First time at MNSSHP!

Tnkrbl16

Earning My Ears
We've been to WDW many times, but this is our first time at MNSSHP. We will also be celebrating our 22nd anniversary. Any tips for first timers?

I went for the first time last year on Nov 1st.
I almost had a meltdown during this event shortly after arriving at the park.

It was hot (90+) and humid (very sticky and I was drenched with sweat) and our first day there. It was packed and took at least 30 minutes to get down main st. Between the crowds and the heat, I was ready to knock someone out, just so I could be detained alone in an air conditioned holding cell.

I managed to get away from the crowds, cool off mentally, and began to enjoy the evening.

There was another incident a little later. Everybody is gathered around the hub waiting for the parade. The sidewalks near the castle were packed and there was only enough room for someone to walk through but my wife was in a chair. So we pushed our way through until we came accross someones bag in the one foot path. I said aloud that someone left their bag behind. A woman pipes up and says that is mine. So I asked her to move it because she was blocking the path. She said no because she was saving the space for someone. In the nicest voice I could manage, I then told her that I was goung walk through path and not step over the bag. Then my wife is going to come though with her chair which will probably get tangled and I will then proceed to rip it until it is free from the chair. She picked it up.

We are going again in September. I will have a better mindset because it won't be the first day we are there. I will have had a chance to get acclimated and will no up front that it is crowded beyond capacity and some people just want to be a-holes.

Be prepared for the heat and the crowds and you should have a great time.

I went for the first time last year on Nov 1st.
I almost had a meltdown during this event shortly after arriving at the park.

It was hot (90+) and humid (very sticky and I was drenched with sweat) and our first day there. It was packed and took at least 30 minutes to get down main st. Between the crowds and the heat, I was ready to knock someone out, just so I could be detained alone in an air conditioned holding cell.

I managed to get away from the crowds, cool off mentally, and began to enjoy the evening.

There was another incident a little later. Everybody is gathered around the hub waiting for the parade. The sidewalks near the castle were packed and there was only enough room for someone to walk through but my wife was in a chair. So we pushed our way through until we came accross someones bag in the one foot path. I said aloud that someone left their bag behind. A woman pipes up and says that is mine. So I asked her to move it because she was blocking the path. She said no because she was saving the space for someone. In the nicest voice I could manage, I then told her that I was goung walk through path and not step over the bag. Then my wife is going to come though with her chair which will probably get tangled and I will then proceed to rip it until it is free from the chair. She picked it up.

We are going again in September. I will have a better mindset because it won't be the first day we are there. I will have had a chance to get acclimated and will no up front that it is crowded beyond capacity and some people just want to be a-holes.

Be prepared for the heat and the crowds and you should have a great time.
We are going on Sunday, October 2, so I hope it won't be as crowded as later in the month. We also plan on going into the park at 4:00 to get additional time in MK.

You're going to love it! Don't miss start of parade with headless horseman. Think best spot for viewing would be over in Frontier Land. They have smoke machines going and it gets nice and spooky over there. Also, I forget her name but in front of the Haunted Mansion there is a lady who acts like a scary character. Funny stuff. The ride lines are super short! Fireworks show is amazing! You can book fast passes for rides between 4 & 7 so make sure to take advantage of that. Have fun!!! :yay:

It's very hot - don't miss the fireworks! HalloWishes are my favorite fireworks show - even on nights we don't go to the party, I try to get back to our room in time to watch them from the balcony. Also, if pictures are important to you, look for the special photo ops that are there just for party nights.

Wear a costume! But keep it relatively simple and light weight. It can be quite warm that time of year. And make sure to check out the new guidelines this year.

And I second the show up at 4 and plan your fastpasses accordingly.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the experience. We're trying to come up with costume ideas.

We'll be there this year, too, our fourth time for MNSSHP. IMO the parade is the highlight of the party and I park myself early to have a great view.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the experience. We're trying to come up with costume ideas.

Same here. I do want to do a 'proper' costume, not just Disneybounding. But with no layers being allowed and the heat, I'm unsure what to wear

Same here. I do want to do a 'proper' costume, not just Disneybounding. But with no layers being allowed and the heat, I'm unsure what to wear
I was thinking about Mouseketeers,
but I don't guess that would be very original. My DH hates to be hot, so it will have to be lightweight.

DON'T MISS:
-Boo To You Parade: runs twice, second one is much less crowded, we like to watch from the main street/town square area since its way less crowded (and more light for photography...)
-Hocus Pocus stage show: THIS IS INCREDIBLE, seriously, the Sanderson sisters are AMAZING, the show's awesome, and still brand new so there's that
-Hallowishes fireworks: hands down my favorite fireworks show!! The music is awesome, the finale is incredible! We used to love grabbing a spot in the hub grass to sit and watch them, but I hear that's no longer available....booo. Make sure to watch from within the hub area though!!

