First Time Cruisers - Advice Needed SMALL UPDATE POST 39

Another option is river cruises in Europe. One of my friends did one and loved it.
I definitely want to do this one day in the future but as my first cruise I’d like to keep the travel to get to the cruise shirt and sweet!! I also want to do a New England cruise. And an American River cruise. And so much more lol! But I gotta start somewhere 😂

I took a quick peek on Celebrity site. Both on their new ships!! :thumbsup2

5 night Western Caribbean on the Beyond
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.56.34 AM.png

7 night Key West, Belize, Cayman on Apex
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.57.18 AM.png

I’m hoping to convince DH for us to be more flexible with dates. I’m willing to pay more for a busy time if it has the right itinerary and fits our schedule but he’s had a slow time at work the past 6 months and it’s about to ramp up so that’s why I was looking at the holidays timeframe to keep the actual days he takes off from work minimal.

Additional question - if we fly in should it definitely be the day before departure or can we make it for an early morning flight to disembark? Same for the trip home. Can we get a late day/night flight on Arrival back If we dock at 7am or so?

I’m hoping to convince DH for us to be more flexible with dates. I’m willing to pay more for a busy time if it has the right itinerary and fits our schedule but he’s had a slow time at work the past 6 months and it’s about to ramp up so that’s why I was looking at the holidays timeframe to keep the actual days he takes off from work minimal.

Additional question - if we fly in should it definitely be the day before departure or can we make it for an early morning flight to disembark? Same for the trip home. Can we get a late day/night flight on Arrival back If we dock at 7am or so?

IMPORTANT RULE is fly in day before just in case!!!

p.s. --
Nice thing about a 4/3 B2B is that if the first 4 are not cool, cancel the 3 OR extend the 3 to even longer.

As for going, 99% of the time I go day before. You never know what can happen with airline travel - especially in winter months. Go the day before!

Going home, you can go home same day. I typically book around noon to have plenty of time to get from cruise terminal to airport.

My advice is to get insurance. Most health insurance won’t pay out if the country, especially if you need to be evacuated. A lot of first time cruisers don’t realize that if you need to cancel after final payment (illness, injury, death…) you don’t get any money back (except port fees and taxes).

I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend flying in the day before. We've done that for all of our cruises. While you don't HAVE to, it just allows more of a cushion in case something goes wrong.

For the trip home, you can EASILY fly home the same day. Depending on the cruise port/airport, you can actually make a 10a flight. I wouldn't do it, and would look for noon or later.

ETA: One cruise, we actually got a flight home the next day and it saved us money (even with the rental car and hotel costs).

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/C3T07B/J317.html

Here you go. You’re making me want to go now!

You can go in there and filter by months and such. I put in Caribbean and checked off feb March April.
That looks so nice! In my opinion/experience we would prefer to do Key West as a first stop instead of a last stop. On one cruise where Key West was last, there was a huge delay in everyone allowed off the ship as not everyone would report to customs. (Since Key West was our return point to the US.)

Only one time did we fly down the day of. My friends and I were in our rooms by 9:00 pm! Getting up for an early flight took the fun right out if the first day! We live extending our vacation by a day and visiting the port towns. Miami is nice. We stayed at holiday inn right across the bridge from the port. We also stayed in ybor city for a cruise out of Tampa.

Good to know.
That looks so nice! In my opinion/experience we would prefer to do Key West as a first stop instead of a last stop. On one cruise where Key West was last, there was a huge delay in everyone allowed off the ship as not everyone would report to customs. (Since Key West was our return point to the US.)

As for going, 99% of the time I go day before. You never know what can happen with airline travel - especially in winter months. Go the day before!

Going home, you can go home same day. I typically book around noon to have plenty of time to get from cruise terminal to airport.

*you can go home same day*

r.e. -bold
DSIL and family got off WISH a couple of weeks ago and went directly to MCO. Their AFTERNOON flight was cancelled so off to a hotel and was able to book another flight for LATE the next day but not to Newark instead it was Philly.

Has anyone ever cruised on HAL Eurodam or Celebrity Silhouette? Those two itineraries fit our schedule in late December but not sure if they are a perfect fit and I’m just squeezing something in…

Do cruise lines add additional sailings into day the spring or are most all sailings already posted for like all of 2023?

We've done Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, and enjoyed all of them. I wouldn't worry too much about the specific line. Instead, focus on where you want to go and what dates seem to align the best (as well as budget considerations).

For a first cruise out of FL, your best options are a 7 night Eastern or Western Caribbean. Read up on the port stops and see which ones best suit your tastes. Since you said you're not into crazy onboard activities, I would choose an older ship. They tend to be smaller and less expensive, while still providing the same overall experience.

Do try the onboard shows, since they're included in the price of your ticket. I absolutely love them, but if you don't, nothing's making you stay :) Also read the newsletter/calendar they put in your cabin each night, and try some of the onboard activities. Art auctions are fun even if you don't buy anything. There are generally different ship tours, classes in everything from napkin folding to ballroom dance, Bingo games, sometimes guest lectures...a big part of cruising is getting involved.

It's definitely easiest to book shore excursions through the cruise line. But if you're comfortable with travel in general, you'll pretty much always save money and have a better experience booking independently. For example, when we cruised Alaska, we bought the Great Alaska Toursaver for $99. It was packed with BOGO discounts for the very same tours offered through the ship. And they were all small group tours rather than the giant bus provided by the ship. Or in Grand Cayman, we made a car rental reservation ahead of time. Went the same places as the bus tour plus several others, all on our own schedule. Just something to think about.

....................................It's definitely easiest to book shore excursions through the cruise line. But if you're comfortable with travel in general, you'll pretty much always save money and have a better experience booking independently..................................... Just something to think about.

r.e. - bold If excursion is booked through the Cruise Line the ship WILL WAIT for your return should the tour be delayed, not necessarily so if privately booked.

Has anyone ever cruised on HAL Eurodam or Celebrity Silhouette? Those two itineraries fit our schedule in late December but not sure if they are a perfect fit and I’m just squeezing something in…

Do cruise lines add additional sailings into day the spring or are most all sailings already posted for like all of 2023?

I have been on the Eurodam but not the Silhouette, although I’ve cruised Celebrity many times. I hate to say this, but I actually got bored on the Eurodam, which I was on for a Christmas cruise. I’ve never had that happen on any cruise, and I’ve been on most cruise lines. Very few activities during the sea days and no big shows at night. I like to do various trivia events and always enjoy a show or even a comedian in the evening. I think every night I ended up going to BB Kings to listen to music, and that got old after day three because the sets kept repeating.

With Celebrity you can book the Always Included package which covers most of your alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, gratuities, and Wi-Fi.

I know that food is always subjective, but I’ve found that food on Celebrity is a touch bit better than HAL. Not that there is anything wrong with HAL’s food. It is good, too. The real kicker for me was the lack of entertainment on the Eurodam, which I know not everyone cares about.

I have been on the Eurodam but not the Silhouette, although I’ve cruised Celebrity many times. I hate to say this, but I actually got bored on the Eurodam, which I was on for a Christmas cruise. I’ve never had that happen on any cruise, and I’ve been on most cruise lines. Very few activities during the sea days and no big shows at night. I like to do various trivia events and always enjoy a show or even a comedian in the evening. I think every night I ended up going to BB Kings to listen to music, and that got old after day three because the sets kept repeating.

With Celebrity you can book the Always Included package which covers most of your alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, gratuities, and Wi-Fi.

I know that food is always subjective, but I’ve found that food on Celebrity is a touch bit better than HAL. Not that there is anything wrong with HAL’s food. It is good, too. The real kicker for me was the lack of entertainment on the Eurodam, which I know not everyone cares about.
Thanks for the honest feedback! It’s good to hear personal experiences and even tho we are not big show people I’d love to see a comedian or two!! I’m about to update a little more info in order to keep y’all steering me in the right direction!!

Ok - so DH gave me the go ahead to pick really any time in the next 6-9 months to book our anniversary cruise. This gives me more freedom for a bit longer voyage (6-8 nights). Now I can study ships and itineraries and ports of call so share any great cruise experiences you’ve had!!

- would rather go when we can enjoy the warm weather (not summer because it’s already hot by us and we can hit the local beaches)
- not thrilled with tons of Mexican/South or Central American ports (nothing wrong with them but I’ve only been to Jamaica and that was 30 years ago- I would like to see other islands)
- Key West would be a cool addition because we plan on doing the drive from Miami and a few nights stay there for DH’s 50th coming up soon but at the same time not necessary for a cruise port BECAUSE we will go in the near future…
- DH work schedule from January thru the next several months will lend itself to us taking a cruise mid month or the week right after as far as time frame

Thank again to everyone gor all the responses!!!

I have cruised many times and we ALWAYS fly in the day before. Too much can happen to book a flight the day of the cruise.

This is a nice cruise. https://www.princess.com/search-cruise/details/?voyageCode=Y304&fareType=BESTVALUE. I have done it three times. The Sky Princess is a beautiful ship. Princess offers “Princess Plus”, which includes the drink package, WiFi and Crew Appreciation (Gratuities). FYI - Princess Cays is a private island in the Bahamas. In other words, a day at the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter