First Time at WDW, help!

Go Ask Alice

Earning My Ears
Hi Folks, So we took the plunge and booked our first time visit to WDW, we're both (me and my husband) so excited and a little overwhelmed with planning! I have some questions I hope people here will be kind enough to answer. Hope it's ok to post multiple questions in one post, thanks!!

Magical Express - We're flying from Manchester to Orlando airport with UA and we arrive at about 20:30 so... How do we use this service? do we book in advance?

Check in - We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, can we check in online? I can't see this option on the website.

Preferred Viewing - What is this? I have 4 of these as 'magical extras' with my booking, I believe it's firework viewing? How do I arrange this?

Firework displays - What are they called? Wishes? are they on every night?

ADR's - so far I have made ADR's for almost every night of our stay, this is a list of them
Crystal Palace
House of Blues
Be Our Guest
Biergarten
Le Cellier
Sci Fi
50's Prime Time
Ragland Road
Brown Derby
Ohana
Rose & Crown
Kona Cafe
Do you think these are good choices? is there any that I haven't got that we really shouldn't miss out on?

That's all I have for now. Sorry if my questions seem stupid, I haven't had much information from Disney about any of this stuff, it's like they expect everyone to know! :rotfl:

OOO i bet the preferred viewing might be for fireworks, fantasmic or illusions??
it doesnt say??

I dont have much advice on dining you listed but I can tell you where i have eaten that is great

Chef Mickey's (contemporary resort) this was great we loved it
Tusker house.. Animal kingdom loved that too
Rain Forest Cafe... we like this but have eaten at one several times all over so not a biggie if you have this back home or been before

Go Ask Alice said:
Hi Folks, So we took the plunge and booked our first time visit to WDW, we're both (me and my husband) so excited and a little overwhelmed with planning! I have some questions I hope people here will be kind enough to answer. Hope it's ok to post multiple questions in one post, thanks!!

Magical Express - We're flying from Manchester to Orlando airport with UA and we arrive at about 20:30 so... How do we use this service? do we book in advance?

Check in - We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, can we check in online? I can't see this option on the website.

Preferred Viewing - What is this? I have 4 of these as 'magical extras' with my booking, I believe it's firework viewing? How do I arrange this?

ADR's - so far I have made ADR's for almost every night of our stay, this is a list of them
Crystal Palace
House of Blues
Be Our Guest
Biergarten
Le Cellier
Sci Fi
50's Prime Time
Ragland Road
Brown Derby
Ohana
Rose & Crown
Kona Cafe
Do you think these are good choices? is there any that I haven't got that we really shouldn't miss out on?

That's all I have for now. Sorry if my questions seem stupid, I haven't had much information from Disney about any of this stuff, it's like they expect everyone to know! :rotfl:

I'm intrigued by this. Is the OP being offered FP+? Would this be the first report of it?

Crystal Palace
House of Blues
Be Our Guest
Biergarten
Le Cellier
Sci Fi
50's Prime Time
Ragland Road
Brown Derby
Ohana
Rose & Crown
Kona Cafe

Magical express is booked in advance, I booked using the website, but you can call I think and give them your flight information. You receive a booklet in the mail before your trip with vouchers and luggage tags.

We have eaten at some of your ADR choices and loved them. Crystal Palace is a character buffet, DH loved house of Blues, Biergarten is also one of his fav's he loves the beer, the kids like the show, again buffet style with lots of choices. Sci Fi is fun, and so is 50's prime time.

Online check in is offered 10 days before check in, or you can check in at the front desk.

Good luck with all your plans, I hope you have a wonderful first trip to Disney!:thumbsup2

Let me start out by saying Congrats on the trip! Your first trip to WDW will be wonderful experience!

Magical Express: I personally have never used it, but I hear it is a great service!

If you booked through the Disney website, there should have been a section with the ticket add-ons to set that up. If you booked through a travel agent, they should be able to set it up for you. If all else fails, just call Disney and they will walk you through it!

Online checkin: Yes! And, it is now available 60 days in advance! There is a link on the Disney website under "my reservations" where you can do that. They also have an FAQ specifically for online checkin

Preferred viewing: If it is the same as what AAA offers through their Disney booking service, it is special seating for firework and parade viewing. The only one I am familiar with is AAA has a section of the Main Street Train Station in MK for perferred viewing. You can google daily show itineraries for each park, or use the Disney apps available for android and iOS.

ADR: Great things to have! The best thing I can tell you about the restaurants are find ones that appeal to your tastes. For example, are you guys breakfast lovers? Do you enjoy buffet style dining? Do you enjoy comfort food (aka good southern cookin!), or more of an eclectic fare? Everyone you meet and talk to will have differing opinions about where you should dine. Start right here at wdwinfo. They have a fantastic section for the restaurants in WDW, and you can view menus. I can also recommend "Brinbaum's Walt Disney World", if your more of a book person. They update the book yearly with ratings and reviews of the dining opportunities at WDW, as well as a phenomenal collection of other information to help you plan your trip.

Now some WDW newbie advice 'cause I was recently one myself!
Just go and enjoy yourself!

Utilize the fastpasses as much as possible, but don't waste a lot of time running from one end of a park to another trying to get on every ride in one day!

Research and have a game plan. Everyone who goes to Disney for the first time has special things they would like to experience. Find out how to see the most without sacrificing your sanity OR your overall enjoyment of the trip. Again, start here at this site. Google everything you can think of, like best days to visit which parks, when to avoid certain rides, when the biggest crowd volumes are expected.

I hope this leads you in the right direction. Enjoy your trip!

My family goes to WDW at least once a year and one of our favorite resorts is Port Orleans French Quarter.
POFQ has a very relaxing atmosphere and feels uncrowded even during busy times.
Try the benignities in the POFQ food court they are awesome!
Live jazz plays many week nights in the POFQ lounge.
Downtown Disney is a quick boat ride away from POFQ.

Having a game plan and ADRs is a must.
This way you won't waste valuable vacation time trying to figure out what to do.
We have eaten at all of the restaurants you listed as having ADRs.
You made some great choices.

Enjoy your first trip!

Thanks everyone for your help! Things are becoming a little clearer. only issue I have is the website, I think i'm not seeing everything I'm suppose to be seeing and sometimes the website changes altogether and I can't even find my booking on it! I have no section called 'ticket add ons' is the website undergoing some sort of work?

Congratulations on your first WDW Trip!! From the UK we get different options and incentives than guests from the US.

If you booked through the WDTC you can add the magical express on through the Disney website. If not you'll probably have to speak with your travel agent to get that booked. It does need to be booked in advance. At Orlando International, you will go through immigration and customs and proceed to baggage collection. You then make your way to Terminal B, the Disney Express boarding point is clearly signposted. One other thing to note is that you won't necessarily get your luggage quickly. If you think there is anything in your cases you're going to need on the night of arrival, I'd suggest you take your bags yourself rather than letting them bring them to your room.

You can check in online but we found that this didn't really save us any time. We check in at the resort now

UK guests get a voucher book that includes preferred viewing for the evening shows. These have to be booked in advance! People often think they can show up at the preferred viewing location and just walk in. This was not the case when we went! You have to book your slot in that preferred viewing area ahead of time

Fireworks are on every night at MK and Epcot. MK is called Wishes, Epcot is called Illuminations. They are pretty much on every night but there are some exceptions.

Crystal Palace
House of Blues
Be Our Guest
Biergarten
Le Cellier
Sci Fi
50's Prime Time
Ragland Road
Brown Derby
Ohana
Rose & Crown
Kona Cafe

Do you have the Dining Plan? I would assume so because in the UK free dining is almost always available. Dining choices are very much personal taste. I could impose my tastes on you but that won't help you! I would suggest that you take a look at the menus and see what will appeal to you. Getting to grips with the dining plan is a necessity. It isn't difficult to work it out but doing a little preparation to know your entitlements, what kind of restaurant it is (quick or table service) is a good idea. Snack credits are particularly confusing for first timers. The official literature from Disney reads like you can only have certain items as a snack when pretty much everything under $4 is a snack credit

Don't feel stupid for asking questions, everyone was a first timer at some point. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them for you

Thanks everyone for your help! Things are becoming a little clearer. only issue I have is the website, I think i'm not seeing everything I'm suppose to be seeing and sometimes the website changes altogether and I can't even find my booking on it! I have no section called 'ticket add ons' is the website undergoing some sort of work?

Yes they are "upgrading" the web site and the roll out has been a disaster. There are many threads here about people's troubles.

ME is booked in advance. Since you are coming from the UK, I do not believe you can use the luggage delivery service on arrival. I believe you have to claim your bags and then go through US Customs. However, you can then bring your bag to the ME bus and it will be placed under the bus and transported to the resort with you. It is customary to tip the ME driver when they handle your bag for you, usually a dollar or two a bag.
Your restaurant choices are great!!!
Wishes is the MK firework show. It is generally each evening.
Illuminations is the pyrotechnical show with lights, music, lasers and water features in Epcot. It is more than simply fireworks. It is nightly too.
Many nights Fantasmic! is shown at DHS. It is also a special show and many love it.

Have a great first trip.

Disney is rolling out a new version of their site. There was some functionality that didn't cross over immediately, but hopefully they'll get everything back together and working properly soon.

Now some WDW newbie advice 'cause I was recently one myself!
Just go and enjoy yourself!

Utilize the fastpasses as much as possible, but don't waste a lot of time running from one end of a park to another trying to get on every ride in one day!

Research and have a game plan. Everyone who goes to Disney for the first time has special things they would like to experience. Find out how to see the most without sacrificing your sanity OR your overall enjoyment of the trip. Again, start here at this site. Google everything you can think of, like best days to visit which parks, when to avoid certain rides, when the biggest crowd volumes are expected.
I totally agree! Just have fun!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter