First Time Dining Reporter, but Long Time Eater - Updated 2/21 (Toy Story Pizza)

Mmmm we liked CHH, too! We sat upstairs at apparently one of the "magical moments" tables and had all of the napkins and condiments right at our table. A CM even came over and offered to clear our trays! We liked it more for the atmosphere though, than for the food.
The atmosphere was great, and we thought it was a nice alternative to the regular burgers and hotdogs you get at a lot of the other QS places in the Magic Kingdom. :thumbsup2

Subscribing! It's fun to hear from a first time DDP user.
Welcome! I tried to do my homework as much as possible before we left, but you'll probably get a kick out of some of the rookie mistakes we made! :rotfl:

On Sunday evening we made our way through the drizzling rain to Norway, to eat dinner at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall.
WaltDisneyWorld165.jpg

This was our first character meal, and I was really excited to see the princesses (yes, this one was really just for me). Fortunately, my boys are too young to complain that princesses are too girly for them ;). And, as it turns out, they aren’t too manly for princesses. They were enchanted as soon as they saw Belle.
WaltDisneyWorld176.jpg

We were seated in the turret room of the Castle. What a great location! It was just off the main dining room, and it was quieter and more intimate (only four tables in there). While we were waiting, we looked over the menu:
WaltDisneyWorld178.jpg

Our server, Kristine, welcomed us, explained about the cold bar, and took our drink orders – Coke (DH), Iced Tea with lemon (me), water (DS6), and Apple Juice (DS2). She also nicely explained that even though DS2 was not on the dining plan, he could go ahead and order an entrée at no charge since this was considered a family-style dinner. She told us that the princesses would not be around for a little bit and to go ahead and get something to eat. I went up first to get some food for the boys, and took some careful mental notes as to what was on the cold bar. It is set up in five stations. The outside two are identical, offering a mixed green salad, three different kinds of rolls, small balls of butter, and four dressings – ranch, blue cheese, a zinfandel vinaigrette, and an herbal vinaigrette. The second stations on either side are also identical, containing pasta salad, potato salad, beet salad, cucumber salad, grilled asparagus, mixed fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple, and grapes), cubed Swiss cheese, cube Muenster cheese, thinly sliced salami, turkey, roast beef, and a horseradish cream sauce. The center station contained all of the fish and seafood items, including pickled herring, a whole side of smoked salmon with the trimmings (lemons, dill, capers, etc.), smoked whitefish, shrimp salad, peel-and-eat boiled shrimp, and thinly sliced lox. Is your mouth watering yet? I piled the boys’ plates with salad, cheese, rolls, butter, fruit, and cold cuts, and sent DH up to get his own plate (have you ever noticed that Mom always eats last? :confused3). Finally, I got to pile up my own plate with green salad, pasta salad, potato salad, beet salad, asparagus, shrimp salad, and a few peel and eat shrimp. I also took some extra cheese and salami (for DS6) and extra salad (for DS2). I have to say that I could have made a meal out of the cold bar (it would have made a fabulous light lunch)! Everything was fresh and tasty, and we all cleaned our plates!

It’s probably just as well that our entrees came at that point, otherwise I would have filled up on salads. I had ordered the Mustard-glazed Seared Salmon, which came with roasted carrots, fingerling potatoes and a mustard-shallot drizzle.
WaltDisneyWorld179.jpg

Oh my, this was one of the best things that I ate all week! :love: The mustard glaze was sweet with just the right amount of spicy heat from the mustard. There were three different colors of carrots that had been roasted and sliced into rounds. The fingerling potatoes were yellow potatoes with the skins still on – buttery and soft. The drizzle contained not only mustard and shallot, but also honey and some type of citrus for a touch of acidity. DH ordered the Traditional Kjottkake - Ground Beef and Pork Dumplings served with mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and lingonberry gravy. He said that the meatballs were good – moist and well seasoned, and that the mashed potatoes were also tasty. He couldn’t make up his mind about the lingonberry gravy, though. He didn’t think it was bad, just a different flavor than what he was used to. His asparagus mysteriously appeared on my plate :lmao: (did I mention his dislike of most vegatables?). I thought it was delicious. DS6 ordered the kids’ cheese pizza. It was a bit small and had no side dishes, so I was glad that he had eaten quite a bit of food from the cold bar earlier. DS2 ordered a hotdog, which came with corn and a small dish of ketchup.

We were just getting into our entrees when some of the princesses started to make their way around to our part of the restaurant. On this night, we got Aurora, Ariel, Cinderella, and Snow White. :thumbsup2 Although the princesses all came around at the same time, they were well spaced so that we had plenty of time to talk to them and take pictures.
WaltDisneyWorld181.jpg

WaltDisneyWorld183.jpg

WaltDisneyWorld188.jpg

WaltDisneyWorld191.jpg

After the princesses left and our plates were all cleared, we got the family plate of assorted desserts – Chocolate Mousse Cake, Rice Cream with Strawberry Sauce, and Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream. My absolute favorite was the rice cream. If you like rice pudding, this is the dessert for you! It was so creamy and smooth and rich – I wish I had a bowl of it right now! :cloud9: DH and the boys tried it, but didn’t like it (what a shame!), but they LOVED the chocolate mousse cake. It had a deep, rich chocolaty flavor, and I only got one bite, because DS6 stole the rest of it while I was eating the rice cream. They also liked the ice cream and caramel sauce of the apple tart, but not the tart itself. I agreed. The apples were well flavored with sugar and cinnamon, but the crust was too thick and heavy. At that point, we were all so stuffed it didn’t matter anyway.
Overall, I would say that Akershus was one of the best meals we had all week (top three for sure)! The food was fantastic, and getting to see the princesses without standing in line for an hour was more than worth the price of admission! I would definitely eat here again! :cool1: :banana:

Total cost: $102 (before tip) 3TS credits

Glad to hear you liked Akershus--that salmon is really something, isn't it?

It's a shame they've changed desserts--it used to come with school bread instead of the apple thing.

Yum! My mouth is watering!!!
It was so good! Definitely a must do for next time!

We've always liked their food! Great pictures!
Thank you! This was a last minute substitution when we found out that Crystal Palace would be closed - lucky us!

Glad to hear you liked Akershus--that salmon is really something, isn't it?

It's a shame they've changed desserts--it used to come with school bread instead of the apple thing.
I know! On All Ears they had it listed as a lingonberry tart for lunch - I would have liked to have tried that. I DID get to try a school bread, but that's for another post. ;)

Such cute pictures of your boys :thumbsup2
Your salmon dish looks yummy
Thank you! The boys really liked hanging out with the princesses (and, of course, the princesses made a big fuss over them).

The Akershus food never really appealed to us, but I LOVE how much your boys cuddled up to the princesses! Such cute pictures :goodvibes

The Akershus food never really appealed to us, but I LOVE how much your boys cuddled up to the princesses! Such cute pictures :goodvibes

Thank you! It was so funny when DS6 would have conversations with them, like this one with Princess Aurora: "I know karate (he's been taking lessons). Does your Prince know karate?" "Oh, no. My Prince uses a sword and shield. I'm sure he would like to see your karate moves sometime, though, if you are ever in our kingdom. Then perhaps he could show you how to defend yourself against a dragon." :rotfl2: :lmao:

Fun review!

As for getting DHs to know what they want to eat 180 days from the trip date, just do what you did! I broke my husband in 7 years ago and now he actually want an opinion in the planning!!

Fun review!

As for getting DHs to know what they want to eat 180 days from the trip date, just do what you did! I broke my husband in 7 years ago and now he actually want an opinion in the planning!!

Welcome! My DH didn't ask any questions about the food plans until we got to WDW- he's a trusting soul! :rotfl2:

After eating at Akershus, DH (who almost never drinks anything alcoholic) lamented that maybe he should have gotten one of those yummy looking Viking Coffee drinks on the menu. Well, being the well-informed DISer that I am, I marched him over to:
WaltDisneyWorld167.jpg

Of course, while he was getting a Viking Coffee, I had to get one of these:
IMG_7061.jpg

(This is a borrowed picture, I forgot to take one :sad2:)

It’s official, I have now joined the ranks of school bread lovers! Yummy!! :cloud9:
School Bread - 1 Snack Credit
Viking Coffee - $8.25 OOP

On Monday (2/1) we went to Hollywood Studios. DHS didn’t exist the last time I went to Disney World, so this was a completely new park for me. Although the day simply started out cloudy, by 10:00 it was raining, and by 11:30 we were ready for lunch (and a little warmth :cold:). Since we had just seen the Muppets and were in that general area, we decided to go to Toy Story Pizza Planet.

ToyStoryPizzaPlanet.jpg

Now I know this place always gets mixed reviews, but it was a welcome haven for four damp and hungry people :umbrella:. We ordered our food and headed upstairs, hoping to find a quieter table (the video game arcade makes the downstairs area quite noisy).

I ordered the vegetable pizza, with mushrooms, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, with a side salad, and a bottle of water. The pizza was a single-serving sized pizza, with plenty of sauce and cheese. The vegetables were not overcooked, and had a spicy, peppery flavor that added a welcome bit of heat. The salad was your basic Disney side salad with lettuce, shredded carrots, and two slices of cucumber. Since I was getting vegetables on my pizza, I didn’t protest too loudly when DS2 ate most of it (did I mention that he loves salad? :rotfl2:). DH ordered the pepperoni pizza with a side salad and a Coke. The boys each got a kids’ cheese pizza, grapes, and a chocolate chip cookie. DH and I both agreed that it wasn’t the best pizza we’ve ever eaten and it wasn’t the worst. It was decent pizza, but we decided that we would probably try something else the next time we were in DHS. The best part of the meal was the dessert – Mickey Head Rice Krispy Treats! Yes, I know that I can make these at home any time, but for some reason they taste extra good in the shape of a Mickey head :lmao:. Overall, I would rate Toy Story Pizza Planet as being pretty average. While the food was certainly edible, none of it was outstanding.

Total Cost: $38 (3 QS Credits)
Plus: $4.99 for one kids’ cheese pizza meal for DS2 (OOP)

We LOVEE Pizza Planet! We think the other CS options in DHS are disgusting-- I'm a NYer, so I can be very judgemental about pizza, but I actually thought their pizza was fresh and hot. Mmmm, could go for one right now!

We LOVEE Pizza Planet! We think the other CS options in DHS are disgusting-- I'm a NYer, so I can be very judgemental about pizza, but I actually thought their pizza was fresh and hot. Mmmm, could go for one right now!

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest either. You are certainly right about the rest of the QS in DHS, though (as we will see later in this report...)!

Thanks for the great report - we are leaving in less than 2 weeks and I hadn't decided on CS yet - you are helping a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter