First time cruisers need help

Kippy52

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

My wife and I are planning our 1st cruise in November on the Disney Dream for our 1yr anniversary. I was hoping to have a few questions answered and maybe some "what to expect" tips from you veteran cruisers.

First question is about passports. I've seen on here that we don't need a passport on a closed loop cruise. The CM we spoke with said the same thing. Has anyone had any issues getting off the boat in the Bahamas without a passport? We are still leaning on getting one anyway just incase. But idk.

Second question is about ground transportation. The CM said it would be $70 per person for transportation from Orlando to the port and then the port to our resort at WDW. What are your thoughts on having a limo or town car bring us instead, to save costs?

Thank you all,
Brian

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary. My husband and I are sailing on the Dream for the first time too in August celebrating our 20th.

We are using disney transportation from Boardwalk to cruise and then back again to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Since this was all new to us, we felt more comfortable using disney in case of any problems.

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise and many more happy years together.

For U.S. residents, passports are not required for a closed loop cruise from a U.S. port. "Official" birth certificates, plus photo ID for those over 16, is sufficient -- "official" may mean a raised seal, watermark, hologram or whatever your state issues. There will be no problem leaving the ship in port -- Passports are checked at embarkation and again by Customs&Immigration at the end of the cruise. If a passport is required by a specific port stop, ALL passengers on the cruise will need to have one to board the cruise, it isn't a port-by-port basis.

Transportation -- if you have 4 or more in your party, you can probably arrange less expensive transportation with either a limo service or a car rental. DCL transfers are very convenient, but do cost more for larger parties. If there are only the two of you, savings may not be recognized except if you do a rental (and that depends on rental class).

Enjoy your cruise!

While you do not need a passport, however, one thing about not having a passport, if you have a medical emergency while at a Port of call and miss the ship, and/or if you have to fly home due to an emergency from a foreign port, you cannot get on the plane until you obtain a passport in that Country which could take days.

For us passports are just an another additional expense to factor in for the prcie of the cruise. We got them for the "just in case" peace of mind.

They are good for 10 years.

Congratulations on your Anniversary!!!

For a closed loop cruise you don't need a passport. We've done 2 closed loops cruises, and are doing #'s 3 & 4 in September. We ALWAYS take passports though for safety reasons. You never know what can/will happen that you may need it.

Your other transportation option is one-way car rentals, from MCO to port and from port to MCO.

The total cost one-way rentals may be as much or less than Disney ground transportation, and you get flexibility for other stops if you need or want it. You can carry on your own alcohol to Disney ships, so I like to visit somewhere (like Publix) to pick up those items prior to boarding.

While you do not need a passport, however, one thing about not having a passport, if you have a medical emergency while at a Port of call and miss the ship, and/or if you have to fly home due to an emergency from a foreign port, you cannot get on the plane until you obtain a passport in that Country which could take days.

JimGA is absolutely right. You have time to get one, so please do. You probably will not need it, but if you get stranded you'll be very glad you have it. The main thing is to relax and have fun. Get the passport and you'll have peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter