• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time at IOA - Tell me about the "wet" rides

ColoradoDis

DIS Veteran
We're taking a short one-day break from Disney on Sunday, May 12, mainly because my kids want to visit WWOHP. Since we're there, we also want to want to visit the other rides at IOA.

I noticed that there are 3 "wet" rides - Jurassic Park River Adventure, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges. Can you tell me how wet that the average person gets on each one? Perhaps you could compare it to similar WDW rides?

Thanks for your help.

JPRA isn't too bad, a light splash.

Popeye & Blutos is my favourite - but YOU GET TOTALLY SOAKED! I'm not kidding, have a look at people getting off this ride and judge for yourself. I don't think a poncho would help at all. Careful with electronics.

Never ridden DDR. Probably between the two.

Like many flumes, DudleyDRRF all depends on your seat position and the weight distribution in the "log". I've gotten soaked, and hardly got a drop on different occasions.

Of course, one time I hardly got wet until the very end when my kids drenched me with the squirt guns overhead.

My experience: heavy in front on Dudley and Jurassic = wet. Popeye & Bluto = soaked regardless where you sit, but the degree of soak depends on luck (your seats on the boat).

I took a great video of DW and myself on Dudley, in front seats - we got plastered. We had two "lighter" people in the rear, log was front heavy - not a good combination.

Advice: expect to get wet, in varying degrees, on all three, dress accordingly.

We're taking a short one-day break from Disney on Sunday, May 12, mainly because my kids want to visit WWOHP. Since we're there, we also want to want to visit the other rides at IOA.

I noticed that there are 3 "wet" rides - Jurassic Park River Adventure, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls and Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges. Can you tell me how wet that the average person gets on each one? Perhaps you could compare it to similar WDW rides?

Thanks for your help.

The Barges are the same as Cali Rapids in Animal Kingdom. You can get drenched or not much at all. Plus, people have really good aim with water guns.

The falls are not like anything in Disney, but are a flume ride. Most of the time, you get wet, really wet.

River Adventure is the most like Splash Mountain, but more like those large boats that go up the hill, turn around, and splash down the hill. We found you get the most wet in the front few seats. However, the heavier the boat, the more chance of bigger splash. Smooth ride though the height is much higher than Splash.

We always take a morning and do all the water rides with our bathing suits and quick dry clothes and flip flops. We then go back to the hotel to change and return to the parks.

The Barges are the same as Cali Rapids in Animal Kingdom. You can get drenched or not much at all. Plus, people have really god aim with water guns.

I've never once seen a dry person coming off of the Barges. They don't even pretend you won't get wet. With Kali (and Grizzly in California) you at least have a chance, but not with the Barges in my experience.

I've only been on Ripsaw twice, but each time it was a totally soaked experience.

Jurassic has been back and forth.

But ultimately, we save the wet ride days for ONE day. First time we did that, it turned out to be a very rainy day, and we did wear ponchos b/c it was nearly winter and was cold and the ponchos kept us a bit warmer. On our last trip we just went on them and walked around drenched for an hour or two. :)

Like many flumes, DudleyDRRF all depends on your seat position and the weight distribution in the "log". I've gotten soaked, and hardly got a drop on different occasions.

Of course, one time I hardly got wet until the very end when my kids drenched me with the squirt guns overhead.

and there are many adults that bring quarters to shoot the water guns..

:wave2:

did i mention before i dropped $15 last year on those babies?

I think the best way to describe the wetness of the Popeye ride is to imagine jumping in the deep end of a swimming pool with your clothes on and then swimming to the shallow end to get out.

You get WET! It is my second favorite ride, just behind Jurassic park river adventure., which is hit it miss if you get wet.

I think that Popeye is without a doubt the best water ride I have been on. You will get as wet as if you had layed down fully clothed in a bath. We ride about 4 times on the trot as you are so wet it really doesn't matter. The first year we rode, the people in the same boat as us actually went and complained that you got too wet, it was so funny, we just couldn't stop laughing which probably wasn't very polite but we couldn't help it. We love going with people who haven't been on it before just to see their faces. I am actually laughing now as I think about it.
I cant wait to take my brothers family on it in July. We won't tell them how wet you get.

Should you wear your Regular Clothes or go back to Hotel and Get Bathing Suit's? We will be going in Oct 2013 :confused:

Rip Saw falls we got completely drenched. Like we had gone swimming in our clothes. It was summer so no big deal.
In November, we dragged my mom on JP. When we had been on it the year before, not really wet. This time we got soaked.
Plan to be soaked. I would recommend flip flops or sandles. Tennis shoes will be uncomfortable the rest of the day. We had carried flip flops and just stashed our tennis shoes in the lockers for the wet rides.

Should you wear your Regular Clothes or go back to Hotel and Get Bathing Suit's? We will be going in Oct 2013 :confused:

you can't do the ride in a bathing suit only.
you can wear them under clothes though.

i think the best way to do the water rides is to wear kwi dry clothes that day in the park. wear sandels perhaps.

many hotel guests will do the water rides for a certain time period and hit them all. then return to the hotel to change and go back to the park.

if you are staying off site, wear the kwi dry clothes or bring a change of clothes and store in a family locker.
change from the wet clothes to the dry clothes once you have completed all the water rides that day.

Thanks for your help.

according to this board Jurassic ride is closed most of may for rehab. my kids wont be happy with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter