First Time Cruise questions

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Elmo007, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Elmo007

Elmo007 Mouseketeer

Grandma and Granddaughter (13) are planning first cruise on Fantasy in August 2014. A few questions.

1. Is a porthole necessary? Never having cruised but afraid of motion sickness what is the best part of the ship to consider?

2. When is the best time to book? Are prices likely to be better this early or should I wait? As a first time cruiser should I expect any upgrades/discounts or breaks on travel insurance?

3. Is it better to use a private car service or the Disney transportation?

4. How do I work out coordinating flights a sschedules are no out this far?

5. Any other tips are appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

see my answers in red

4. kdeans1010

kdeans1010 DIS Veteran

1.) My first cruise was with my grandparents (and cousin) and we didn't have or need a port hole. We were interior of the ship and as kids we were happy as clams. As a "grown up" you may want the ocean view, but your granddaughter will be happy any which way.... :D

3.) I am looking at the Hyatt Northwest (which the name makes me laugh every time I say/write it) in Orlando. They have a shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the port to the airport and it's not Disney expensive. I think roundtrip for 2 people Disney is $140. Hyatt NW it's $197 for a room and transfers.

4.) Go to Bing travel. They tell you the best time to buy.

5.) I say this every time to every newbie cruiser because despite the awesome advice I got... I think I'm the only white-super burny person here: pack a big t-shirt. Don't pack the super crappy spray on sun screen. Dude... I got a super burn because of that stuff and looked like a zebra (my dad's cruise joke after I got burned and was in my bathing suit was "What's black and white and red all over?" "You!" I had a black/white bathing suit) and then didn't have anything high cut to cover so the rest of the vacation people kept saying "Ouch your chest...." Bring a t-shirt. That and have fun!

5. Mom24Princesses

Mom24Princesses DIS Veteran

1) Book as early as possible. You can get the lower rate if prices were to drop but they probably will not.

2) We have cruised 3 times and always deck 7 forward. 7 in nicely between the upper (pool) decks and the dining/entertaining decks so we did not need to wait for elevators!::yes::

We used the non-drowsy dramamine (one pill AM and PM) on each - One was really rough but we never got sick. :cool1: By mid cruise we cut it to one per day.

6. Elmo007

Elmo007 Mouseketeer

Thank You

7. Four Swampers

Four Swampers Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Have fun!

8. Jblever

Jblever Earning My Ears

Can't wait to take our first cruise in Feb.

9. buglady11

buglady11 Earning My Ears

Any advice for first time cruisers going with grandma? 9 people in 3 cabins who have never vacationed together..