First Time Cruiser- should I choose American Airlines or Southwest?

DisneyNDecember

DIS Veteran
Here is my dilemma, first time cruiser.
Cruise is for Dec 7-11, 2015.
We will be flying in Dec 6 to spend the night at the Hyatt Orlando Internatl Airport, so as not to be rushed the day of the cruise.
Here is my dilemma...
I already have the DCL ground transfers included on my cruise for round trip transfers with DCL from MCO to Port Canavaral.
I can't decide between American Airlines or Southwest.
American Airlines has a round trip fare today for me & my son (teenager) for a total fare of $444 (pretty darn good),, except the return flight day/disembarktion day has a return flight of 8:00pm. So if we go that route, we would probably do the Hyatt Day Use for $99 so that we can relax, shower, & possibly take a nap before our flight leaves at 8:00 pm on 12/11. So total, that would be about $544. I like this idea so that we are not rushed getting back to the airport.

I prefer to fly with Southwest because if you need to cancel your trip, you don't get charged any fees.
But, Southwest fares are not released until May 14.

Do I wait until May for Southwest fares to be released?
Do I go ahead & book the low fare thru American Airlines & the Hyatt Day Use for 12/11?
Will I regret that Southwest is not part of the DCL participating airlines for the DCL transfers?

Please advise, especially all of you veteran cruisers. :)

Last edited:
I'd wait for Southwest. Southwest doesn't charge for bags. You may be able to save $100 if you have 4 bags

Here is my dilemma, first time cruiser.
Cruise is for Dec 7-11, 2014.
We will be flying in Dec 6 to spend the night at the Hyatt Orlando Internatl Airport, so as not to be rushed the day of the cruise.
Here is my dilemma...
I already have the DCL ground transfers included on my cruise for round trip transfers with DCL from MCO to Port Canavaral.
I can't decide between American Airlines or Southwest.
American Airlines has a round trip fare today for me & my son (teenager) for a total fare of $444 (pretty darn good),, except the return flight day/disembarktion day has a return flight of 8:00pm. So if we go that route, we would probably do the Hyatt Day Use for $99 so that we can relax, shower, & possibly take a nap before our flight leaves at 8:00 pm on 12/11. So total, that would be about $544. I like this idea so that we are not rushed getting back to the airport.

I prefer to fly with Southwest because if you need to cancel your trip, you don't get charged any fees.
But, Southwest fares are not released until May 14.

Do I wait until May for Southwest fares to be released?
Do I go ahead & book the low fare thru American Airlines & the Hyatt Day Use for 12/11?
Will I regret that Southwest is not part of the DCL participating airlines for the DCL transfers?

Please advise, especially all of you veteran cruisers. :)

I'd make sure what year I was flying in. Big difference between 2014 and 2015.

Are both itineraries with a direct flight? Given the bag fees and the added hyatt fee, I'd probably wait

Personally after two horrendous experiences in a row (6+ hours stuck at one airport for something they CHOSE - didn't have to CHOSE to do the first time, and then on their second chance it was 7.5 hours stuck AGAIN because they CHOSE to do something they didn't have to) with Southwest, I will walk somewhere before I give them any more money.

It wouldn't even be an debate for me. American all the way.

You can still do the DCL transfers. You just can't do the onboard airline check-in. Onboard check-in is a nice perk, but it's not that big of a deal. It just means you'll have to collect your bags in the terminal and take them through customs before heading to your bus.

Go with your preference based on flight times and cost/fees.

Something to think about is SW does NOT do on-board check-in for the return trip. It's super nice to leave your bags out the last night and not worry about them until you get home.

We fly Southwest if at all possible. Love that they don't charge for checked bags and they don't change their schedule on a weekly basis like the legacy airlines (i.e. American) does. Having to retrieve luggage at the port after the cruise was never a hassle for us. But it is a matter of preference.

Thank you all for the great information. I have had great experiences with both carriers, but I think I will wait for the fall rates to come out with southwest since the lack of onboard check in does not seem too bad or big of a deal. It is a nice perk. Hopefully both fares will be low in May so I can make a decision. I love that if you need to change or cancel, southwest does not have any penalty fees.

We fly Southwest if at all possible. Love that they don't charge for checked bags and they don't change their schedule on a weekly basis like the legacy airlines (i.e. American) does. Having to retrieve luggage at the port after the cruise was never a hassle for us. But it is a matter of preference.
Good point.

Couldn't agree more. I fly SW nearly every time - saving on the baggage fees usually makes up for any other differences or minor inconveniences, at least flying from/to Chicago. We often sail as a party of 6 and still no trouble getting our bags at port. It's well organized. But definitely a personal preference!

I would pick Southwest too. You save on bags, and their airline miles don't expire as long as you fly with them or have partner earning activity (like e-miles) every 24 months.

Something to think about is SW does NOT do on-board check-in for the return trip. It's super nice to leave your bags out the last night and not worry about them until you get home.
y
You can pay $12 for express check in, no worries

i would wait till southwest comes out. honestly we always fly american just b/c we are closer to DFW airport by an hour than we are DAL where SW is located so it comes down to convenience for us. That being said, we never book flights to MCO or TPA this early UNLESS the rates are just phenomenal. I haven't seen great rates on AA since we flew to MCO in September of 2010 for $70pp. I consider anything $250pp or less to be good and they usually stay that way till about 4-5 months before a trip. I think I watched airfare for 4 or 5 months before I booked our tickets for this cruise in February which was still 3 months before the cruise. I don't think if you wait until May that AA rates will change that much so just wait and check theirs first.

Also, I have found that late Monday nights or Tuesdays tend to be the lowest rates FWIW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter