First Time Cruise - Disney Wish

ThisIsTheWay

Mouseketeer
After years of insisting that I could never cruise due to motion sickness, I decided to book a Disney cruise on the Wish for April 2024 for my family of 5 (DS 14, DD 11, DS 7) after researching about how many people prone to motion sickness actually do fine on cruises! Also I just learned that Disney does 3 night cruises so I thought that would be a perfect trial for me as it would only be 3 days of suffering if things actually don't work out well. So, I know nothing about cruising or Disney Cruises for that matter, only snippets of what I've looked into so far. What advice/tips would you give me? About the ship, whether to disembark on Nassau or skip it (I've been reading mixed reviews, but I have a feeling kids are going to want to do Atlantis), must do's, Castaway Cay, how the dining works (so we don't pick what restaurant we want to go to each night, we get rotated between the 3?). Also best meds to take? I usually take a less drowsy Dramamine for airplane rides and GOTG but always get very drowsy if I don't take it the night before. Oh and we are going to WDW for 4 days before, looking at taking the bus transportation to get there early and for convenience. We go to WDW 1-2 times a year and I'm usually the one people ask for tips for Disney, but I am completely clueless on this. :rotfl2:

I take Bonine for motion sickness, start taking it a day before your cruise and for each day even if you feel fine. l also take ginger cany and it helps tremendously. Dramamine makes ginger chews, but I like hard candy so I order some from Amazon. You are correct about the restaurants for dinner. I haven't been to Nassau

Last edited:
What advice/tips would you give me? About the ship, whether to disembark on Nassau or skip it (I've been reading mixed reviews, but I have a feeling kids are going to want to do Atlantis), must do's, Castaway Cay, how the dining works (so we don't pick what restaurant we want to go to each night, we get rotated between the 3?). Also best meds to take? I

We are just off the Wish (cruise 5 for DS (7) and me, first cruise for my mom who gets very motion sick).

She wore a patch behind her ear the whole time - I think it is called scopolamine. I also noticed other people wearing one. She didn't have any issues (normally, she takes Dramamine to fly).

We haven't done Atlantis but have gotten off in Nassau before to go to the Chocolate factory, however, since the cruise was so short, we decided to stay on the boat and enjoy (also my mom was recovering from knee surgery).

On Castaway, we just grab some loungers at the far end near the water slides, and spend the day swimming, etc. I did the 5k in 2019 and it was...an experience. Never felt the need to do an excursion, but I know lots of people do.

Dining will rotate you between the 3 restaurants, same server every night and same time.

I take Bonine and it works fine for me. I did try the patch once but it's VERY expensive (insurance didn't cover it) and it had some weird side effects for me. It's actually pretty heavy duty medication so I don't recommend it. I found the Wish to be the smoothest of all the ships. I start my Bonine the day before the cruise and keep taking it the day we get off.

I think Nassau is always a fine choice for a day. We've been several times and gotten off more than we've stayed on. I've never been to Atlantis. It looks overpriced and overhyped to me so I've never even looked into it. The pirate museum is cute and fun if you're looking for something short and quick to do. It's within walking distance and doesn't take long so you can be back in time for lunch on the ship and spend the rest of the afternoon enjoying onboard activities.

We just went on the Wish and it was incredible. The trip was so smooth, we didn't even feel the ship moving. We hadn't taken a cruise since I was a kid with my parents...now 30+ years later we all went together again and it was beyond perfect. Maybe the sea was just calm or maybe the way the make new ships fixes some of the issues.

Nassau we hated and it was a waste of time for us, we wish we had just stayed on the ship and enjoyed all the ship has to offer. We wasted an hour on the island and got back on board as quick as possible.

Castaway we wish we could have spent a week there. We just did snorkeling and it was super fun.

You'll love the food and ship itself. Beyond perfect.

I take Bonine and it works fine for me. I did try the patch once but it's VERY expensive (insurance didn't cover it) and it had some weird side effects for me. It's actually pretty heavy duty medication so I don't recommend it. I found the Wish to be the smoothest of all the ships. I start my Bonine the day before the cruise and keep taking it the day we get off.

I think Nassau is always a fine choice for a day. We've been several times and gotten off more than we've stayed on. I've never been to Atlantis. It looks overpriced and overhyped to me so I've never even looked into it. The pirate museum is cute and fun if you're looking for something short and quick to do. It's within walking distance and doesn't take long so you can be back in time for lunch on the ship and spend the rest of the afternoon enjoying onboard activities.
Thanks for the feedback on the patch! I'll have to give Bonine a shot next time I fly to see how I do. Years ago I took it and it made me incredibly drowsy, but I think I took too much at the time. And good idea on the quick excursion!

After years of insisting that I could never cruise due to motion sickness, I decided to book a Disney cruise on the Wish for April 2024 for my family of 5 (DS 14, DD 11, DS 7) after researching about how many people prone to motion sickness actually do fine on cruises! Also I just learned that Disney does 3 night cruises so I thought that would be a perfect trial for me as it would only be 3 days of suffering if things actually don't work out well. So, I know nothing about cruising or Disney Cruises for that matter, only snippets of what I've looked into so far. What advice/tips would you give me? About the ship, whether to disembark on Nassau or skip it (I've been reading mixed reviews, but I have a feeling kids are going to want to do Atlantis), must do's, Castaway Cay, how the dining works (so we don't pick what restaurant we want to go to each night, we get rotated between the 3?). Also best meds to take? I usually take a less drowsy Dramamine for airplane rides and GOTG but always get very drowsy if I don't take it the night before. Oh and we are going to WDW for 4 days before, looking at taking the bus transportation to get there early and for convenience. We go to WDW 1-2 times a year and I'm usually the one people ask for tips for Disney, but I am completely clueless on this. :rotfl2:
I have a lot of good info on this. I just returned from my first cruise- five nights on the Wonder. I never cruised because I had a horrible time on a whale watching boat in Hawaii once. I had a great cruise but this is what I did- Bonine two days before traveling so it’s in your system. This is what Disney actually has on the ship just the generic version. When the cruise started I was feeling every jot and tiddle but wasn’t sick- but I upped my dosage to two tablets a day- one morning and one night. I also then started non drowsy Dramamine which is 1,000 mg. ginger. I also wore sea bands researching my acupressure points about that on you tube- from embarkation day. All this combined made for a very happy cruise. Even though I felt all the movement, I wasn’t ill. I can’t stress enough- start Bonnie early for best results. I had a great cruise- it is possible, but be prepared. Disney suggests this medicine (Generic Bonine which is Meclizine I think) on ship and you can find it outside the health center on the wall free to take but I also brought my own. But again start a couple of days before traveling. Have a great cruise! 👍

We just went on the Wish and it was incredible. The trip was so smooth, we didn't even feel the ship moving. We hadn't taken a cruise since I was a kid with my parents...now 30+ years later we all went together again and it was beyond perfect. Maybe the sea was just calm or maybe the way the make new ships fixes some of the issues.

Nassau we hated and it was a waste of time for us, we wish we had just stayed on the ship and enjoyed all the ship has to offer. We wasted an hour on the island and got back on board as quick as possible.

Castaway we wish we could have spent a week there. We just did snorkeling and it was super fun.

You'll love the food and ship itself. Beyond perfect.
I've read a lot of comments similar to yours on Nassau. Since we're on a short cruise, maybe staying on the ship is best or limiting it to a quick excursion.

I have a lot of good info on this. I just returned from my first cruise- five nights on the Wonder. I never cruised because I had a horrible time on a whale watching boat in Hawaii once. I had a great cruise but this is what I did- Bonine two days before traveling so it’s in your system. This is what Disney actually has on the ship just the generic version. When the cruise started I was feeling every jot and tiddle but wasn’t sick- but I upped my dosage to two tablets a day- one morning and one night. I also then started non drowsy Dramamine which is 1,000 mg. ginger. I also wore sea bands researching my acupressure points about that on you tube- from embarkation day. All this combined made for a very happy cruise. Even though I felt all the movement, I wasn’t ill. I can’t stress enough- start Bonnie early for best results. I had a great cruise- it is possible, but be prepared. Disney suggests this medicine (Generic Bonine which is Meclizine I think) on ship and you can find it outside the health center on the wall free to take but I also brought my own. But again start a couple of days before traveling. Have a great cruise! 👍
Thank you for the helpful advice! Sounds like Bonine is the way to go.

I'd recommend watching a few youtube videos from disney cruises either on the Wish or on a similar itinerary as yours. We did that to prep for our first cruise and it was really helpful.

You will have either late or early dining (same time every night). You will be assigned a rotation of where you will eat each evening. The staff will follow you from dining room to dining room so they get to know your personality and preferences.

There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch and additional food options on the pool deck -- and also soft serve ice cream and soda fountains available near the pool. One of the 'main dining rooms' will also be open for breakfast and lunch each day if you want a sit-down experience. Or you can order room service!

All of the above are included in the price of your cruise. (Even room service)

There are additional options available at an additional cost and you do have to pay for alcohol and fancy coffee. But there's a tremendous amount that's already included.

Must-dos:

See the nightly shows in the Walt Disney Theater. No reservations needed.

Watch the fireworks on Pirate Night. If you want to dress like a Pirate, go for it. You won’t be the only ones.

Realize you go only do so much. Expect this will just be your first - not your only cruise. (I have said so many times that I don’t need another cruise - and have now done 19 on Disney).

… and get an onboard booking / deposit credit for a future cruise. It’s $250, which goes toward a cruise you will take in the next 24 months. And it gives you a 10% discount on cruise fare (not taxes). Must be done onboard.

I did not feel well my first cruise. I left dinner halfway through. I was on the Wonder, a smaller ship. We were on the crossing from FL to the Bahamas and they just kicked up the engine speed after the show had finished. I have heard that is routinely one of the roughest areas, maybe it’s the shallow water?

But I sailed again 4 months later. Got a Scopalomine patch. And have kept sailing. Have used sea bands. Eventually, I didn’t need anything. I don’t even bother taking precautions anymore. Seasickness doesn’t have to be a life-long curse. In the meantime, bring a selection if pills and ginger to see what works for you. And don’t wait until you are feeling well to do something - by then, it’s too late.

And, enjoy yourself. It’s a great place to let the kids practice independence.
Thank you for so many helpful tips! We’re really looking forward to it! Though not the kids- they don’t know yet! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter