First Time DCL Cruiser Needs Help

Rantybaby

Mouseketeer
IS the gratuity part of the cruise price? If not, is there a VISUAL post of the RECOMMENDED breakdown? I'm traveling Dec 2nd-9th, 2022 out of Galveston, TX. SO, I want everything paid off in advance.

ALSO, has anyone done the excursions using an ECV?

Last edited:
IS the gratuity part of the cruise price? If not, is there a VISUAL post of the RECOMMENDED breakdown? I'm traveling Dec 2nd-9th, 2022 out of Galveston, TX. SO, I want everything paid off in advance.

ALSO, has anyone done the excursions using an EVC?
I answered you on the other thread you asked:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...tipping-threads….3849909/page-2#post-63307015
Dining room server - $4.50 per guest per night
Assistant server - $3.50 per guest per night
Head server - $1.00 per guest per night
Room host - $4.50 per guest per night

You can overpay your cruise cost and the overage will be applied to your onboard account. Gratuities are charged to your onboard account.

Some excursions can accommodate EVCs, others can't. You have to read the excursion descriptions to find which ones those are.

I like this calculator. Just change the number of nights and people to what is applicable to you. It starts with ***************** before the net.

https://www.*****************.net/PublicForms/CruiseGratuityCalculator.aspx

UGH I CANNOT GIVE YOU THE LINK! So frustrating. Send me a PM if you want it. It’s a calculator based on your nights and number of people.

[QUOTE:

Where did YOU get these numbers from? I should not have to OVERPAY then rely on someone else doing the right thing!
Regarding the excursions, I'm getting conflicting information. So I'm asking another person who may have been impacted by the same situation to tell me how they handled it!!

Ma'am, thank you for your information. But, it was not helpful!!

[QUOTE:
Room host - $4.50 per guest per nightW

Where did YOU get these numbers from? I should not have to OVERPAY then rely on someone else doing the right thing!

You can overpay your cruise cost and the overage will be applied to your onboard account. Gratuities are charged to your onboard account.

Some excursions can accommodate EVCs, others can't. You have to read the excursion descriptions to find which ones those are.

Regarding the excursions, I'm getting conflicting information. So I'm asking another person who may have been impacted by the same situation to tell me how they handled it!!
But each excursion is a different and many are operated by different tour operators. If you post which excursions you are interested in people may be better able to help you.

I like this calculator. Just change the number of nights and people to what is applicable to you. It starts with ***************** before the net.

https://www.*****************.net/PublicForms/CruiseGratuityCalculator.aspx

UGH I CANNOT GIVE YOU THE LINK! So frustrating. Send me a PM if you want it. It’s a calculator based on your nights and number of people.

Thanks, "MouseinMelbourne"! But, that link seems to be no good!!

BTW, what's the weather like in Melbourne RIGHT NOW? 🤔🤔

Thanks, "MouseinMelbourne"! But, that link seems to be no good!!

BTW, what's the weather like in Melbourne RIGHT NOW? 🤔🤔

Yeah, I didn’t realize it was a banned site. Sorry about that. Maybe just Google for a tip calculator?

Today the weather is gross. 90, raining, and humid. lol I’m not Melbourne, Australia. I’m Melbourne, FL. About an hour from the Mouse House and 20 minutes from the port.

What @PrincessShmoo posted are the gratuities recommended by DCL. These are the amounts that will be auto-charged to your onboard account for each night of your cruise. You are welcome to adjust any if you feel it's appropriate.

As for "overpay" -- it's simply the wording. You can "pre-pay" the amount equal to the recommended gratuities (or more). It won't be specifically earmarked for gratuities, but it will essentially pre-fund your onboard account for that amount so when the gratuities are charged you won't have any balance due.

Other gratuities that you may need to consider are for onboard spa (automatic 18% gratuity charged with the service, adult beverages and/or specialty beverages (15% and I think they automatically add it to the tab), room service (recommended $1-$2 per item ordered, at your discretion). Also you may want to tip for excursions.

[QUOTE:

Ma'am, thank you for your information. But, it was not helpful!!
Sorry you didn't find it helpful. That's the amount that DCL will charge your onboard account each day for gratuities. You can calculate yourself how much it will be in your case and pay that to DCL pre-cruise. Will not show as "cruise payment". But it will be added to your onboard account as a credit.

ALSO, has anyone done the excursions using an EVC?
Some excursions may accommodate and ECV, but I'll be honest and say it is probably relatively few. A manual wheelchair may get you a little further, especially if you can self-propel or have someone to push. Accessibility for excursions may depend on the port and specific excursion. Keep in mind that many Caribbean islands are not anywhere near as accessible as we are accustomed to here in the US. There may be cobblestones instead of smooth pavement, no curbcuts, older cities may have stairs or steps without ramps. Transportation may be the biggest hurdle for using an ECV in ports. Often the transportation to an excursion is an open-air trolley kind of vehicle, or taxis.

Yeah, I didn’t realize it was a banned site. Sorry about that. Maybe just Google for a tip calculator?

Today the weather is gross. 90, raining, and humid. lol I’m not Melbourne, Australia. I’m Melbourne, FL. About an hour from the Mouse House and 20 minutes from the port.

🤣🤣 MouseinMelbourne, I forgot there's a Melbourne, Florida!! When I read your message it cracked me up, and got me out the funk I was in! Thank you for the laugh!!🤣🤣

What @PrincessShmoo posted are the gratuities recommended by DCL. These are the amounts that will be auto-charged to your onboard account for each night of your cruise. You are welcome to adjust any if you feel it's appropriate.

As for "overpay" -- it's simply the wording. You can "pre-pay" the amount equal to the recommended gratuities (or more). It won't be specifically earmarked for gratuities, but it will essentially pre-fund your onboard account for that amount so when the gratuities are charged you won't have any balance due.

Other gratuities that you may need to consider are for onboard spa (automatic 18% gratuity charged with the service, adult beverages and/or specialty beverages (15% and I think they automatically add it to the tab), room service (recommended $1-$2 per item ordered, at your discretion). Also you may want to tip for excursions.
LaneJudy,
I was questioning where those numbers come from. At one time I remember seeing a chart of the daily breakdown. I'm a visual person especially when it comes to my money!! 😉😉

Some excursions may accommodate and ECV, but I'll be honest and say it is probably relatively few. A manual wheelchair may get you a little further, especially if you can self-propel or have someone to push. Accessibility for excursions may depend on the port and specific excursion. Keep in mind that many Caribbean islands are not anywhere near as accessible as we are accustomed to here in the US. There may be cobblestones instead of smooth pavement, no curbcuts, older cities may have stairs or steps without ramps. Transportation may be the biggest hurdle for using an ECV in ports. Often the transportation to an excursion is an open-air trolley kind of vehicle, or taxis.
I thank you for the comment as the moderator. I'm not trying to be combative, but my feelings are if you don't experience limited mobility: DON'T ANSWER QUESTIONS REGARDING LIMITED MOBILITY!!

I've always wanted to travel with DCL since 1992 when it was the BIG RED BOAT!! I could never justify paying that amount of money as a single person. BUT after 2 years of the lockdown and losing my younger brother in 2019, I'M GOING TO LIVE AND ENJOY MY LIFE TO THE FULLEST!!

DCL has gratuity information on their website in a table:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/
I have mobility issues but do not need to use an ECV on cruises (yet; I do need an ECV at WDW; I do not need one at home).

Most DCL port adventures are NOT ECV compatible. This can be for any of a range of reasons as noted by one of the previous posters. More are manual wheelchair accessible, but even those are limited in number.

On the DCL website they have descriptions for each port adventure. On the port adventure's individual page they will have information about whether a given port adventure is wheelchair or ECV accessible and notes about restrictions or limitations. DCL port adventures info: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/overview/

Also, many of the port adventures are similar or identical to port excursions offered by other cruise lines [in a given port, the cruise lines will often use the same excursion providers often with the same or very similar set of tours]. When they are similar, often Disney may have a slight variation to "disney-fy" it, the difference may be somewhat minor and you can usually figure it out by reading the descripton. So, if you narrow down to a short list of port adventures you are interested in, you can then do some Googling of them and see if other cruise lines basically offer the same ones and then see if you can find reviews of the equivalents from cruisers on those other lines - it will open up your options for information-gathering.

You may find some useful information at the Cruising With Wheels youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Cruisingwithwheels/featured . Per their "about": "We are a married couple with one of us in a wheelchair. We find cruising to be the best option for our vacations. Our channel focuses on everything about cruising and primarily handicap accessibility. You will find ship accessibility, cabin tours, ship tours, shore excursions, vlogs of our adventures as well as other useful informational videos." I find them useful for general cruising info as well as special needs tips. They often do NOT do cruise line port excursions when in port so you will get some good ideas about options of things to do and how to plan things to do in port from them.

Hope this helps.

SW

DCL has gratuity information on their website in a table:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/
I have mobility issues but do not need to use an ECV on cruises (yet; I do need an ECV at WDW; I do not need one at home).

Most DCL port adventures are NOT ECV compatible. This can be for any of a range of reasons as noted by one of the previous posters. More are manual wheelchair accessible, but even those are limited in number.

On the DCL website they have descriptions for each port adventure. On the port adventure's individual page they will have information about whether a given port adventure is wheelchair or ECV accessible and notes about restrictions or limitations. DCL port adventures info: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/overview/

Also, many of the port adventures are similar or identical to port excursions offered by other cruise lines [in a given port, the cruise lines will often use the same excursion providers often with the same or very similar set of tours]. When they are similar, often Disney may have a slight variation to "disney-fy" it, the difference may be somewhat minor and you can usually figure it out by reading the descripton. So, if you narrow down to a short list of port adventures you are interested in, you can then do some Googling of them and see if other cruise lines basically offer the same ones and then see if you can find reviews of the equivalents from cruisers on those other lines - it will open up your options for information-gathering.

You may find some useful information at the Cruising With Wheels youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Cruisingwithwheels/featured . Per their "about": "We are a married couple with one of us in a wheelchair. We find cruising to be the best option for our vacations. Our channel focuses on everything about cruising and primarily handicap accessibility. You will find ship accessibility, cabin tours, ship tours, shore excursions, vlogs of our adventures as well as other useful informational videos." I find them useful for general cruising info as well as special needs tips. They often do NOT do cruise line port excursions when in port so you will get some good ideas about options of things to do and how to plan things to do in port from them.

Hope this helps.

SW

THANK YOU-THANK YOU- THANK YOU, STARWIND! FOR THE LINK TO ONBOARD GRATUITIES!! ❤️❤️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter