First Time Cruise questions

Elmo007

DIS Veteran
Grandma and Granddaughter (13) are planning first cruise on Fantasy in August 2014. A few questions.

1. Is a porthole necessary? Never having cruised but afraid of motion sickness what is the best part of the ship to consider?

2. When is the best time to book? Are prices likely to be better this early or should I wait? As a first time cruiser should I expect any upgrades/discounts or breaks on travel insurance?

3. Is it better to use a private car service or the Disney transportation?

4. How do I work out coordinating flights a sschedules are no out this far?

5. Any other tips are appreciated.

Thank You.

Grandma and Granddaughter (13) are planning first cruise on Fantasy in August 2014. A few questions.

1. Is a porthole necessary? Never having cruised but afraid of motion sickness what is the best part of the ship to consider? Best location is lower, midship. I always get a oceanview, gotta have the light.

2. When is the best time to book? Are prices likely to be better this early or should I wait? As a first time cruiser should I expect any upgrades/discounts or breaks on travel insurance? Typically prices are lowest on opening day, they rise as the space fills. On those cruises that DCL deems aren't selling well, they may come out with specials after the PIF date. While these prices are lower than the price being charged at the time, they are usually higher than opening day prices. Upgrades are entirely random, first timer or 10th cruise, early booking or late, inside room or verandah, no pattern to upgrades. Travel insurance is travel insurance, the price is the same.

3. Is it better to use a private car service or the Disney transportation? It depends on how many of you are traveling. DCL transfers are $35 per person each way. 2 = cheaper to do DCL transfers. 4 and up = cheaper to do private transportation. 3 people = your call

4. How do I work out coordinating flights a sschedules are no out this far? DCL requires that everyone be onboard 1 hours before departure, and that guests plan their post cruise flights after 12:00 noon. When the schedules come out, that's when you book.

Thank You.

see my answers in red

1. Is a porthole necessary? Never having cruised but afraid of motion sickness what is the best part of the ship to consider?

2. When is the best time to book? Are prices likely to be better this early or should I wait? As a first time cruiser should I expect any upgrades/discounts or breaks on travel insurance?

3. Is it better to use a private car service or the Disney transportation?

4. How do I work out coordinating flights a sschedules are no out this far?

Thank You.

1.) My first cruise was with my grandparents (and cousin) and we didn't have or need a port hole. We were interior of the ship and as kids we were happy as clams. As a "grown up" you may want the ocean view, but your granddaughter will be happy any which way.... :D

3.) I am looking at the Hyatt Northwest (which the name makes me laugh every time I say/write it) in Orlando. They have a shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the port to the airport and it's not Disney expensive. I think roundtrip for 2 people Disney is $140. Hyatt NW it's $197 for a room and transfers.

4.) Go to Bing travel. They tell you the best time to buy.

5.) I say this every time to every newbie cruiser because despite the awesome advice I got... I think I'm the only white-super burny person here: pack a big t-shirt. Don't pack the super crappy spray on sun screen. Dude... I got a super burn because of that stuff and looked like a zebra (my dad's cruise joke after I got burned and was in my bathing suit was "What's black and white and red all over?" "You!" I had a black/white bathing suit) and then didn't have anything high cut to cover so the rest of the vacation people kept saying "Ouch your chest...." Bring a t-shirt. That and have fun!

1) Book as early as possible. You can get the lower rate if prices were to drop but they probably will not.

2) We have cruised 3 times and always deck 7 forward. 7 in nicely between the upper (pool) decks and the dining/entertaining decks so we did not need to wait for elevators!::yes::

We used the non-drowsy dramamine (one pill AM and PM) on each - One was really rough but we never got sick. :cool1: By mid cruise we cut it to one per day.

1. Is a porthole necessary? Never having cruised but afraid of motion sickness what is the best part of the ship to consider?Midship is best for the least motion. That is why it costs more. If you are really nervous about motion sickness, you could consider a verandah room. You will likely spend little time in your room, except to sleep, and the porthole/verandah does not help when you are asleep!

2. When is the best time to book? Are prices likely to be better this early or should I wait? As a first time cruiser should I expect any upgrades/discounts or breaks on travel insurance? Earlier is always better. Find a better deal, you can cancel and then book the better deal. One BIG exception: after the time frame for cancellation has passed, i.e. 75 days from sailing, DCL might put rooms up for super sale. Because cruisers can't cancel with losing their deposit or more, DCL can put cabins on super sale without everyone rebooking. If a cruise has a LOT of unsold cabins, DCL will last minute super sale them. However, you can by no means count on this. If you want a particular cruise, waiting for the last minute will most likely mean you have to buy a more expensive category because the cheap rooms are taken, may mean that you pay the same price you would have, may mean the cruise sells out, and may mean it goes on sale. So, that would be quite the gamble. Useful only if you have some time available and happen to discover that a cruise has gone on sale.

3. Is it better to use a private car service or the Disney transportation? Depends on your definition of "better." Disney transport is fun and pretty easy. Private transportation is typically less expensive and can be tailored more to your needs.

4. How do I work out coordinating flights a sschedules are no out this far? The ship typically leaves port at 4 pm. You really want to be at the port no later than 1 pm. You could manage at 2 pm, but that will be stress inducing. You can typically take any flight home at noon or later on disembarkation day.

5. Any other tips are appreciated. You will have a great time. We went to our first DCL cruise with no knowledge of what to expect. Just our passports and swimsuits. We had a blast. By day three, you will be very comfortable with the ship. Take the initial intro tour, and take the "Art of the Theme Show" tour that explains tons of details about the ship.

Thank You.

Have fun!

Any advice for first time cruisers going with grandma? 9 people in 3 cabins who have never vacationed together..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!