-Trick or treating is awesome and super fun, I found there to be less trails last year than in previous years, or that the trails had less stops on them for candy, but we still got SO MUCH
-Wear a costume, or an extreme disneybound. Even something lightweight and cool, IT WILL BE HOT. Character interactions, even while watching the parade are way more awesome when you're dressed like someone.
-Figure out which special characters are most important for you and prioritize them
-Look up info on character times/spots online as soon as the first party hits to help maximize your time!
-Your party ticket will get you in a 4pm, utilize that time too! We usually arrive right at 4pm, to take some daylight photos, and visit a character or two that have something to do with our costumes that are out all day (ie, we all dressed like tink's friends, so we went to see her around 5pm since she's always out).Also use this time to eat, most places aren't open during the parties, and you don't want to waste valuable party time eating!

As of last year, here's what our night looked like:
-Arrive as early as possible, grab some food, water, etc
-Take some photos
-Maybe see a character
-Head into castle hub around 7 to get a spot for the Hocus Pocus show (you can judge this on your own of how close you want to be, we arrived and waited an hour because we wanted to be right upfront and get good pictures!)
-Watch 8pm HoPo
-Hit a trick or treat trail or two, usually the Tomorrowland ones
-Head down to Town Square to watch the first Boo To You -> (if you plan to stay til the end, and the weather is good, and you only want to watch the parade once, SKIP the first one, use this time to meet some special characters!)
-Trick or treat trails or a character or two
-Return to hub for Hallowishes, chow down on candy
-More trick or treating and characters (Alice & Hatter, tarzan & jane, jafar, lotso, etc)
-Grab some photopass pictures
-Head back to town square to watch Boo To You again
-Walk up Main Street to watch the last HoPo show again before the event is over.

If you want to get Jack & Sally into your night too, head there FIRST thing, we're talking like 5:30/6pm. Go grab some snacks and eat them in line, the line is going to be LONG and they came out around 6 the parties we were there last year!! With that plan, you could watch the first HoPo show from further back, OR, use that time to trick or treat and character meet a bit before the first parade!

-Try not to stress and HAVE FUN, they're my favorite thing to do at Disney!! Let me know if you have any other questions or costume ideas or anything! :) :)

Anyone who wears light/normal clothes should be fairly easy. Lilo and Nani, for example, or Boo. My husband and I were going to repurpose our Star Wars costumes from a recent party (Luke and Leia- I know, it's weird, don't ask...) but now I think his Luke costume, which is a tunic and pants, a scarf, and a robe, would probably be too heavy/hot. Our backup plan is Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps from Zootopia- their outfits can definitely be lightweight (especially his)! :)

Those are great ideas! I have some time to come up with something, and I'll have to convince my husband that it will be fun to dress up. He can be a party pooper some time.

We've been to WDW many times, but this is our first time at MNSSHP. We will also be celebrating our 22nd anniversary. Any tips for first timers?

I find the time between 4pm and 7pm to be rather chaotic with crowds, especially in the main street and hub area while party and day guests are both there. If I recall correctly, they may run a celebrate the magic or electric light parade for day guests right about 7ish and then the halloween specific stage show, parade and fireworks starts around 8pmish.. When there is no kids with us, I like to grab a nearby dinner outside of the park and then head in for near 7pm...

other than that, there's a parade, a stage show, fireworks and trick or treating at various places around the park that is not part of a normal visit. Also characters that you rarely see are out and there is a lot more meet and greets with them...

Those are great ideas! I have some time to come up with something, and I'll have to convince my husband that it will be fun to dress up. He can be a party pooper some time.

did the release the ok for adults to wear list? it is against rules for someone 14+ to be in costume but they do relax that rule for mnsshp. dont' go too crazy getting a costume ready until you know if you can even wear it.

Yup, the full guidelines are here, but generally layered costumes and costumes that fully surround the body (like if you were going to dress up as Baymax in a giant suit) are a no-go, along with floor-length dresses, long capes, etc.

Theres almost too much to do, so figure out your must dos. Also we found that the meet n greets, although unique, had very long lines. Our kids decided they'd rather get candy and ride rides, so thats what we did plus the parade and fireworks. If you want to do meet n greets then be prepared to wait and probably not do any rides. It was around 90 degrees but we managed okay with light costumes, using tutus instead of dresses to get the point across. Also doing Splash, HM and Jungle Cruise at night in costume was fun, added ambiance.

Theres almost too much to do, so figure out your must dos. Also we found that the meet n greets, although unique, had very long lines. Our kids decided they'd rather get candy and ride rides, so thats what we did plus the parade and fireworks. If you want to do meet n greets then be prepared to wait and probably not do any rides. It was around 90 degrees but we managed okay with light costumes, using tutus instead of dresses to get the point across. Also doing Splash, HM and Jungle Cruise at night in costume was fun, added ambiance.
We probably won't feel the need to do a lot of meet and greets, since it's just the two of us and no kids. We also don't plan on doing trick-or-treating. We will do some rides, and definitely make the parade and shows. If anyone has easy costume ideas, I'd love some suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter