Christmas trip. Are there any must sees? I haven't purchased tickets yet since we are not sure how many times we will want to visit the parks and I am not interested in plunking down money for days we won't use. I am thinking we will buy our tickets there on a need basis...?

I am also thinking of packing non perishable food in my carry on or suitcase and having other items delivered once we are there. Any thoughts? :confused3

I know this is an open ended post but I am so excited and so geared up (we leave in 12 days) that I am certain I am missing something in the planning and I want to make sure I see as much as possible in the 6 days we will be there. Last year we were chosen to be a First Family which blew my mom away, I am sure I won't be able to top that vacation memory but since it's Christmas time I was hoping to make this a very special vacation for my family. :santa:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!. have a magical day.

Osborne Family Spectacle of lights is a great experience. The decorate a whole street with Christmas lights that dance to music and then there is snow. I love going to Disney during the holidays...it's beautiful.:goodvibes

:) You could also get one of the Photopass photographers (or other Disney Photographer) to do a session with your family in front of the Christmas tree at AKV. We just returned from Kidani 11/04 and it was awesome as always. Have a great trip.

Oh the Christmas lights sound wonderful. My Mom decorates her house, well like a Christmas tree, she might get a kick out of seeing how it's done Disney style. :lmao: Is that part of admission or do I need special tickets?

That photo in front of the tree sounds really cool, what a great keepsake. I already have my photopass ready, I am usually the photographer and that photopass is a great way to get myself in some pictures.

Thanks for those great ideas.

Hi there, this is my first time posting in a looonnggg while and it's my first time going to Disney as an official DVC member. I am so excited. I own in BLT but for reasons out of my control (my sister coming along with most of her kids, my mom, and my daughter) I was only able to get a villa in the AK Jamba house, as BLT was booked by the time I finalized plans. I was told this is a way better place to stay with kids anyway. I am so looking forward to coming this year and I even scheduled the Christmas party on Nov 30 my birthday. :cool1:

I have been to Disney many times however this is my first Christmas trip. Are there any must sees? I haven't purchased tickets yet since we are not sure how many times we will want to visit the parks and I am not interested in plunking down money for days we won't use. I am thinking we will buy our tickets there on a need basis...?

I am also thinking of packing non perishable food in my carry on or suitcase and having other items delivered once we are there. Any thoughts? :confused3

I know this is an open ended post but I am so excited and so geared up (we leave in 12 days) that I am certain I am missing something in the planning and I want to make sure I see as much as possible in the 6 days we will be there. Last year we were chosen to be a First Family which blew my mom away, I am sure I won't be able to top that vacation memory but since it's Christmas time I was hoping to make this a very special vacation for my family. :santa:

I actually like Kidani pool better for the kids. Luckily, you can use both as they have a shuttle that will take you there. If you are considering food delivery, I wouldn't bother packing any of the food. Do you have a savanna view? It was amazing when we were there a few weeks ago. :cloud9: I was really moved by the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. I was able to stand right outside the theater and could see and hear it perfectly which was great since my son was asleep in his carriage. The Osborne Lights at HS were also great. We also loved the Storytellers at Epcot. We have a bunch of great pictures of my children with all of the different "Santa's". Have fun!

Osborne Lights in DHS is a part of Park admission.

Another thing you might want to do if you're thinking of limiting Park time, is to tour the Resorts and see how each one does Christmas decorating differently.

Also if you think you might be back to WDW sometime before these travel dates in 2012, you might want to look into getting an Annual Pass

Check out the gingerbread scenes at the Grand Floridian and Beach Club. Theres the Candle Light Processinal...I think it's free to get into, but you'd have to get in the stand by line way before the show (like an hour).

I am thinking we will buy our tickets there on a need basis...?

Uhm, unless you plan on upgrading them day by day, I don't think this is feasable or possible...Each additional day is only like $5-10 or something like that... so really an extra day or so isn't going to change the ticket price that much after the initial 3 days...unless you had something different in mind.

I have been to Disney many times however this is my first Christmas trip. Are there any must sees? I haven't purchased tickets yet since we are not sure how many times we will want to visit the parks and I am not interested in plunking down money for days we won't use. I am thinking we will buy our tickets there on a need basis...?I am also thinking of packing non perishable food in my carry on or suitcase and having other items delivered once we are there. Any thoughts? :confused3

You may want to rethink this part about buying tickets on an as need basis. We this last year and one day decided to park hop. Buying hopper passes for the 4 of us cost $579 for one day!!!:scared1: We decided NEVER AGAIN!! Knowing we will be returning over the years, I purchased us all 10 day park hopper no expiration waterpark included tickets for $2600.00. Yes it is a large intial outlay but gives us so many more entries for our hard earned dollars!!:thumbsup2

Uhm, unless you plan on upgrading them day by day, I don't think this is feasable or possible...Each additional day is only like $5-10 or something like that... so really an extra day or so isn't going to change the ticket price that much after the initial 3 days...unless you had something different in mind.

It depends on the number of days. The longer the ticket, the less it costs to add on a day. For example, the price to add a day on a 2 day ticket is much greater than on a 7 day ticket.

Agreed. Look at the ticke prices. a one day is "insane" $85. a 3 day drops that by 7 bucks a day. and a 6 day drops that per day price by half. Multiple days is best and besides, you will want to go more than one day. Not sure if you did dining plan but we always do. Im a pastry chef though and were kinda foodies so we find it to be best deal as we eat most signature dinign places.

Thats the thing, we have admission one day for the Christmas party, then I thought two more days/two tickets. We will be spending one day over at the other park with "he who must not be named" LOL so that only leaves two days and those could be our arrival and departure days which I figure we would use for touring the hotel etc.

Check out the gingerbread scenes at the Grand Floridian and Beach Club. Theres the Candle Light Processinal...I think it's free to get into, but you'd have to get in the stand by line way before the show (like an hour).

the gingerbread sounds like fun...the kids will love that, great idea! thanks

You may want to rethink this part about buying tickets on an as need basis. We this last year and one day decided to park hop. Buying hopper passes for the 4 of us cost $579 for one day!!!:scared1: We decided NEVER AGAIN!! Knowing we will be returning over the years, I purchased us all 10 day park hopper no expiration waterpark included tickets for $2600.00. Yes it is a large intial outlay but gives us so many more entries for our hard earned dollars!!:thumbsup2

That is a LOT of initial layout. But it might be a good idea for my daughter and I, we seem to go at least every other year, now with the ownership I am sure it will be more than that...Maybe I will let everyone else chose their limit but get us a hopper with no expiration. thanks

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. I am even more excited now!
:thumbsup2

Not sure of the ages of children you'll have with you, but my kids really enjoyed learning about how the different countries in Epcot celebrate Christmas. My girls were 8 and 9 at the time. The Osbourne Lights at DHS are spectacular, and in my opinion, Wishes is not to be missed.

DW and I have been every year since '93 between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We take this trip to get away from the holiday's bump and grind and enjoy the holiday season for ourselves.
Last year we stayed at AKL-CL, the decorations at the resort are great.
Some of out favorite things to do on our trips are:
EPCOT - CP, take a look at the decorations at each of the pavilions
MGM - OFODL
Resorts - Do a monorail tour of GF, Poly, and CR; Do a walking tour of BWV, BC, YC, Dolphin, and Swan; decorations at all of them are always great.

We just returned from Jambo yesterday. You and your family will love it. especially the kids. The view of the animals from the balcony's is great. The best time for the animals we found was in the evening just as the sun was setting or shortly after the sun has gone down. The animals seem to be more active then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter