First Time DCL Cruiser Needs Help

I thank you for the comment as the moderator. I'm not trying to be combative, but my feelings are if you don't experience limited mobility: DON'T ANSWER QUESTIONS REGARDING LIMITED MOBILITY!!

I've always wanted to travel with DCL since 1992 when it was the BIG RED BOAT!! I could never justify paying that amount of money as a single person. BUT after 2 years of the lockdown and losing my younger brother in 2019, I'M GOING TO LIVE AND ENJOY MY LIFE TO THE FULLEST!!

People who don't have limited mobility themselves may have very valid opinions to offer, based on the experience of others they have traveled with or on information they have collected over the years. Please don't discount what they have to offer just because they themselves do not have limited mobility.

Plus, unless someone explicitly says the don't have mobility issues, you have no way of knowing if they do or don't. Nor do you know if they travel with someone who does or doesn't, or have in the past.

So, have you considered WHERE you want to cruise with DCL to ?? Someonw telling you about great excursions they had in Alaska won't help much if you have your heart set on sailing to the Bahamas.

I suggest you browse the DCL website and take a look at their destinations and port excursions for their destinations and get a feel for where you want to sail. You can then ask more focussed and informed questions.

Finally, a couple years ago, DCL announced a partnership with Accessible Travel Solutions that allows Disney Cruise Line to offer 39 limited-mobility Port Adventures in 26 countries; see: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/new-port-adventures-accessible-travel-solutions/ I have not read all the details, but I believe they are wheelchair accessible, but may not necessarily be ECV accessible -- you will have to read the "fine print".

Some excursions can accommodate EVCs, others can't. You have to read the excursion descriptions to find which ones those are.
Some excursions may accommodate and ECV, but I'll be honest and say it is probably relatively few. A manual wheelchair may get you a little further, especially if you can self-propel or have someone to push. Accessibility for excursions may depend on the port and specific excursion. Keep in mind that many Caribbean islands are not anywhere near as accessible as we are accustomed to here in the US. There may be cobblestones instead of smooth pavement, no curbcuts, older cities may have stairs or steps without ramps. Transportation may be the biggest hurdle for using an ECV in ports. Often the transportation to an excursion is an open-air trolley kind of vehicle, or taxis.
Even if an excursion is described as being able to take using a manual wheelchair, it may not actually be. I don't remember which port or excursion right now, but my wife uses a manual, collapsible wheelchair, since she has difficulty walking longer distances. We booked an excursion based on the description. Once we went to board the bus at the beginning, they told us they could not take her chair with us. We went on the excursion and tried to make the best of it (she tried using her cane to walk when necessary) Fortunately, there was a DCL crew member on the excursion with us, and at the last stop (if I remember correctly), she no longer was able to keep up. He arrange for a cart to pick her up.

The other link that Starwind listed about the DCL port adventures has useful information. You can select excursions by port. On each excursion page, there is a link called "Know before you go" that has information that everyone should read before booking an excursion, whether they have mobility issues or not--it just gives greater detail as to what the excursion entails and whether or not ECVs or manual wheelchairs can be accommodated. I did jut glance through some offerings for Caribbean cruises and there seem to be several more options listed with a specific header of 'accessible' than I recall seeing in the past.

Even if an excursion is described as being able to take using a manual wheelchair, it may not actually be. I don't remember which port or excursion right now, but my wife uses a manual, collapsible wheelchair, since she has difficulty walking longer distances. We booked an excursion based on the description. Once we went to board the bus at the beginning, they told us they could not take her chair with us. We went on the excursion and tried to make the best of it (she tried using her cane to walk when necessary) Fortunately, there was a DCL crew member on the excursion with us, and at the last stop (if I remember correctly), she no longer was able to keep up. He arrange for a cart to pick her up.

Thanks CM DAD!!

This is the kind of information I'm seeking! And since I'm traveling alone I would not risk it. I'm interested in the sub ride and I need to know what to do with my baby! (I named my scooter Sarabi Pride, but I call her baby!)

I wanted to try ONE excursion in each port: Cozumel, George Town and Falmouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter